PDA

View Full Version : A vote for the XR Bravo...

roadtrip se
06-03-2008, 10:20 PM
For those of you at AOTH, you know that I managed to have drive issues on both boats.

The Scorp lunched the entire upper gear set on the XZ. Just glad it happened while I was behind the wheel. Ka Ching.

The SE would not come out of gear at the end, resulting in a turn off the
key and crash landing into the docks.

I thought it was a shift cable, because the boat ran and throttled fine back to the marina. Close. A screw that holds the cable in place inside the upper came loose. Upon inspection, no damage.

I'll take the XR gears over the XZ any time.

tmdog
06-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Why would you crash into dock? Maybe you needed a oar.:wink:

Air 22
06-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Is your hand throttle/cable a stock unit by chance? Mine had a similar prob. A retaining screw came loose thus allowing the backing/retaining plate to loosen causing the throttle cable to come out of its socket...:eek!: After removing the throttle shifter it was an easy fix...

All this happend on the trailer and not on the water...stuck throttle..:eek!::shocking:

GOT SPRAY...??Glad to hear you fixed her....So Lake George is a go???????????:cool:
I have a helmet with lens for just such an occasion..:beer::thumbsup:

The Hedgehog
06-04-2008, 07:47 AM
For those of you at AOTH, you know that I managed to have drive issues on both boats.
The Scorp lunched the entire upper gear set on the XZ. Just glad it happened while I was behind the wheel. Ka Ching.
The SE would not come out of gear at the end, resulting in a turn off the
key and crash landing into the docks.
I thought it was a shift cable, because the boat ran and throttled fine back to the marina. Close. A screw that holds the cable in place inside the upper came loose. Upon inspection, no damage.
I'll take the XR gears over the XZ any time.

I am glad that you clarified the crash landing issue! I was beginning to think that was your standard docking procedure.:doh:

JK!

We do have folks that dock them that way down here. They usually come back after a hard day of pontoon boat rental. They still have all bumpers out, an overloaded pontoon and a boat full of drunk people. They come screaming in for a controlled crash. The guys down here at the marina can usually call it before they even come back to the dock. We are ready at the restaurant to watch and rate crashes.

Are you really thinking about putting XR gears in the scorp?

VetteLT193
06-04-2008, 07:56 AM
I am curious if they stopped making the XZ because the lower was too beefy for the upper? Total speculation, but I wonder if the lower doesn't 'give' any so the upper takes all the impact.

I also can't figure out why noise would ever be a concern on a performance drive... Can you upgrade to the straight cut XR gears in the XZ?

catch 22
06-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Maybe you needed a oar.:wink:
I know cuda has one. sorry:wink:

roadtrip se
06-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Just drive it like you stole it, or rented it...and land it near dry land when yer done!

Never thought about modifying the XZ drive to XR specs with new gears. I will have to check it out. I wonder if you could mate the XR upper to the XZ lower? For now, she is going back to standard spec and we are going to go practice a little more on throttling in the big water.

As for the XR boat, I had already scheduled a upper shell guts swap out, because the IMCO cav plate was tearing the drive metal off
where it bolts on. This was the primary reason for not wanting to run the boat at AOTH. It won't make Lake Geo, but I have told Dr. D that
I will run it in the Cig Rally, if he decides to make the trip. Little less to worry about without the possibility of shrapnel coming off the back of the boat.

Cuda
06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
I know cuda has one. sorry:wink:
Not! The only boat with an oar, is my jonboat. Perhaps you should invest in a paddle, due to your penchant for running out of gas! :)

Ps: Your dad won't need one, since he banned you from running the Minx.:smash:

Cuda
06-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I believe CUda was advised he needs to stock up..... :smash::doh::nilly:
Btw Scott, you were right about ethanol. I couldn't find the thread it was posted, but I went to three gas stations yesterday, and they all had up to 10% ethanol.:garfield:

VetteLT193
06-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Just drive it like you stole it, or rented it...and land it near dry land when yer done!
Never thought about modifying the XZ drive to XR specs with new gears. I will have to check it out. I wonder if you could mate the XR upper to the XZ lower? For now, she is going back to standard spec and we are going to go practice a little more on throttling in the big water.
As for the XR boat, I had already scheduled a upper shell guts swap out, because the IMCO cav plate was tearing the drive metal off
where it bolts on. This was the primary reason for not wanting to run the boat at AOTH. It won't make Lake Geo, but I have told Dr. D that
I will run it in the Cig Rally, if he decides to make the trip. Little less to worry about without the possibility of shrapnel coming off the back of the boat.

As I understand it the lowers on the XR and XZ are identical. the only difference between the drives are the upper gears. XR = straight cut XZ = helical cut. I imagine the noise from the upper gears is heard more than the lower so it makes sense.

Everything else I've read makes it sound like the whole case / etc is the same so I *think* an upgrade to XR specs is literally purchasing the XR upper gears... but, I think Merc is more qualified to give you a for sure answer than I am. It might even be the same cost...

blackhawk
06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
As I understand it the lowers on the XR and XZ are identical. the only difference between the drives are the upper gears. XR = straight cut XZ = helical cut. I imagine the noise from the upper gears is heard more than the lower so it makes sense.
Everything else I've read makes it sound like the whole case / etc is the same so I *think* an upgrade to XR specs is literally purchasing the XR upper gears... but, I think Merc is more qualified to give you a for sure answer than I am. It might even be the same cost...

You are correct the only difference is the upper gears. You can swap out the gears but the XR gears are slower. It also costs some $$$.

VetteLT193
06-04-2008, 06:37 PM
this thread is awesome. I wish there was little icon that had skeletons coming out of the closet:wink:

:popcorn:

blackhawk
06-04-2008, 06:39 PM
But they run cooler so you can remove the shower and regain your speed...
Anonymous :tooth: :tooth:

Didn't he say that he doesn't have a shower on there? Maybe if he would have this wouldn't have happened! :D http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s57/onesickpantera/couchsmilie.gif

Cuda
06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Didn't he say that he doesn't have a shower on there? Maybe if he would have this wouldn't have happened! :D http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s57/onesickpantera/couchsmilie.gif
:eek!:

roadtrip se
06-04-2008, 08:04 PM
You are correct the only difference is the upper gears. You can swap out the gears but the XR gears are slower. It also costs some $$$.

When I swapped from a standard Bravo upper to the XR upper on the 22, it cost me about one mile per hour in initial performance and the boat has actually run faster at times since then. The XR drive housing shows no build up that would indicate a hot drive.

I looked at the difference in cost between the gear sets and it is $400-500, much cheaper than a replacement. AND, there is no build up on the XZ that would indicate heat. I am considering a shower for insurance, but I sincerely doubt heat had anything to do with the failure.

Good ideas to check out, should we have additional issues with the new gear set. Thanks everyone.

Now, back to your regularily scheduled skeleton rattling....

Trueser
06-04-2008, 08:43 PM
When I swapped from a standard Bravo upper to the XR upper on the 22, it cost me about one mile per hour in initial performance and the boat has actually run faster at times since then. The XR drive housing shows no build up that would indicate a hot drive.
I looked at the difference in cost between the gear sets and it is $400-500, much cheaper than a replacement. AND, there is no build up on the XZ that would indicate heat. I am considering a shower for insurance, but I sincerely doubt heat had anything to do with the failure.
Good ideas to check out, should we have additional issues with the new gear set. Thanks everyone.
Now, back to your regularily scheduled skeleton rattling....

You gave up pissing off the back? And what about the OAR........

blackhawk
06-04-2008, 10:14 PM
When I swapped from a standard Bravo upper to the XR upper on the 22, it cost me about one mile per hour in initial performance and the boat has actually run faster at times since then

XR is generally 1-2 mph slower which is a fair trade in many situations but is overkill in others.