PDA

View Full Version : Four Winns U-17

Donzi Vol
06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
On my way home from the lake tonight I saw a u-17 for sale. I have no plan on buying it, but I'm curious about the boat. I've seen one on ebay before, going for much less than a Donzi of the same year. What's the history of this boat?

VetteLT193
06-03-2008, 08:59 PM
On my way home from the lake tonight I saw a u-17 for sale. I have no plan on buying it, but I'm curious about the boat. I've seen one on ebay before, going for much less than a Donzi of the same year. What's the history of this boat?

It was supposed to be the 'new' Donzi classic, created during the OMC years then sent off to Four Winns after the fact. Not many were built as far as I can tell. Speed claims always seem higher than comparable classics, but I still can't tell if it's dreamy owners or a totally different hull design that makes the boat faster.

Personally, I like the swim platform that many of them have... it seems to fit in. otherwise, there is no replacement for a Donzi :wink:

Donzi Vol
06-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Personally, I like the swim platform that many of them have... it seems to fit in. otherwise, there is no replacement for a Donzi :wink:

I agree. I was hoping I'd see an 18 classic a little further down the road!

Thanks for the reply. Just one of those curious things...

Carl C
06-04-2008, 06:59 AM
I recently read something about those in one of the magazines. It said they had a chine walk problem at higher speeds that couldn't be corrected and other handling issues that led to them being discontinued. Maybe I can dig that up later.

VetteLT193
06-04-2008, 07:19 AM
I recently read something about those in one of the magazines. It said they had a chine walk problem at higher speeds that couldn't be corrected and other handling issues that led to them being discontinued. Maybe I can dig that up later.

That was a crappy article. Some beef between the magazine and Four Winns.

The story as I know it is: Four Winns disabled the trim stop on the boat with the assumption that the driver would be a professional and wouldn't need or want it. The driver of the boat apparently didn't know what he was doing without the trim stop... Four Winns offered to let them re-test the boat with the trim stop enabled but the magazine turned them down.

The bottom of the Four Winns look really similar to Donzi Classics. I would put money that they are almost identical as far as the hull is concerned with a slight tweak / stretch here and there.

I think what really killed the boat is the market. There isn't much room for this style of boat in the market as it is... I can see a whole lot of buyers having a really hard time buying a Four Winns over a Donzi Classic if money is comparable.

glashole
06-04-2008, 07:54 AM
based on what i have seen the money is not comparable as they can be found at reasonable prices

friend of mine has one with the volvo and a 5.7 and it runs pretty good (60mph)

pounded a little more than my 16 in rough conditions

if you had the choice you would definitely want to be in a 16 or 18 when the going got real tough but nothing wrong with the boat

Formula Jr
06-04-2008, 09:00 PM
The U boats are 21 Deadrise - I think. Are lighter and with a slight rocker to the hulls. Hence, they ride rougher and air out a bit more and are faster with the same HP.

Whether they were an improvement on the Classic Donzi Straight Vs and 24 deadrise, depends very much on the pilot and where they boated.