PDA

View Full Version : Post pollution!

MOP
06-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Is it me or do others think that the Performance Talk section is getting over loaded with non perf posts, it is not that they are not bad posts but should be in other topic areas. Scot has worked hard to get the board set up really well and has posting rules which some just do not follow, I for one and I feel some others think it should be cleaned up. He setup sections to cover just about anything we could want to post, we have the what ever and the for sale and on and on but stuff still ends up in the Perf section. Notice this is in the correct section!

zimm17
06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Well, "performance" isn't exactly a great category. It's turned into the catch-all that doesn't cover fishing, the whatever, and classified section. The "whatever" should be the non-boating discussion.

We should have a "tech talk" section and the "tech articles" should actually be "stickies" or locked threads of good discussions in the past. The "tech talk" should discuss engines, props, drives, other systems, how-to, and diagnosis of problems.

Then a "general donzi talk" section to discuss everything else donzi related not technical: cleaning, waxing, interiors, donzi gear, etc. I think this would be the "catch-all" and have the most postings in it.

It really doesn't matter to me since I only hit the "new posts" button every time I visit.

I think that would get us going the right direction.:smash:

Carl C
06-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I just looked at the index page for Donzi Performance Talk and only saw a couple of mis-placed threads. Isn't it the moderator's job to move those threads? I agree that there could maybe be 1 or 2 new catagories like General Boating Discussion or Tech Talk but otherwise don't see a problem.

Tidbart
06-03-2008, 09:19 AM
I agree with you Phil. This has been an issue forever. The 'Whatever You Want To Talk About' section has helped considerably.
Look at the Performance section today, 'Donzi Swimwear', 'Banner Pics', 'Show Us Your Tag', 'WooHoo I Got It'...... these have no place in Performance.
What doesn't help, IMO, is the three stickies have to do with clothing, decals, and knobs. :doh: Maybe these should be in a 'For Sale' section.

Jack Frost
06-03-2008, 09:26 AM
if i didn't know any better i would think it was winter by reading this thread last i checked it was boating season go for a ride already will ya:nilly:

zimm17
06-03-2008, 09:28 AM
What doesn't help, IMO, is the three stickies have to do with clothing, decals, and knobs. :doh: Maybe these should be in a 'For Sale' section.

Or in my proposed "Donzi Talk" section and the tech goes into a "Tech Talk" section. The "Whatever you want to talk about" should have a sub title saying for non-boating discussions. Then we have that, donzi talk, and other boats- that should cover everything we need. OK, I'm done now.

edit: Maybe we should start a poll about the new catagories since vetteLT just said the magic word "I vote".

VetteLT193
06-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I vote to have it split into General Tech and Performance

Most of the stuff I talk about is not performance related, dash board, gauges, paint, interior, etc. But it doesn't really belong in the "whatever" section so it goes in performance...

Carl C
06-03-2008, 10:04 AM
I agree with you Phil. This has been an issue forever. The 'Whatever You Want To Talk About' section has helped considerably.
Look at the Performance section today, 'Donzi Swimwear', 'Banner Pics', 'Show Us Your Tag', 'WooHoo I Got It'...... these have no place in Performance.
What doesn't help, IMO, is the three stickies have to do with clothing, decals, and knobs. :doh: Maybe these should be in a 'For Sale' section. I'm guilty of the Banner Pics one but it it there because most of the pics are of Donzis, but you're right, it's in the wrong section. The WooHoo was by Harbormaster so I'd keep quiet about that one:wink::wink:. Some of the stuff for sale are board fundraisers and are stickied to several categories.

Jack Frost, I went boating all day yesterday. Today is cloudy and I'm sore anyway. I am going shopping for a chartplotter right now and then home to be a couch potato (or install the cp if I get it). How are things in Alaska? I'll be up in July.

Tidbart
06-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm guilty of the Banner Pics one but it it there because most of the pics are of Donzis, but you're right, it's in the wrong section. The WooHoo was by Harbormaster so I'd keep quiet about that one:wink::wink:. Some of the stuff for sale are board fundraisers and are stickied to several categories.

Jack Frost, I went boating all day yesterday. Today is cloudy and I'm sore anyway. I am going shopping for a chartplotter right now and then home to be a couch potato (or install the cp if I get it). How are things in Alaska? I'll be up in July.

Wasn't meaning to single anyone out.:wink: These were just some examples. I have posted things in the wrong sections in the past, also.:(

B

boxy
06-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm more concerned about the bullsh!t cut and paste 20 year old jokes that keep popping up every now and then ......

It wasn't funny when the water delivery guy told it to me in 1988, and it's not funny now.... :eek:

Come on Ladies, get outside..... :D :D :D

Trueser
06-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Agree,

I still would like to see a ZX / Z / ZR section. That way the larger boats won't get mixed in with the Classics. This may also draw in some new member's and knowledge.

We have another Paid Subscriber that recently purchased a 28ZX that is hesitant to post his new boat.

Look at how many ZX boats were at AOTH this year.

MOP
06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I do not feel that anyone should feel slighted that was not my intention, to a point we have just gotten a bit laxed. I looked over quite a few sections most are in very good shape, I have heard a few say I post there because it gets the most traffic. I can understand that thinking, but if all things are in their proper section then people will go to those sections. I am on several boat, truck, computer sites they move a miss placed post before the type cools. I think more so Scot deserves the respect for his hard work and maintenance of the site.

M.O.P.

Tidbart
06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Agree,

I still would like to see a ZX / Z / ZR section. That way the larger boats won't get mixed in with the Classics. This may also draw in some new member's and knowledge.

We have another Paid Subscriber that recently purchased a 28ZX that is hesitant to post his new boat.

I respectfully disagree. Most of the posts with technical type issues or problems have nothing to do with the boat itself. The motors and drives are common to all of them and they are all built the same way.
If you separate the boats into classes a lot of good information would potentially be missed out on by some. :wink:

B

RedDog
06-03-2008, 01:41 PM
My approach has been to use the Performance Section for anything Donzi related. The Whatever Section for anything non-Donzi related. Keep it simple

The Hedgehog
06-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Agree,

I agree with you on the hesitance to post issue. I used to almost feel out of place in that section (I seem to have gotten over it pretty well).

The issue I see with splitting the sections is when it comes to engine matters it would be kind of tough. I have gotten a bunch of great feedback on those types of issues from the classic guys. I can name about 10 classic guys that have given me some really good info. I would not want to miss out on that.

RE the ZX's and AOTH. I thought that ZX's had a great showing and was glad. Unfortunately we were 3 shy (Tex, 502STang and me). Maybe next year we will have an even better showing. Who knows, maybe CJMike will come down from Mn for the fun!

roadtrip se
06-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Don't make me quote 'trip...
Now wait a minute just a gosh darn minute here, I can quote myself any time of the day.

Besides just thinking about where I post something, how about WHAT I post, which has already been eluded to here by the Boxster.

Some general guidelines to think about:

1) Do I know anything about or have any real experience with the topic or question at hand, besides what I might be able to look up in a shop manual, on the web, or another performance boating site?

2) Is my response relevant to the topic at hand or am I about to take the topic completely off the rails?

3) Is my opinion just that, an OPINION, so should I really get all worked up and go on attack mode, should someone else's OPINION vary from mine? Would I say the same thing to that person, if they were standing in front of me, or am I just piling on? This is where it really helps if you attend some events and get to know the people behind the screen names.

4) Am I sober, have I thought out my postion, or maybe should I just wait twenty-four hours and see what things look like then?

5) Is there another chat board that might be more interested in things that I chose to post that have no remote relevance to the Donzi experience from a common interest perspective?

6) Have I performed a quick SEARCH on the archives before asking my question, which just might have been asked before?

Nobody is perfect, myself included, but a little decorum, class, restraint, and thought would certainly not hurt things here at the ranch...

Un-quote.

The Hedgehog
06-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Hah, I usually struggle with SE's number 4!:hangum:

gold-n-rod
06-10-2008, 01:16 PM
4) Am I sober, have I thought out my postion, or maybe should I just wait twenty-four hours and see what things look like then?

Well, that's all wrong. :wink: If I wait 24 hours, then I'm no longer drunk. :doh:

Plus, that kind of thinking would lower our national birth rate!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bonk:

boxy
06-10-2008, 01:43 PM
2) Is my response relevant to the topic at hand or am I about to take the topic completely off the rails?

Hah, I usually struggle with SE's number 4!:hangum:

The number 4 don't drunk post thingy I can handle, it's usually number 2 that I have trouble with..... :smash:

BUIZILLA
06-10-2008, 03:49 PM
thankfully, I qualify for #7 :nilly: :)

Uncle Fester
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
if i didn't know any better i would think it was winter by reading this thread last i checked it was boating season go for a ride already will ya:nilly:

I never follow the rules. So thanks to #4....

Yes Jack... it is still winter up here in the NW. Carl, you don't have to go to Alaska to see fresh snow....so much for global warming. WHEN WILL SUMMER EVER GET HERE?

I don't start any threads anymore cuase DG went bye bye (my only expertise....thanks) :hangum:

I like this board. I like the people on here. I'd like another beer. I think that the owner and the moderators are great. I think I've met allot of good friends here. I'd like another full beer. I think you can never please everybody (heck... I can't even keep both my teenage daughters happy at the same time and they are only two). I think I would really like to see the sun. I think that snow in June is B.S. I think I need another beer

I guess on the good side, with the weather so crappy I'm not spending any gas in the boat yet. Only been on the water once this year. Maybe that's why I need another beer....again

Thanks #4 I think I'll have another beer :smash:

roadtrip se
06-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I never follow the rules. So thanks to #4....
Yes Jack... it is still winter up here in the NW. Carl, you don't have to go to Alaska to see fresh snow....so much for global warming. WHEN WILL SUMMER EVER GET HERE?
I don't start any threads anymore cuase DG went bye bye (my only expertise....thanks) :hangum:
I like this board. I like the people on here. I'd like another beer. I think that the owner and the moderators are great. I think I've met allot of good friends here. I'd like another full beer. I think you can never please everybody (heck... I can't even keep both my teenage daughters happy at the same time and they are only two). I think I would really like to see the sun. I think that snow in June is B.S. I think I need another beer
I guess on the good side, with the weather so crappy I'm not spending any gas in the boat yet. Only been on the water once this year. Maybe that's why I need another beer....again
Thanks #4 I think I'll have another beer :smash:

That there is funny.

A few years back, a bunch of us used to set a time on a Friday or Saturday night, get together in the chat room, throw a bunch of crap around, and call out remote shots. Sometimes, we would have 12+ people hanging around.

By the time I was done, I was going to bed, not posting some incoherent diatribe on the board. It was hell cleaning up the keyboard and my desk the next day, after all of the laughing I did.

Maybe, we should start this again...

boxy
06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
That there is funny.
A few years back, a bunch of us used to set a time on a Friday or Saturday night, get together in the chat room, throw a bunch of crap around, and call out remote shots. Sometimes, we would have 12+ people hanging around.
By the time I was done, I was going to bed, not posting some incoherent diatribe on the board. It was hell cleaning up the keyboard and my desk the next day, after all of the laughing I did.
Maybe, we should start this again...

I always liked the Thurdsday night get togethers. I could shoot the bull with East Coast guys early in the evening, head out for a 10:00 hockey game, and have a couple of beers with Lenny, and Owen on the West Coast swing when I got home around 1:00 AM :D :D