PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read on offshore drilling...

gcarter
06-03-2008, 07:01 AM
http://www.townhall.com/Common/PrintPage.aspx?g=2a64286d-166a-410f-b211-518de08daa0f&t=c

The Environmental Benefits of Offshore Drilling
Humberto Fontova
Monday, June 02, 2008

Louisiana produces almost 30 per cent of America's commercial fisheries. Only Alaska (ten times the size of the Bayou state) produces slightly more. So obviously, Louisiana's coastal waters are immensely rich and prolific in seafood.

These same coastal waters contain 3,200 of the roughly 3,700 offshore production platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. From these, Louisiana also produces 25 per cent of America's domestic oil, and no major oil spill has ever soiled its coast. So for those interested in evidence over hysterics, by simply looking bayou-ward, a lesson in the “environmental perils” of offshore oil drilling presents itself very clearly.

Fashionable Florida, on the other hand, which zealously prohibits offshore oil drilling, had its gorgeous "Emerald Coast" panhandle beaches soiled by an ugly oil spill in 1976. This spill, as almost all oil spills, resulted from the transportation of oil – not from the extraction of oil. Assuming such as Hugo Chavez deign to keep selling us oil, we'll need increasingly more and we'll need to keep transporting it stateside – typically to refineries in Louisiana and Texas.

This path takes those tankers (as the one in 1976) smack in front of Florida's panhandle beaches. Recall the Valdez, the Cadiz, the Argo Merchant. These were all tanker spills. The production of oil is relatively clean and safe. Again, it's the transportation that presents the greatest risk. And even these spills (though hyped hysterically as environmental catastrophes) always play out as minor blips, those pictures of oil-soaked seagulls notwithstanding. To the horror and anguish of professional greenies, Alaska's Prince William Sound recovered completely. More birds get fried by landing on power lines and smashed to pulp against picture windows in one week than perished from three decades of oil spills.

For fear of oil spills, as of 2008, the U.S. Federal government and various states ban drilling in thousands upon thousands of square miles off the U.S. Coast. These areas, primarily on the Outer Continental Shelf, hold an estimated 115 billion barrels of oil and 633 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. This leaves America 's energy needs increasingly at the mercy of foreign autocrats, despots and maniacs. All the while worldwide demand for oil ratchets ever and ever upward.

"Environmentalists" wake up in the middle of the night sweating and whimpering about offshore oil platforms only because they've never seen what's under them. This proliferation of marine life around the platforms turned on its head every "environmental expert" opinion of its day.

The original plan, mandated by federal environmental "experts" back in the late '40s, was to remove the big, ugly, polluting, environmentally hazardous contraptions as soon as they stopped producing. Fine, said the oil companies.

About 15 years ago some wells played out off Louisiana and the oil companies tried to comply. Their ears are still ringing from the clamor fishermen put up. Turns out those platforms are going nowhere, and by popular demand of those with a bigger stake in the marine environment than any "environmentalist."

Every "environmental" superstition against these structures was turned on its head. Marine life had EXPLODED around these huge artificial reefs: A study by LSU's Sea Grant college shows that 85 percent of Louisiana fishing trips involve fishing around these platforms. The same study shows 50 times more marine life around an oil production platform than in the surrounding Gulf bottoms.

An environmental study (by apparently honest scientists) revealed that urban runoff and treated sewage dump 12 times the amount of petroleum into the Gulf than those thousands of oil production platforms. And oil seeping naturally through the ocean floor into the Gulf, where it dissipates over time, accounts for 7 times the amount spilled by rigs and pipelines in any given year.

The Flower Garden coral reefs lie off the Louisiana-Texas border. Unlike any of the Florida Keys reefs, they're surrounded by dozens of offshore oil platforms.

These have been pumping away for the past 50 years. Yet according to G.P. Schmahl, a Federal biologist who worked for decades in both places, "The Flower Gardens are much healthier, more pristine than anything in the Florida Keys. It was a surprise to me," he admits. "And I think it's a surprise to most people."

"A key measure of the health of a reef is the amount of area taken up by coral," according to a report by Steve Gittings, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's science coordinator for marine sanctuaries. "Louisiana's Flower Garden boasts nearly 50 percent coral cover. In the Florida Keys it can run as little as 5 percent."

Mark Ferrulo, a Florida "environmental activist" uses the very example of Louisiana for his anti-offshore drilling campaign, calling Louisiana's coast "the nation's toilet."

Florida's fishing fleet must love fishing in toilets, and her restaurants serving what's in them. Most of the red snapper you eat in Florida restaurants are caught around Louisiana's oil platforms. We see the Florida-registered boats tied up to them constantly. Sometimes us locals can barely squeeze in.

In 1986 Louisiana started the Rigs to Reef program, a cooperative effort by oil companies, the feds and the state. This program literally pays the oil companies to keep the platforms in the Gulf. Now some platforms are simply cut off at the bottom and toppled over as artificial reefs; over 60 have been toppled thus far.

A few years back, Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries officials were invited to Australia to help them with a similar program. Think about it: here's Australia, the nation with the Great Barrier Reef, the world's biggest natural reef, the world's top dive destination – they're asking help from “the nation's toilet” about developing exciting dive sites by using the very structures that epitomize (in greenie eyes) environmental disaster.

America desperately needs more domestic oil. In the process of producing it, we'd also get dynamite fishing, dynamite diving, and a cheaper tab for broiled red snapper with shrimp topping.

Copyright © 2008 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

smoothie
06-03-2008, 12:22 PM
http://www.greenstarusa.com/index.html

gcarter
06-03-2008, 12:33 PM
You know, I read about that last week and I think it's a great idea. If it works and they can get production into the millions of barrels/year it will be a great addition to our supply and maybe better than taking food out of the system to make alcohol.

smoothie
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
:biggrin.: George...you werent supposed to agree with me on this one...According to their press releases they are already doing it in Africa...Im still searching for more info on it.

SAN DIEGO, CALIF. (BUSINESS WIRE) Dec. 7, 2006 — Green Star Products, Inc. (US OTC: GSPI) recently announced that it has signed an agreement with De Beers Fuel Limited of South Africa to build 90 biodiesel reactors. The first reactor was delivered (by air freight) on November 15, 2006 (see GSPI Press Release dated Nov. 13, 2006 for details).

The GSPI / De Beers biodiesel project with a total of 900 million gallons of biodiesel production capacity (at full capacity) offers an opportunity to acquire valuable carbon credits.

cutwater
06-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll trade you 5 million carbon offsets for one of those generators... I've been buying all the carbon offsets I can find on eBay.

gcarter
06-03-2008, 02:10 PM
:biggrin.: George...you werent supposed to agree with me on this one...
Heck, the more the merrier.
My main issue w/the current leadership in Congress is they don't have a plan that doesn't start in under 20 years.
Drilling our own oil makes sense...and we can see it in probably just a few years.
In the mean time, the poorest citizens can't catch a break. They own the least efficient cars and trucks and have the least to support them. They're the ones That'll be hurtin for at least 20 years.
What's goin' on is a loser. I mean, my company buys my gas, but our fuel costs have gone up $1,500.00 over the same time as last year. That's money I could have taken as salary.
Congress's answer is to raise taxes on the oil companies:doh: Boy, that makes sense! I wonder if congress knows who pays corporate taxes?
And the one I heard the other day was......(drum roll).......NATIONALIZE the oil companies
That's another good one! How does that work since we're buying oil from other nationalized oil companies?

smoothie
06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
The oil companies say that its "profitable" now to drill domestic oil because of the price of a barrel....was cheaper to buy overseas, I know we have been busy lately with area machine shops that make valves and pipe for em.

gcarter
06-03-2008, 03:08 PM
The article I read the other day was of a company building an algae based oil production facility that produced a "crude" that could be refined in existing facilities. That makes sense to me. If it works. There's lots of schemes right now. Some will work in the existing climate of high crude prices like you mentioned.
What would be better is algae or some other non-food sourced feed stock that coulld readily be refined and due to efficiency of scale, be competitive in the $60.00/barrel range.
Or drill like crazy for enough natural gas for Hydrogen production to fuel fuel cells.
There's always a fly in the ointment.
Then we're back to the 20 year problem.

smoothie
06-04-2008, 07:46 AM
The article I read the other day was of a company building an algae based oil production facility that produced a "crude" that could be refined in existing facilities. That makes sense to me. If it works. There's lots of schemes right now. Some will work in the existing climate of high crude prices like you mentioned.
What would be better is algae or some other non-food sourced feed stock that coulld readily be refined and due to efficiency of scale, be competitive in the $60.00/barrel range.
Or drill like crazy for enough natural gas for Hydrogen production to fuel fuel cells.
There's always a fly in the ointment.
Then we're back to the 20 year problem.

George,,,do you have the name of this company ???

gcarter
06-04-2008, 10:23 AM
George,,,do you have the name of this company ???
No, but here is a similar article. Please not the warning about HYPE!!!!!!
Kind of reminds me of the tech days a few years ago.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/18138/page2/

Monday, February 05, 2007
Algae-Based Fuels Set to Bloom
Oil from microorganisms could help ease the nation's energy woes.
By Kevin Bullis
Relatively high oil prices, advances in technology, and the Bush administration's increased emphasis on renewable fuels are attracting new interest in a potentially rich source of biofuels: algae. A number of startups are now demonstrating new technology and launching large research efforts aimed at replacing hundreds of millions of gallons of fossil fuels by 2010, and much more in the future.

Algae makes oil naturally. Raw algae can be processed to make biocrude, the renewable equivalent of petroleum, and refined to make gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, and chemical feedstocks for plastics and drugs. Indeed, it can be processed at existing oil refineries to make just about anything that can be made from crude oil. This is the approach being taken by startups Solix Biofuels, based in Fort Collins, CO, and LiveFuels, based in Menlo Park, CA.

Alternatively, strains of algae that produce more carbohydrates and less oil can be processed and fermented to make ethanol, with leftover proteins used for animal feed. This is one of the potential uses of algae produced by startup GreenFuel Technologies Corporation, based in Cambridge, MA.

The theoretical potential is clear. Algae can be grown in open ponds or sealed in clear tubes, and it can produce far more oil per acre than soybeans, a source of oil for biodiesel. Algae can also clean up waste by processing nitrogen from wastewater and carbon dioxide from power plants. What's more, it can be grown on marginal lands useless for ordinary crops, and it can use water from salt aquifers that is not useful for drinking or agriculture. "Algae have the potential to produce a huge amount of oil," says Kathe Andrews-Cramer, the technical lead researcher for biofuels and bioenergy programs at Sandia National Laboratories, in Albuquerque, NM. "We could replace certainly all of our diesel fuel with algal-derived oils, and possibly replace a lot more than that."

To be sure, the use of algae for liquid fuels has been studied extensively in the past, including through a program at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) that ran for nearly a decade. At the time, the results were not encouraging. The NREL program was terminated in 1996, largely because at the time crude-oil prices were far too low for algae to compete.

But Eric Jarvis, an NREL scientist, says that enough has changed that NREL researchers expect to restart the program within the next six months to a year. When the program was cancelled in 1996, oil prices were relatively low. Today's higher oil prices will make it easier for algae to compete. Still, Jarvis cautions that "you have to be careful because there's a lot of hype out there right now."

Biotech advances in the past decade could help. New genomic and proteomic technologies make it much easier to understand the mechanisms involved in algae-oil production. One of the challenges researchers have faced is that while some types of algae can produce large amounts of oil--as much as 60 percent of their weight--they only do this when they're starved for nutrients. But when they're starved for nutrients, they lose another of their attractive features: their ability to quickly grow and reproduce. Researchers hope to understand the molecular switches that cause increased oil production, with the added hope of triggering it without starving the algae. This could dramatically increase oil production and drive down prices.

A better understanding of biology may help researchers address another problem. The cheapest way to grow algae is in open ponds. But open ponds full of nutrients invite other species to take over, competing with the algae and cutting down production. LiveFuels, which is funding and coordinating research at its own lab and at those at both Sandia and the NREL, hopes to create algal ecosystems that resist such invaders by ensuring that all the nutrients are converted to forms the algae can easily use, says David Kingsbury, the chair of the company's scientific advisory board.

Recent tests of an algae-based system developed by GreenFuel, which, unlike LiveFuels, is developing closed bioreactors, showed that it could capture about 80 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted from a power plant during the day when sunlight is available. Although this carbon dioxide will later be released when the fuel is burned in vehicles, the carbon dioxide would have entered the atmosphere anyway. Reusing it in renewable liquid fuels makes it possible to prevent the release of carbon dioxide from fossil fuels, thereby decreasing total emissions.

The growing interest in regulating carbon-dioxide emissions could also be a boon to algal fuels. "If there is a carbon tax, or another way to basically make money by capturing carbon dioxide, that could definitely impact the economics," Jarvis says. But GreenFuel's John Lewnard, vice president of process development, says the company thinks it can reach competitive prices without carbon taxes.

But for now, lowering costs will mean overcoming many technical hurdles. "Clearly, [producing fuel from algae] can be done," says Lissa Morgenthaler Jones, LiveFuels's CEO. "The only question is whether we can do it cheaply. And the only way we're going to find that out is if we do it--if we actually go out, crank it through, spend some millions on it, and make it happen."

There is plenty of federal interest these days. In his State of the Union address, President Bush set an ambitious goal of replacing 20 percent of gasoline consumption in the United States by 2017, largely by producing 35 billion gallons of renewable fuels. Meeting those goals will be a challenge. Right now, biofuels come from food crops such as soybeans and corn; already the demand for corn to produce ethanol is driving up staple foods' prices and fueling protests in Mexico. One alternative to food sources is cellulosic materials such as wood chips, grass, and cornstalks, which are more abundant than corn grain. But these require special processing methods, and although some of these techniques have been demonstrated at small plants, they have yet to be proved commercially.

Copyright Technology Review 2007.

smoothie
06-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Found it!
http://venturebeat.com/2008/05/29/sapphire-energy-gets-open-checkbook-from-investors-for-algae-based-gasoline/

gcarter
06-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Found it!
http://venturebeat.com/2008/05/29/sapphire-energy-gets-open-checkbook-from-investors-for-algae-based-gasoline/
Yep, not the same article, but it is the same company.