PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Assistance Requested Sweet 16

xedmoc
06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Hello Donzi Wizards,

I am considering the purchase of this 1990 Sweet 16...from looking at it, does anything look out of the ordinary? I hope I have not put this in the wrong section and thank-you all for looking and your opinions in advance.

Images;

http://doubleguncigar.com/doublegungallery/v/donzi_002/

Thank-You Very Much,

XEDMOC aka Eric :propeller:

surewin
06-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I have the same color and year boat with the exception of the trim tabs and thru hull exhaust that I bought brand new. I still have it and I love the boat. The "L" front passenger seat gets a few compaints but if your not intending on a lot of people out there then your fine. The boat looks to be in great shape from your photos. It is an 18 yo boat and seems to have been kept nicely or redone. The stripe usually fades a bit and the upolstry usually has a few issues but that is not evedent from your photos. As to a price keep you eye on Ebay, there is one on there now pretty low. Good luck.

Tony
06-09-2008, 05:26 PM
We loved the lounge seating in our Ski Sporter and, imo, it does not at all limit the seating potential...but rather it gives you more options.
Holy cow, those are some wide tips, even assuming it is a Ford package.
Which OMC outdrive is it?

:beer:

The Hedgehog
06-09-2008, 05:46 PM
They have to run the OMC tips wide to get around the steering. Or you can squeeze in over the top. It is probably a chevy

Looks clean in the pics. That guy has a ton of regular pics and no motor or dash pics.

MOP
06-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Ok I will "Hedge" on this one!!! It is a Ford 302 I had the very same boat, I loved the boat. Look to see if it has a "RED" cable going from the shift converter to the drive, if it does it has the updated shift mod. If there is no red cable that and the ignition pack should be changed, by that time the drive had 5degree cut gears a big plus. The drive is quite a bit stronger then an Alpha and a snap to change out the water pump, but the mod I mentioned above makes it damn near bullet proof! Do not try a cleaver prop on it, the boat will develop a bad twitch when trimming up at speed it will scare the "H" out of you and your passengers!

smbarcelow
06-10-2008, 09:06 AM
That's a good looking boat. Good luck with the purchase.

The Hedgehog
06-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Ok I will "Hedge" on this one!!! It is a Ford 302 I had the very same boat, I loved the boat. Look to see if it has a "RED" cable going from the shift converter to the drive, if it does it has the updated shift mod. If there is no red cable that and the ignition pack should be changed, by that time the drive had 5degree cut gears a big plus. The drive is quite a bit stronger then an Alpha and a snap to change out the water pump, but the mod I mentioned above makes it damn near bullet proof! Do not try a cleaver prop on it, the boat will develop a bad twitch when trimming up at speed it will scare the "H" out of you and your passengers!

My father has a 1990 OMC boat. It has a chevy but it is a V-6.

I had a 302 in my 66 Mustang (Yes it was a 66 but I did an engine swap from a 200). I thought it was a good engine and would own another.

That being said, I do know that a bunch of the OMC's were Ford and I think that there was some overlap.:doh:

Take us to school Phil!:cool:

Oh yeah, That OMC drive is tough.

MOP
06-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Does your dads have an OMC or Merc setup, have not run onto a Chevy V6 OMC one.

The Hedgehog
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Does your dads have an OMC or Merc setup, have not run onto a Chevy V6 OMC one.

OMC. They made a few versions. 2 bbl, 4bbl, 4 bbl HO.

On the big blocks OMC did a 460 King Cobra and a 454 King Cobra. Fishin Sucks has a 454 KC in his Black Widow he is selling.

Where is gets fuzzy for me is the small blocks. I have seen a 350 but don't know what else they offered.

xedmoc
06-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Now I feel good about the boat, to be honest it's my first boat and I did not know what the hell I was doing when I purchased it...The gent that had it before me was very nice and showed me a lot, let me drive it with no limitations - I liked it and went for it, now it's in my garage -

Thanks again for all your help, and I'll post more pics soon of my trip up to northern wisconsin for a week of lake runnin.

Regards,

Eric aka xedmoc :popcorn:

The Hedgehog
06-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Now I feel good about the boat, to be honest it's my first boat and I did not know what the hell I was doing when I purchased it...The gent that had it before me was very nice and showed me a lot, let me drive it with no limitations - I liked it and went for it, now it's in my garage -
Thanks again for all your help, and I'll post more pics soon of my trip up to northern wisconsin for a week of lake runnin.
Regards,
Eric aka xedmoc :popcorn:

Sweet, you will love it.

Now tell us what is under the hatch!!!:nilly:

xedmoc
06-11-2008, 09:03 AM
and post'em tonight - please do respond then, as I'd love to know what I got here...Thank-You All Very Much.

Eric aka xedmoc...:pimp:

smbarcelow
06-11-2008, 12:16 PM
You've got one of the coolest boats ever made. Anything you find out here will be icing on the cake. :cool:

xedmoc
06-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Check it out;

http://doubleguncigar.com/doublegungallery/v/donzi_engine/

Thank-You all very much for your opinions and sorry for taking so long to get these up.

Eric aka xedmoc :propeller:

surewin
07-21-2008, 08:09 AM
I would say you have a Chevy 4.3L V6. Just like my 1990 S16.

Carl C
07-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Eric, congrats on picking a Donzi Classic for your first boat. I predict more questions from you. I've never driven a 16 but if they are like the 18 and 22 then they take some skill and seat time to drive them properly. They are not really a beginner's boat. I can't speak for this board but I think it's safe to say that that is one thing we love about them.:cool:

BigGrizzly
07-21-2008, 08:42 AM
I have driven them all and have a 16,18 and a 22 they are all fine boats. With time you will love to drive it. One problem is after the Donzi you will notice the short cominings of other boats.

MOP
07-21-2008, 09:58 AM
And I can see you do have the upgraded red shift cable going to the drive, I still do not believe there were any Merc options in 90. The V6 is a nice engine fairly cheap to operate, with the tabs it will ski and tube quite well and top out at 50+.