PDA

View Full Version : leak in exaust block off plate

margo
06-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Any one ever have this problem...There,s a plate thats bolted through the transom that blocks off the hole that the exhaust pipe off the Y would go through if you had the exhaust that went through the prop...Mine was coroded i think due to the salt water it was used in...Has a hole in it..Marina waiting on the new part...Had to lift the engine to get at it...This is the first one they ever did any sugestions....86 Donzi minx Thanks Joe

MOP
06-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Joe I see you did not beat them to the punch!

margo
06-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Your right Mop when i called they already had the engine lifted but not out...They have a kid working there who is small enough to sneak under the engine and he removed the plate...As of today it,s back on and the engine is bolted back Will hook up everything else tommorow and try it Will keep you posted Thanks for your suggestion...Joe

rbarna
04-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Is there any way to fix this exact issue without pulling the engine? perhaps something from the outside?

The Hedgehog
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
That is good that they had someone that could sneak under. Its pretty hard to do without removing the engine

MOP
04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Is there any way to fix this exact issue without pulling the engine? perhaps something from the outside?

Yes I have done it a few boats! You need to clean the shields exhaust hole prime & paint to stop any existing corrosion, next the lower 2/3 of the opening needs to be tapped off. Go and buy a can of "EXPANDING" foam most hardware stores stock it, insert the cans tube well into the exhaust hole. Pull the lever and slowly move it in and maybe 1/2" at a time as the foam expands it will try to grab the tube just pull out a little in until free motion is felt. When the tube s end nears the openings end the foam will continue to expand and push the tape of, let it fully cure then trim off the big blob that hangs out. I normally apply a few coats of black "enamal" paint over the foam just for looks, enamal will not affect the foam like laquer does. I know the owners of two of the boats I fixed in this manner quite a few years back sill no problems!

Phil

Donziweasel
04-21-2009, 05:07 PM

Don't know how mechanical you are, but you can pull your engine in less than an hour and a half by yourself. Then, the leaks can be repaired properly, and you can see if anything else needs attention. Plus, you can do routine maintenece on the engine while it is out (oil change, plugs, etc....). Grab a rainy weekend, buy the beer, and invite a few guys over to help.........:)

fogducker III
04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Yes I have done it a few boats! You need to clean the shields exhaust hole prime & paint to stop any existing corrosion, next the lower 2/3 of the opening needs to be tapped off. Go and buy a can of "EXPANDING" foam most hardware stores stock it, insert the cans tube well into the exhaust hole. Pull the lever and slowly move it in and maybe 1/2" at a time as the foam expands it will try to grab the tube just pull out a little in until free motion is felt. When the tube s end nears the openings end the foam will continue to expand and push the tape of, let it fully cure then trim off the big blob that hangs out. I normally apply a few coats of black "enamal" paint over the foam just for looks, enamal will not affect the foam like laquer does. I know the owners of two of the boats I fixed in this manner quite a few years back sill no problems!

Phil

SORRY, totally wrong, you do not want to spray "expanding" foam into the exhaust outlet/port. Even if you never ever plan on using it again, it causes other problems.

Best thing to do is a new exhaust block off plate, you can make one out of aluminium or stainless if you have a template or have access to a Y pipe to trace a template, some "gasket goo", stainless bolts and your good to go............

gcarter
04-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Minx's have a couple of extra challenges to pull the engine. The hatch is very short, usually one manifold has to be removed, and the engine turned sideways to remove. Of course if it doesn't have to be removed like move it forward while the engine remains below the deck, or turn it 90* and move it forward all while it is below the deck. Remember the engine hatch is about 6" higher than an 18 or 22.

Donzi Racer
04-21-2009, 07:28 PM

Phil

This is a situation where there is a possibility of installing a new outdrive during off months & also considering Captains choice exhaust in the future. Hate to spend a fortune to pull engine now and then do it again and we have someone that is in New York and needs a good and reasonable Mechanic to do this & other minor fix-ups & doesn't want to have to rob a bank to get some things done. Phil, you being reasonably close to New York City, would you have anyone that you would trust to do some reasonable work for this New to Donzi Family member? Thanks for any help you guys can help with. Tom