PDA

View Full Version : Gimbal Bearing

Boiler56
06-01-2008, 09:09 AM
How often do you guys grease your gimbal bearings? I had to replace mine when I bought my boat in August, and I've been greasing it about 20 hours or so. Too much/ too little?

MOP
06-01-2008, 09:28 AM
How often do you guys grease your gimbal bearings? I had to replace mine when I bought my boat in August, and I've been greasing it about 20 hours or so. Too much/ too little?

A little bit much but but I do it even more, most docked boats get greased in the fall and don't get another shot until the next fall no matter how many hours they put on. I also go a little overboard, I trailer and flush so I give it about 1/2 a pump every time I flush. I fell all trailered boats should give it a small shot every time they flush or haul out, one never knows when you might get a bellows leak. By hitting it every time there is a much better then average shot at not having to replace the bearing in case of a leak. The gimble shields bore is only going to take just so many bearing pulls before you have to start using Loc Tite believe me I know, if the bearing goes in very easy fair chance it will spin and wipe out the bore.