PDA

View Full Version : sparkplugs removal sugestions 4.3lx

mike o
05-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Well, I would like to change the plugs in the 95 16'. bought the boat used with low hours. Runs great, but not sure how old they are... Any tricks, or just start the cant see -um , body contortions .... Thanks

Tidbart
05-31-2008, 03:55 PM
blow out or clean the area around the plugs, gap the plugs, r&r the plugs one at a time so as not to cross the wires, reinstall and torque, replace wire. pretty straight forward as long as you don't break one upon removal.:doh:

goood luck

Bob

smokediver
05-31-2008, 07:47 PM
I don't envy you ! LOL ... pulling the manifolds makes it easy ... Nothing is easy in the 16 !

Newby
05-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Well, I would like to change the plugs in the 95 16'. bought the boat used with low hours. Runs great, but not sure how old they are... Any tricks, or just start the cant see -um , body contortions .... Thanks

Be careful as you go to tighten the plugs. I have GLM manifolds and with my plug socket, I have a tendency to crack the new plugs as I try to snug them up. It is not that they are being tightened too much. It is the angle of the socket on the plug due to the manifold clearance around the plug. Good luck and maybe have a few extra plugs.

Tidbart
06-01-2008, 02:35 PM
blow out or clean the area around the plugs, gap the plugs, r&r the plugs one at a time so as not to cross the wires, reinstall and torque, replace wire. pretty straight forward as long as you don't break one upon removal.:doh:

goood luck

Bob

Sorry, looks like I misunderstood your dilemna.:wink: Went through the same issues with my 18. Little tight in there.:eek!:

Bob

MOP
06-01-2008, 05:37 PM
An offset box end can be helpful to break them loose, I never ever pulled the manifolds to do plugs. Though on twin I/O's it would have been real nice, problem was there was no way to get the center exhausts off many without pulling one engine.

penbroke
06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Something like this might help...

It is made from a 12 point deep socket cut to about 1-1/8" long welded to a 3/8" extension cut off to about 1-7/8". If you make one be sure to orient the square recess on the extension as shown so a 3/8" breaker bar will extend straight off the side of the socket.

Frank

MOP
06-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Frank always comes up with neat little welded goodies!

mike o
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the help all. Im gonna dive in to the old engine compartment when I get a few minutes.. But there no rush, because of the new New Hampshire state law, that requires I have to get a boating license now..... after 50 yrs of having a boat (since I was 6yrs old).