PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Races - Detroit River

Carl C
05-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Yup, airplane races. They were practicing today but I couldn't get very close because the river was closed! The giant cones under the bridge are air inflated and the planes go down and slalom through them while turning their planes sideways. They were doing all kinds of tricks.

zelatore
05-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Redbull races?

Those guys run here in the bay every year with the fleet week celibration. Pretty wild, especially when they hit a gate out of shape and cut a pylon.

Unfortunatly it's always a crap-shoot as to what our weather will be like. Half the time you can't see them until they are right down on the deck thanks to our famous fog layers.

Carl C
05-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Redbull races?

Those guys run here in the bay every year with the fleet week celibration. Pretty wild, especially when they hit a gate out of shape and cut a pylon.

Unfortunatly it's always a crap-shoot as to what our weather will be like. Half the time you can't see them until they are right down on the deck thanks to our famous fog layers. Yes, Redbull races. I don't ever remember them being in Detroit before. The paper said it is the first time in 32 races that they will be racing through two countries. 12 pilots "hand picked" from around the world will compete. Only two of this years races will be in the USA. Today was qualifying and tomorrow the final eight will be in the actual races competing for best time through obstacle courses. It's pretty cool but I wish they were jets. The USA side has sold out - 50,000 tickets and I hear they weren't cheap!

Air 22
05-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Great Sticks for sure...:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Redbullairrace

Carl C
05-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Great Sticks for sure...:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Redbullairrace That water looks familiar. Cool video, it looks like they go through a lot of cones:eek!:.

Air 22
06-01-2008, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=Carl C;452326]That water looks familiar. Cool video, it looks like they go through a lot of cones:eek!:.

To windy on SAT thats why the mistakes and cnx of practice...Those guys sure can cut the turns!!!:)

Carl C
06-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Well they got all of the qualifying and racing in on Sunday. I was hoping the winds would have it carrying over until today so I could head down in the boat. This was the first time it's ever been in Detroit and if the crowd estimates of 750,000 people total watching from two countries are close I suspect it'll be back. All paid seats were sold out. Bars and restaurants ran out of food and booze:eek!:! Sounds like it was an amazing show.

blue-z
06-02-2008, 09:20 AM
I was there. It was amazing. Windsor and Detroit rock.