PDA

View Full Version : Volvo DPR outdrives

cutwater
05-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Looks nice... Does anyone know anything about them? At some point I'm going to switch the old Cobra outdrive to something newer, but I can't find any numbers on them. Even the brochures are vague. They have integrated hydraulic steering, which is a plus.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marine_leisure_engines/drives/dpr_duoprop/
Integrated hydraulic steering
Handles "massive" torque
High-speed version of the DPH drives

But that's all it says. It's recommended for Diesel - does that mean that it doesn't handle high RPMs very well? I can't find any for sale anywhere.

onesubdrvr
05-29-2008, 06:13 PM
That is a great looking drive, and I wouldn't mind having one hanging off the back of my Donzi (if I had one). I think the biggest problem with this drive would be prop selection. A lot of the single props can be re-hubbed to work with different drives, but I imagine the duo-props aren't as easy to work. I imagine to properly prop a new set-up could cost you a small fortune,...... but when you get it all worked out, let us all know so when I put some on my Donzi,...........when I get it, most of the leg work will be done already ;)

Wayne

Also, I looked at doing it on the Ragazza, a standard Volvo drive (SX) is nearly an exact swap for a Cobra drive, no transom re-work, I think you have to drill one more hole or something along those lines, but it's a pretty simple swap (from what I can remember).

zelatore
05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Hmmmm....I'm a volvo dealer, but since I don't sell any stern-drive powered boats I don't pay much attention to them.

I put a call into the only Volvo guy I could get ahold of at this time of the evening and he wasn't thrilled with the idea of running it behind a big block. He didn't see any issue with durability, but possibly with the ratio - it's only offered in one gear currently (1.46?) so that might be a worry. He was also thinking Volvo might not warranty it in a 'custom' application like that.

I'll find out a little more tomorrow when my normal tech guys are available and report what I find...

zelatore
05-29-2008, 07:29 PM
This is drawn with the D6 motor, but some of the diminsions might be of interest...

Morgan's Cloud
05-30-2008, 07:03 AM
If you can't bolt an SX onto your existing trans assy , and I doubt that you can, just put in the whole new SX-A package. It'll be more than enough and it's avbl in duoprop as the DPS-A.
The DPR is for diesel applications and probably weighs twice as much as the DPS-A , not to mention that the inner trans plate mates to nothing but Volvo diesel engines.

mjw930
05-30-2008, 07:19 AM
The predecessor to the DPR for gas applications was the DPX and it's a GREAT unit. Only problem, Volvo ceased production of the gas variant of the DPX and as others have mentioned, only produce it as a Diesel package with the wrong ratios and couplers to adapt to a GM BB. I have a friend who works at Volvo and it was part of their decision to get out of high performance, mostly because they were losing money in that space. As great as the product might be if they can't sell it then they stop making it.

blackhawk
05-30-2008, 02:47 PM
The predecessor to the DPR for gas applications was the DPX and it's a GREAT unit. Only problem, Volvo ceased production of the gas variant of the DPX and as others have mentioned, only produce it as a Diesel package with the wrong ratios and couplers to adapt to a GM BB. I have a friend who works at Volvo and it was part of their decision to get out of high performance, mostly because they were losing money in that space. As great as the product might be if they can't sell it then they stop making it.

Thanks, I couldn't think of the name of the old hi-perf drive. The DPX was a great drive and offered with the 500hp and 600hp Innovation Marine packages that Volvo produced for a couple years. They were also an option on a few 454 and 502 packages. But, as mjw said Merc has a monopoly in the racing market so Volvo pulled out.

zelatore
06-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Got a call from my Volvo rep as I was headed out of town Friday afternoon. Again, he was really down on trying to run the drive behind anything but it's intended application but basically said it should be up to the job if you could mate it up - just don't expect any support from Volvo.

He then mentioned that he still knew of a new DPX at one of his dealers that could be had for much less than the cost of the DPR and strongly suggested looking into that if I was serious.

He also mentioned that in testing, Volvo had hung a DPR off a big block as an experiment thinking of getting back into the HiPo arena. However, he didn't have anything else to say on the subject, and given their last expereince I wouldn't hold my breath for any hot-rod Volvos any time soon.

MOP
06-02-2008, 12:11 PM
To quote: zelatore!

He also mentioned that in testing, Volvo had hung a DPR off a big block as an experiment thinking of getting back into the HiPo arena. However, he didn't have anything else to say on the subject, and given their last expereince I wouldn't hold my breath for any hot-rod Volvos any time soon.

If they made a good push into the racing circuit they would in time short circuit Mercury!

VetteLT193
06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
It's probably more cost effective to go to a Merc drive (used).

Unless you are thinking about really pushing the power envelope?

I'll have a stock Alpha for sale soon. Transom assemblies can be found used for cheap. A couple of items are big money that you wouldn't expect. One of them is the trim pump. I'm not sure if the OMC unit is compatible.

If you were to go Bravo, trim pump is still a cost issue. Used drives can be found but not very cheap (actually, not cheap at all). Used bravo transom assemblies are hard to come by, and usually not very cheap. You also need a belt driven water pump, pulley, and bracket which will be a few more bills.

Another good place to check out is Stern Drive Engineering. I don't think they sell transom assemblies but the drives themselves are priced right.

Any way you slice it, do some serious research. some of the items that you might overlook can be extremely costly

cutwater
06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Unless you are thinking about really pushing the power envelope?

I'm not really trying to push the envelope (maybe a pretty bad 383 :wink:) but definitely staying with the small block. I guess the drive ratio availability might be my biggest problem. I like the Volvo DPR's for a few reasons:
1. Hopefully a similar transom cutout to the OMC (I think it shares it with the SX)
2. Reliability
3. Integrated hydraulic steering
4. Dual props

Another good place to check out is Stern Drive Engineering. I don't think they sell transom assemblies but the drives themselves are priced right.

Any way you slice it, do some serious research. some of the items that you might overlook can be extremely costly

It would definitely be a year or two from now. I'm just puttin' around w/ a bone stock setup in the mean time. I really like SternDrive Engineering's product concept, and that might be an option at some point. Hard to beat the price.

VetteLT193
06-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not really trying to push the envelope (maybe a pretty bad 383 :wink:) but definitely staying with the small block. I guess the drive ratio availability might be my biggest problem. I like the Volvo DPR's for a few reasons:
1. Hopefully a similar transom cutout to the OMC (I think it shares it with the SX)
2. Reliability
4. Dual props

It would definitely be a year or two from now. I'm just puttin' around w/ a bone stock setup in the mean time. I really like SternDrive Engineering's product concept, and that might be an option at some point. Hard to beat the price.

When my engine needs replacing I'm thinking 383 too...

In a couple years I'm hoping there will be more options for used drives, there are not many right now.

On a related note I'm looking into manual hydraulic steering for my boat. If you are interested PM me, it's easier & cheaper to buy 2 rams than 1.

blackhawk
06-02-2008, 04:05 PM
2. Reliability
4. Dual props

If a Volvo SX bolts up to your transom assy I'd put on an SX.

Forrest
06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
. . . I like the Volvo DPR's for a few reasons:
1. Hopefully a similar transom cutout to the OMC (I think it shares it with the SX) . . .

The DPR shares the same transom cutout as the DPX which is essentially the same as, but slightly larger than the Volvo-Penta AQ 250 to 290 cutout. The OMC Cobra, Volvo SX, and Merc cutouts are essentially the same and smaller than the above Volvo "AQ" style cutouts.

Volvo-Penta replaced the DPX with the newer, higher-torque-rated DPR in their diesel applactions, though the DPX was designed for higher speeds than the DPR.

cutwater
06-03-2008, 12:32 PM
The DPR shares the same transom cutout as the DPX which is essentially the same as, but slightly larger than the Volvo-Penta AQ 250 to 290 cutout. The OMC Cobra, Volvo SX, and Merc cutouts are essentially the same and smaller than the above Volvo "AQ" style cutouts.

Volvo-Penta replaced the DPX with the newer, higher-torque-rated DPR in their diesel applactions, though the DPX was designed for higher speeds than the DPR.

Forrest - Does the DPS share the cutout with the SX (and hence OMC Cobra)? If I went Volvo I would really like dual props after hearing so many good things about these drives.

blackhawk
06-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Forrest - Does the DPS share the cutout with the SX (and hence OMC Cobra)? If I went Volvo I would really like dual props after hearing so many good things about these drives.

The standard DPS and SX have the same gimbal assy.

gcarter
06-03-2008, 12:38 PM
On a related note I'm looking into manual hydraulic steering for my boat. If you are interested PM me, it's easier & cheaper to buy 2 rams than 1.
I'm not going to use the manual Hynautic steering that came on the TR, but will be using the cylinders (well 90% sure anyway), so the helm, relief valves, maybe the resoirvoir will be available.

Morgan's Cloud
06-03-2008, 01:15 PM
The standard DPS and SX have the same gimbal assy.
It would appear that Volvo has pretty much standardised their trans.cutout to match everything except their own 200/250/270/280-290 drives.
My new cutout (for the SX-A) would be the same as the SX and the Cobra I would guess AND it's the same as the Merc Alpha/Bravo cutout.

cutwater
09-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Don (Zelatore) - Have you heard anything else about these drives? Mainly I'm thinking availability, prop/drive ratio selection, and price??

There was one on the Z33 someone listed for sale in Norway... real nice :cool:
http://www.finn.no/finn/viewimage?finnkode=14400336&reference=6/144/003/36_1927148270.jpg&adheading=Nyrestaurert+Donzi+33+diesel+powerboat+v urderes+solgt%21&sid=xz7cba4kG8N712565&adTypeId=120&WT.svl=Minibilde

zelatore
09-25-2008, 09:50 AM
I haven't heard anything else. I don't actually sell any new boats with outdrives, only inboard stuff. I can get drives and can always contact V-P for info or support, but when I started asking questions about them I met with less than rousing support. Basically they said 'we only recomend them with diesels' and sort of left it at that. The one thing that did come up was that there are still a few NOS DPX drives out there.

98shovel
09-25-2008, 10:06 AM
heres a link to something i found will looking for a replaement for the king
www.marinepartsexpress.com/sx-cobra.pdf (http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/sx-cobra.pdf)
its a direct replacement for the cobra same transom assembly
the call it a cobra sx

cutwater
09-25-2008, 10:40 AM
heres a link to something i found will looking for a replaement for the king
www.marinepartsexpress.com/sx-cobra.pdf (http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/sx-cobra.pdf)
its a direct replacement for the cobra same transom assembly
the call it a cobra sx

98Shovel - The link isn't working for me??
Found it - http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/SX_Cobra.pdf

Don - Have you seen these "Cobra SX" drives that bolt on to the existing OMC transom assembly? How much do they run? What is different from a normal Volvo SX?

Sorry for all the questions, I am an idiot when it comes to outdrives! I would really like to go dual-prop at some point, but my old Cobra drive is really struggling.

VetteLT193
09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
When I was looking at used OMC boats I ran across that OMC/Volvo built the drive together. Pricing wise it is still a tough pill to swallow. I remember being able to do the merc swap for the same price or less for used. From memory I think the drive is in the neighborhood of $4k-5k ++ other stuff.

Information is not all that easy to find on the volvo/OMC stuff, but I also vaguely remember that it might be possible to put the duoprop lower on the SX upper.

Someone out there has to know these drives and all the little differences.

zelatore
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Sorry guys, I don't know much about outdrives at all. We don't sell or service them on any sort of regular basis since all our boats are inboard powered.

I do have access to Volvo's dealer support line, so I can try to get answers to specific questions, but I don't actually do much with drives.

blackhawk
09-25-2008, 08:29 PM
98Shovel - The link isn't working for me??
Found it - http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/SX_Cobra.pdf

Don - Have you seen these "Cobra SX" drives that bolt on to the existing OMC transom assembly? How much do they run? What is different from a normal Volvo SX?

Sorry for all the questions, I am an idiot when it comes to outdrives! I would really like to go dual-prop at some point, but my old Cobra drive is really struggling.

That appears to be a "kit" that allows you to mount the Volva SX drive to a Cobra gimbal assy. The main thing is the motor mounted sea water pump and probably some other misc hardware.

Like I said earlier the SX is a GREAT drive!

cutwater
09-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys!