PDA

View Full Version : Bennett S12 tabs good enough for classic 18?

merlin502
05-28-2008, 07:37 PM
e-Bay has Bennett S12 twin ram 12x12 tabs for $469 (free shipping) . Is this worth it, or should I buy a better model? If so. which model? I have never been a trim tab guy. This Donzi 18 Classic is my 4th go-fast boat (always been my dream boat). My last two boats (23' and 27') had tabs, but I never used them... At WOT I don't want any drag, and I really enjoy controllable chine-walking!
Unfortunatley, my little 18 lists port-side at low speeds, regardless of weight placement and tim position. I posted earlier and got some good advice. I also got your typical "learn to drive/trim a Donzi" advice from the hot-head know-it-alls.
Any who; I am buying tabs and ask for your advice. What does Donzi use as OEM tabs. This 1995 boat is all OEM 350 carb/Alpha drive (except for the stereo) and I want to keep it that way and not spend a fortune for something I don't expect to use much. If you are a ZX guy, don't bother posting. If you are an 18 Classic guy, tell me what I need to know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Bennett-S12-Sport-Trim-Tab-Set-Pump-Line-Rocker_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31283QQihZ004QQi temZ140235424172QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

BlownCrewCab
05-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I had the same ones you described on my 18 classic. I feel they are a Lil big. If your useing them to correct a list at slow speeds Great, but on a fast boat, going fast a tab that big should 1) Be all the way up, OR 2) both be at same setting. if your boat goes over 50mph having tabs that size definatly needs Indicators so you know where they are. we used to put them on 32' twin diesel boats (16,000lbs) and I could drive the boat down the river just using the tabs.

Donzi Vol
05-28-2008, 09:15 PM
I could drive the boat down the river just using the tabs.

Hmmm...brings back a memory of doing that once, NOT by choice. Donzi Racer??

Donzi Vol
05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
In all seriousness, I think tabs are great. I've driven the 18 that BlownCrewCab is talking about, and it makes a world of difference to be able to shift the bow around at the touch of a button. It seems like there's a trend with these particular hulls to lean at slow speeds, so if it really bothers you and you've got the extra cash, I say go for it. Just my two cents...

MOP
05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
I have 12X12's on my 22 there are more then enough, the only time they are all the way down is at idle in tight places other then that used lightly. I feel 12X12 are to big for a 18 the small sport tabs do a good job. Tabs are great even though some die hards will argue the point, they balance the boat for most types of sea conditions and passenger load. Also they will eliminate the infamous deep V slow speed wag.

roadtrip se
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
We bought Jill's boat early last summer.

Besides being completely, and I mean completely, different from the way my 22 drives and handles, the tabs presented a unique challenge that took a good chunk of the summer to figure out.

After launching the boat over a wake or a wave, the boat would have a tendency to hook the left side and then dive to the left on landing. Very exciting at 70+, especially when sitting on the passenger side. It felt like we were about to go swimming every time it happened.

The problem turned out to be a tab hooking, because it was below the plane of the hull at neutral and did not retract high enough at the full up position. Once we got the small, stock tabs up above neutral by adjusting the stops, the problem went away.

Besides the obvious take the time to learn to drive it, which is good solid advice as it took a full summer to get the hang of ours, I would caution against putting a big set of tabs on this boat because it will just enhance the opportunity for other fun handling techniques. I would also echo the need for indicators, which I don't need on the 22. Finally, whatever you chose to do, make sure the things are mounted in a way to be far above neutral when in the up position.

Good luck, the Scorpion breaker....

chappy
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
The 12 by 12's would be overkill for my setup. MOP nailed it, the smaller sport tabs do just fine by me. I re-read your first thread about listing, the "hot head, know it alls" you refer to, were only trying to help based on information provided, they're extremely knowledgeable and helpful.:yes: Good luck with the tabs, keep us posted.

merlin502
05-29-2008, 03:38 PM
The 12 by 12's would be overkill for my setup. MOP nailed it, the smaller sport tabs do just fine by me. I re-read your first thread about listing, the "hot head, know it alls" you refer to, were only trying to help based on information provided, they're extremely knowledgeable and helpful.:yes: Good luck with the tabs, keep us posted.

Thanks for the great advice! I should not have said "hot-head, know it alls". I really appreciate getting feedback from experienced Donzi owners! I have driven 16' and 18' Classics that did not 'list' like mine. I would rather blame my boat than my inept driving ability though...:angel:

Where is the best place to buy sport tabs!

osur866
05-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Another vote for the smaller sport tabs with indicators , my boat also had the tabs that where almost level in the full up postion. Bennett makes different upper parts that will fix this problem I experienced the dive to the left as Roadtrip explained and it is an eye opener running WFO :eek:. I changed them out over the winter and they now raise up a good 1 1/2" in the full up postion. Steve

merlin502
05-30-2008, 06:23 AM

Chappy. You are correct. I should not have said "hot head, know it alls".
I really appreciate these guys. I prefer to blame my boat for this 'listing' issue rather than my lack of boat handling skills. Frankly, it is a little ebarrassing to take a passenger out and have the boat lean this much before getting on plane (and while on plane at lower speeds); regardless of how the boat is trimmed. I really think tabs will do the trick. Boat handles exactly how I would expect at WOT. I expect it will take me at least all summer to learn to fly this boat the way it was meant to be. I bought this boat to satisfy my desperate need for an adrenaline rush, and so far it fits the bill perfectly!
Thanks for all the great advise!

I am looking for a set of Bennett M80 Sport Tabs. It looks like I will be paying $500, no matter where I buy them. Are there any better deals out there?

VetteLT193
05-30-2008, 07:27 AM
those tabs are a good deal. just mount them a half inch up from the bottom of the hull and mount the rams so the tabs are well above neutral when all the way up.

One major thing I've learned about Donzi guys is everyone likes their boat to run differently. Some like the challenge to drive the boat perfect, some just want to have a good time with less effort.

While I appreciate truly driving I also appreciate being able to drag tabs to run slower and level.

smallblockford
06-03-2008, 07:21 PM
teague wrote a guy back about a month ago on a u17 and told him to run the tabs old school or level kinda like i see in some fountains. not level with the bottom but the horizon.

any comment i am debating which way to go on my build i am doing serios over kill

smallblockford
06-03-2008, 07:23 PM
said the reason for horizon level was to keep the boat from jerking one way or another in a chime walk or landing

Mr X
06-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes they would be too big.
Horizontal mounting does not slow the boat down nearly as much, due to less tab drag. It also will push the bow down more without listing the boat much.

Even with the deadrise does slow the boat down more, and will list the boat quite a bit.

smallblockford
06-03-2008, 07:31 PM
x do you recomend horizontal on my ap then

Mr X
06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
x do you recomend horizontal on my ap then
Is it a U-17?

smallblockford
06-03-2008, 08:27 PM
sweet 16
355 ci
12 to 1
gill headers
single imco hydraulic cyl stearing with powerstearing
got eddie marine 12 wide 17 long billet mini k tabs coming

smallblockford
06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
was never in to the u 17 just trying to figure out how i am going to get the most potential out of the 16 with 400 plus hp stearitng to take out the slop and help figure the tabs at zero will help. gotta be better than my stv pro comp( am trying to slow down and go to a v no air to flip me)

Mr X
06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
level with the bottom, 1" up from the edge.
Horizontal works best with 28' and up boats that run 80 or more.

IN MY OPINION

smallblockford
06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
got moter pics in here is mine moter an help with sweet 16 links wont let me put em here though

smallblockford
06-03-2008, 08:35 PM
[quote=Mr X;452700]level with the bottom, 1" up from the edge.
Horizontal works best with 28' and up boats that run 80 or more.

IN MY OPINION[/quote

k
thank you for your reply very apperciated and i will keep you posted on the results

MOP
06-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Do a little searching there have been several posts on mounting the tabs for best results, if you need parts call the Fuzzy One!

Lenny
06-03-2008, 11:37 PM
I feel they are a Lil big.

I won't mention the GIGANTIC K-planes on the two Cigs at AOTH... That was something else :yes:

Oh, and they ran well. I am not sure what they had going on. :confused: BUT, with IMCO Extreme drives (up three inches) and Blackhawks, I think they know what they are doing.. :yes:

Back to the original question, 2' long K planes on a 20 Cig was a nice rough water combination. I feel 12" can't hurt so long as mounted up a 1/2" or more retracted.

The Hedgehog
06-04-2008, 07:56 AM
I am a ZX guy that is also a classic guy. Does that mean that I can't post?

I will be putting tabs on my 18 soon. I have some tabs similar to what you are discussing. They will come off the 26. They are twin ram and I know that it it overkill for that boat. My understanding is that single rams respond quicker so I am considering selling my twins for some singles. Is that a good idea?

BlownCrewCab
06-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Twin rams require a pump for twin rams, since they consume twice the fluid to operate. otherwise your tabs will go down at 1/2 speed. if your use single rams with a dual ram pump you'll get twice the speed. I don't think it's one pump fits all (but I have been wrong before)

The Hedgehog
06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
That is good to know.

I guess that I can just check the speed of operation while it is on the boat:doh: If it works, it works.

I just wanted to take advantage of a free resource.

The mounting location is a great tip.

MOP
06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Singles should be just fine, and right on twins being very slow.

roadtrip se
06-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I won't mention the GIGANTIC K-planes on the two Cigs at AOTH... That was something else :yes:
Oh, and they ran well. I am not sure what they had going on. :confused: BUT, with IMCO Extreme drives (up three inches) and Blackhawks, I think they know what they are doing.. :yes:
Back to the original question, 2' long K planes on a 20 Cig was a nice rough water combination. I feel 12" can't hurt so long as mounted up a 1/2" or more retracted.

The dang things were running with barely any drive in the water Len.

I would want to stick something resembling a skeg in the water once in awhile too!

I also noticed that none of these guys wanted to really run the boats out in anything but ideal conditions.

I would imagine that if you hooked a 380, it could be pretty exciting. On the trailer, those tabs were also mounted and retracted way high, to keep this from happening I would guess.

I'll have to do more research when we run with them in Detroit. The conditions there are a little different from Lake Cumberland.
Tough duty....

MOP
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Was the 20 Cig with the Blackhawk from Long Island? There is one on the south shore with a 540 breaking over 100, thought it might be the same boat.

Phil