PDA

View Full Version : Not Good

catch 22
05-28-2008, 05:19 AM
But....It could have been a lot worse. Heres a couple of pics of the gear that we pulled out yesterday. This was the worst one of them all. There was a lot of bits and pieces that took out bearings, shims, so on. Now I have decided to upgrade everything in the drive with Merc's upgraded kit. It has pretty much everything I need. John the drive mechanic said that it looks like this happened because of an impact. I told him that I did not hit anything in KY. He told me that it didn't have to have been hit at that time. Back in Nov 07 I was at the lake near my home and I hit something submerged in the water near the dock and it had bent all 4 blades on my QIV. I didn't think I had done anything other than damage the prop, but obviously I was wrong. I even tweaked the prop shaft a bit. I contacted my insurance company and I think there going to take care of it, being that I have my receipt from Throttle Up stating the prop was damaged do to (impact damage). I am expecting a call from my Allstate Adjuster today and will keep you up to date. John said that I saved a lot by not trying to get it back to the dock.

Trueser
05-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Wow,

I also have Allstate and they were great when I was rear ended on the trailer. They sent out a boat surveyor to look over the drive while it was apart.

What drive is that?

Good luck

ITTLFLI
05-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Catch,

Looks like some carnage! Good thing it wasn't any worse. Thats about as easy as you could get off with a "broken bravo"! :wink:

Lenny
05-28-2008, 11:07 AM
John the drive mechanic said that it looks like this happened because of an impact.

There definately was NO impact. It just let go (and started making noise) at about 4000 rpm and cruising.

Glad to hear it will be covered... :)

Thanks for the rides. :yes:

onesubdrvr
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Jim

Sorry to hear of your problems, all in all, that gear doesn't look too bad ;) I wish I had taken some pictures of the Cobra drive from when we did our Ft. Pierce and I dropped it,..... THAT was carnage ;)

Glad it isn't super bad, and I'm sure you'll rest easier with the upgrade

Wayne

Team Jefe
05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Good luck Jimmy, if Allstate comes through, you'll come out smelling like a rose.

Air 22
05-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Jim....With all those ponies u are pull'n ever consider an IMCO?

Good luck with whatever you go with..thanks for posting the pic's...interesting to see that damage etc...sorry u had to go thru that!!:doh:

Keep us posted on the repair:smash::wink:

MOP
05-28-2008, 09:58 PM
It is a lot more common then some would think for gears to fail some time after an impact, Jim the insurance company may not go for upgraded gears but it is cheap insurance on your part. Also not a bad idea not to raise the hatch when the adjuster is there, all the companies are getting speed shy.

Phil

BigGrizzly
05-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Jim It really could have been bad. The previous impact may definitely had a bi part in it if you tweaked the shaft. That shaft is not easy to twist, especially the way you drive. My guy says that big power there is only about 160 to 200 hours to be had on lower units. When something is hit is decreases the life span. That is the only problem with powerful engines. Hay Red Dog had an issue too. Me I am pulling the engine today. Hopefully It will be ready for lake George Thanks to Forredst. Apparently when the lower unit went it took out the trans, could have been worse. I guess my number was up, 6 years with only doing plug and oil changes.

MOP
05-29-2008, 10:09 AM
With big power it is important to check the drives rolling torque at the very least once a season, as soon as the values drop tear it down inspect and re shim it to get it back into spec. A few hundred bucks every 100-200 hours depending on power is darn cheap insurance, a well taken care of drive will last a long time.

glashole
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
not to get off topic or anything but

away we go...

I called my insurance company at the end of last year when I installed the 500+hp motor in my boat.
they increased the premiums by like $50- 100 per year after they got a letter from donzi stating that that boat was equip with that size of motor before

now if anything were to happen I know that I am completely covered and they have no reason to ever second guess my actions etc.. as i am totally up front about everything (small price to pay)

This may not be the case here and i am sure Catch is completely above board on this issue so it shouldn't be an issue

Shea

roadtrip se
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Looks very similiar to what came out of the XZ. No insurance company to try this one on, just RTSE Savings and Trust.

Just make sure they shim it up and shim it good. As Devo once sang...
"If your drive must hit the ground, you must shim it, shim it good..."

Mr X
05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Odd how the numbers and letters on that prop hub are not visiable in that
photo! :wink:

cutwater
05-29-2008, 12:36 PM

Yeah... must have been some water droplets on the lens... :wink:

RedDog
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM

amazing - looks like a Photoshop blur tool has been put to use

fasttrucker
05-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Is my stock 1998 bravo-1 on borrowed time w/my 600+hp:hangum: motor?

mjw930
05-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Is my stock 1998 bravo-1 on borrowed time w/my 600+hp:hangum: motor?

Probably but a lot depends on the driving style, weight of the boat and how well you maintain it. Eventually they all break, so technically we are all on borrowed time.....

I had a stock '96 B1 behind 550+ HP on my 5000 lb Velocity and went well over 400 hours without any failures but I used Redline Shockproof, changed it every 50 hours and ran a Simrek drive cooler. The boat was not babied ;)

BabyDonzi
05-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Well heck Jim, things like this usally happen when we're running together? So I'm not the jinx!

onesubdrvr
05-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Well heck Jim, things like this usally happen when we're running together? So I'm not the jinx!
Actually Mike, it was ME who lost the drive on that run

and you ran out of fuel :wink::doh:

Wayne

fasttrucker
05-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Probably but a lot depends on the driving style, weight of the boat and how well you maintain it. Eventually they all break, so technically we are all on borrowed time.....

I had a stock '96 B1 behind 550+ HP on my 5000 lb Velocity and went well over 400 hours without any failures but I used Redline Shockproof, changed it every 50 hours and ran a Simrek drive cooler. The boat was not babied ;)
I change the outdrive lube once a year at start of season.went 100hrs last year.:eek!:

catch 22
05-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Actually Mike, it was ME who lost the drive on that run

and you ran out of fuel :wink::doh:

Wayne
THANKS WAYNE:wink:

catch 22
05-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Update on drive, I picked the drive up on Thursday. Before I left the house I called the adjuster and told him the drive was fixed and did he need to see it. He said no, I just need to see the parts. When we got home there was a message from Allstate stating that the drive was covered due to impact damage. Everything is new in the upper from Mercury. (Updated parts) and everything is new in the lower except the gears, as they were fine. While it was off I had new U-joints put on also. They are reimbursing me for the repairs done on the prop from Throttle Up

Thank You Allstate as they have been very good to work with.

Mr X
05-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Update on drive, I picked the drive up on Thursday. Before I left the house I called the adjuster and told him the drive was fixed and did he need to see it. He said no, I just need to see the parts. When we got home there was a message from Allstate stating that the drive was covered due to impact damage. Everything is new in the upper from Mercury. (Updated parts) and everything is new in the lower except the gears, as they were fine. While it was off I had new U-joints put on also. They are reimbursing me for the repairs done on the prop from Throttle Up

Thank You Allstate as they have been very good to work with.

Sounds great Jim!
I hope your premium does not go up at renewal....

fasttrucker
06-01-2008, 07:24 AM
I cant see why they paid for the prop damage?Ive hit things:smash: and never thought of trying to put a claim in for it.deductable I guess wouldnt cover it.Well if the outdrive was covered then they covered the prop and hit you with the deductable only once?

BigGrizzly
06-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Jim, you lucky dog. I feel good for you. You got your drive covered, you are married to Gina, life is good! I am Pulling the motor to do my trans in 2 hours my boys are helping so that is a plus. Forrest had a trans and sent it to me. I found one of the last complete seal kits down the street from my sister,she is sending it up to me. I should be ready for lake George by the weekend. If not it is Corsican city.

MOP
06-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Jim treat the drive like any dealer would treat a new drive, change the oil at about 10 hours. New parts have a break in period.

Phil

catch 22
06-01-2008, 08:39 AM
I cant see why they paid for the prop damage?Ive hit things:smash: and never thought of trying to put a claim in for it.deductable I guess wouldnt cover it.Well if the outdrive was covered then they covered the prop and hit you with the deductable only once?
Bill, When I damaged the prop back in Nov. I didn't even think about filing a claim with my insurance company, and wouldn't have just for the prop, but when my drive mechanic said this was due to impact and suggested I contact my insurance company they were the ones that wanted the receipt from Throttle Up and any pictures of the prop if I had them. In my insurance policy I have coverage for this.

catch 22
06-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Jim, you lucky dog. I feel good for you. You got your drive covered, you are married to Gina, life is good! I am Pulling the motor to do my trans in 2 hours my boys are helping so that is a plus. Forrest had a trans and sent it to me. I found one of the last complete seal kits down the street from my sister,she is sending it up to me. I should be ready for lake George by the weekend. If not it is Corsican city.
Thanks Randy, I hope all goes well with the repairs on the Critter and that you and Barb have a GREAT TIME at Lake George.

catch 22
06-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Jim treat the drive like any dealer would treat a new drive, change the oil at about 10 hours. New parts have a break in period.
Phil

Phil, Thanks for the info. I was curious if there was a break in period.

MOP
06-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Phil, Thanks for the info. I was curious if there was a break in period.

Jim that is a basic standard in the industry I believes all manufactures insist on a 10 hour check up as part of following up on the warranty.

fasttrucker
06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Bill, When I damaged the prop back in Nov. I didn't even think about filing a claim with my insurance company, and wouldn't have just for the prop, but when my drive mechanic said this was due to impact and suggested I contact my insurance company they were the ones that wanted the receipt from Throttle Up and any pictures of the prop if I had them. In my insurance policy I have coverage for this.
COOL!:cool: