PDA

View Full Version : Coming our of hibernation!

The Hedgehog
05-27-2008, 04:07 PM
The beast is starting to grumble and the boat is getting rigged/prepped.

Last Real Texan
05-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Getting close......:smash:

Lenny
05-27-2008, 09:57 PM
ahhh, unless you put the motor in upside down, aren't you gonna have trouble with those headers ???

:D :D :D

sweet 16 1966
05-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Hopefully they were for tuning.
Great looking engine. Hope it meets your expectations!
Its all in the set-up.

The Hedgehog
05-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Hopefully they were for tuning.
Great looking engine. Hope it meets your expectations!
Its all in the set-up.

It is all in the setup. That is the reason for the dyno. We will also tune in in the boat.

I hope that it exceeds my expectations:crossfing: If it runs as good as it looks it will be fine

The Hedgehog
05-27-2008, 10:19 PM
ahhh, unless you put the motor in upside down, aren't you gonna have trouble with those headers ???
:D :D :D

They are some very special headers. I would recommend them for your 540!:shocking:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-28-2008, 12:10 AM
The beast is starting to grumble and the boat is getting rigged/prepped.

That is a tough looking race-built motor. If it is going in your 26ZX, what drive system and prop are you going to use? I presume those are pyrometers attached to each exhaust port header to make sure that each cylinder is making about the same temperature to indicate that the valves and firing is equal? Do you anticipate speeds in excess of 90MPH? HP rating on the dyno? I know - so many questions. Bill

ITTLFLI
05-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Looks AWSOME!! Lets see some #'s :nilly: :wink:

The Hedgehog
05-28-2008, 07:14 AM
That is a tough looking race-built motor. If it is going in your 26ZX, what drive system and prop are you going to use? I presume those are pyrometers attached to each exhaust port header to make sure that each cylinder is making about the same temperature to indicate that the valves and firing is equal? Do you anticipate speeds in excess of 90MPH? HP rating on the dyno? I know - so many questions. Bill

Yes, the pyro's and AFR meter's are to make sure that there are no seriously unequal cylinders. So far, so good. Right and left banks have AFR ratio's within a 0.5 tolerance. I am not sure the max that dyno will take. These guys routinely build big power. My engine builder Eddie has an engine that makes 1,200 hp on pump gas and 1,400 on race fuel:shocking: His big power engines have been written up in all the big magazines like Hot Boat, Extreme Boats etc.

It will go in the 26ZX. I will be using an XR upper with recalibrated tolerances and a billet top cap with an IMCO lower with the 1.25" shaft. Full Hydraulic steering of course!

I am pretty sure it will be faster than 90. I hear a number of different stories about the hull at greater than 85. I am talking to a guy in England who is in the 90 range. I have talked to people that say it it good to go to 95 and others that say it is scary as hell at 92. The hull has been taken to 105. The guy in England had to go to 30" tabs and just installed an extension box. He has yet to push it to full throttle. I will probably have 75-100 hp on him. I know that there will be more to it than slapping this big boy under the hatch and opening it up.

Too much power for the hull? Maybe but the accereration will be unbelievable!:shocking: I want to be able to cruise in the 70mph range and push smartly to 85. Beyond that it will need good water conditions, chin strap on and the Lifeline buckled up.

Prop? Time till tell. I am pretty sure that I will have no problem swinging a 32". I kept the x-dimension stock (which is not too low) and an running a standard lower. I may be leaving a few mph on the table but don't want to go to a 5 blade with that kind of power on an XR. My friend in England is running a 1.5" higher X and is having some issues with the whole surface piercing/prop slap thing. He is going to a 5 blade.

The Hedgehog
05-28-2008, 07:17 AM
OK, so instead of static "ooooh, it's sitting on the dyno" shots, how bout some video's of a pull or three?? :D :D :D
Once tuned, you going to run it on the dyno with your own exhaust to finalize the tune?

I will have videos of a pull or so.

Yes, we will do a final tuning in the boat. My exhaust has an EGT/Pyro bung. I will be installing an EGT meter in the dash.

hot shot
05-28-2008, 07:38 AM
wow hedg: looks great, can't wait to see #'s and hear a pull or three.. keep the updates comming... loved talking with you about your x18 at cumberland mick

SilverBack
05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Looking great Bill!! My engine is going into my boat this coming week also.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Yes, the pyro's and AFR meter's are to make sure that there are no seriously unequal cylinders. So far, so good. Right and left banks have AFR ratio's within a 0.5 tolerance. I am not sure the max that dyno will take. These guys routinely build big power. My engine builder Eddie has an engine that makes 1,200 hp on pump gas and 1,400 on race fuel:shocking: His big power engines have been written up in all the big magazines like Hot Boat, Extreme Boats etc.

It will go in the 26ZX. I will be using an XR upper with recalibrated tolerances and a billet top cap with an IMCO lower with the 1.25" shaft. Full Hydraulic steering of course!

I am pretty sure it will be faster than 90. I hear a number of different stories about the hull at greater than 85. I am talking to a guy in England who is in the 90 range. I have talked to people that say it it good to go to 95 and others that say it is scary as hell at 92. The hull has been taken to 105. The guy in England had to go to 30" tabs and just installed an extension box. He has yet to push it to full throttle. I will probably have 75-100 hp on him. I know that there will be more to it than slapping this big boy under the hatch and opening it up.

Too much power for the hull? Maybe but the accereration will be unbelievable!:shocking: I want to be able to cruise in the 70mph range and push smartly to 85. Beyond that it will need good water conditions, chin strap on and the Lifeline buckled up.

Prop? Time till tell. I am pretty sure that I will have no problem swinging a 32". I kept the x-dimension stock (which is not too low) and an running a standard lower. I may be leaving a few mph on the table but don't want to go to a 5 blade with that kind of power on an XR. My friend in England is running a 1.5" higher X and is having some issues with the whole surface piercing/prop slap thing. He is going to a 5 blade.

It sounds like you have done your homework. Having the man in England must be a huge help making some of the decisions based on his experience. What PSI boost are you going to be making? My engine makes 7.5PSI at 5400RPM so I change over to racing fuel when I run it wide open to be on the safe side. I have two fuel tanks with a crossover switch so it is easy for me. Do you think you will be adding racing fuel to raise your octane or do you think super unleaded will be high enough? I always worry about this. I will run my boat to about 70MPH before I change over to racing fuel. I start making a positive boost at about 3100RPM. I worry about what the true octane is from pump gas. It sure would be nice to have an octane rating gauge in our fuel tanks!
Are you running some good size trim tabs for stability at the higher speeds?
Are you going to use the low water pickup on the IMCO for your engine cooling?
I will be curious to hear what eventual speeds you reach. A 70MPH cruising speed is nice. It puts you on top of the chop. :wink: Bill

The Hedgehog
05-28-2008, 01:59 PM
It sounds like you have done your homework. Having the man in England must be a huge help making some of the decisions based on his experience. What PSI boost are you going to be making? My engine makes 7.5PSI at 5400RPM so I change over to racing fuel when I run it wide open to be on the safe side. I have two fuel tanks with a crossover switch so it is easy for me. Do you think you will be adding racing fuel to raise your octane or do you think super unleaded will be high enough? I always worry about this. I will run my boat to about 70MPH before I change over to racing fuel. I start making a positive boost at about 3100RPM. I worry about what the true octane is from pump gas. It sure would be nice to have an octane rating gauge in our fuel tanks!
Are you running some good size trim tabs for stability at the higher speeds?
Are you going to use the low water pickup on the IMCO for your engine cooling?
I will be curious to hear what eventual speeds you reach. A 70MPH cruising speed is nice. It puts you on top of the chop. :wink: Bill

We are shooting for 7-8lbs of boost.

My engine builder says that 93 will be just fine and it would probably run on 91 but don't do it. He says (and I have heard a number of others) that you should not increase the octane much past the way the engine was tuned. Too much is actually bad. This is especially the case in fuel injected systems since injectors flow in lbs and different octanes have different specific gravities. I am also thinking that different burn rates would create different temps (Maybe one of the tech guys can elaborate on this). I am running a MEFI 4 ECU and it is supposed to have some pretty good knock protection.

Pick ups....well wrestling with that. I have two of them. One on the hull and one in the lower. Still up in the air on the exact plumbing. We are going to run a dedicated pickup for the intercooler. Running big injectors on this setup and want to avoid blower surge in cool water (I have actually this happen on a centrifugal blower before when running in cold start mode). Then I have to feed the block and drive cooler. With a dedicated pickup for the cooler I am thinking that I may be able to feed the rest off the low water pickup. Eddie will know the answer to that. I will be using a water pressure gauge.

I have stock tabs. Bennet sports. I am pretty sure those training wheels will not be enough. I am prepared to go as big as necessary. The guy in England had to go up to 30" planes but he has some different circumstances. Time will tell on that.

So your boat hits around 70 before the boost starts kicking in? Wow! I think that you have mentioned how fast it runs but please tell again. That is hauling the groceries!

mjw930
05-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Looks like you are going to have loads of fun dialing this bad boy in.

If I were you I would spring for the 380 K-Planes while the motor is out, it makes the install a lot easier. You can always add the longer tab to the package if you need it without undoing the installation.

The Hedgehog
05-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Looks like you are going to have loads of fun dialing this bad boy in.

If I were you I would spring for the 380 K-Planes while the motor is out, it makes the install a lot easier. You can always add the longer tab to the package if you need it without undoing the installation.

I thought about that. I will probably go with some Dana's. They make a nice looking product and I can have it done to match my stuff. I have been looking for some used 380's. They are all going about 200-300 less than the new Dana's.

It is not too bad in my hatch with an engine. You can actually kneel right down in front of the tabs. That is one of the advantages to a big single vs twins.

mjw930
05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
I thought about that. I will probably go with some Dana's. They make a nice looking product and I can have it done to match my stuff. I have been looking for some used 380's. They are all going about 200-300 less than the new Dana's.
It is not too bad in my hatch with an engine. You can actually kneel right down in front of the tabs. That is one of the advantages to a big single vs twins.

I think Dana and Eddie are the same and I know of one guy who broke one of his Eddie tabs on a Nordic 28 not too long ago. I think it broke at the hinge. But then again, I know guys who have broken K-Planes...... Rought crowd ;)

The Eickert (Hardin/CP) tabs are massive, That's what he replaced the Eddie marine units with. They will set you back about $500 more.

http://www.keitheickert.com/images/620-739030.jpg

The Hedgehog
05-28-2008, 02:51 PM
I think Dana and Eddie are the same and I know of one guy who broke one of his Eddie tabs on a Nordic 28 not too long ago. I think it broke at the hinge. But then again, I know guys who have broken K-Planes...... Rought crowd ;)

The Eickert (Hardin/CP) tabs are massive, That's what he replaced the Eddie marine units with. They will set you back about $500 more.

http://www.keitheickert.com/images/620-739030.jpg

Yes, the Dana's and Eddies are a knock off of each other. Eddie Young has a few customers that have had problems with the Eddies but none with Dana problems so who knows.

Those KE's are a nice product.

Breaking K-planes? You do run with a rough crowd. I think I would have a hard time finding water like that in Tn!:eek!:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
We are shooting for 7-8lbs of boost.

My engine builder says that 93 will be just fine and it would probably run on 91 but don't do it. He says (and I have heard a number of others) that you should not increase the octane much past the way the engine was tuned. Too much is actually bad. This is especially the case in fuel injected systems since injectors flow in lbs and different octanes have different specific gravities. I am also thinking that different burn rates would create different temps (Maybe one of the tech guys can elaborate on this). I am running a MEFI 4 ECU and it is supposed to have some pretty good knock protection.

Pick ups....well wrestling with that. I have two of them. One on the hull and one in the lower. Still up in the air on the exact plumbing. We are going to run a dedicated pickup for the intercooler. Running big injectors on this setup and want to avoid blower surge in cool water (I have actually this happen on a centrifugal blower before when running in cold start mode). Then I have to feed the block and drive cooler. With a dedicated pickup for the cooler I am thinking that I may be able to feed the rest off the low water pickup. Eddie will know the answer to that. I will be using a water pressure gauge.

I have stock tabs. Bennet sports. I am pretty sure those training wheels will not be enough. I am prepared to go as big as necessary. The guy in England had to go up to 30" planes but he has some different circumstances. Time will tell on that.

So your boat hits around 70 before the boost starts kicking in? Wow! I think that you have mentioned how fast it runs but please tell again. That is hauling the groceries!

I am running a 1050 Dominator custom built carburetor on top of the blower. I quite honestly never thought about any problem switching to the racing fuel while running since it has always worked so well for me. I just want to make sure that I don't detonate. It would be impossible to hear a ping.
It sounds like you will be using 3 pickups which is probably the way to go.
You will know soon enough if you need more tabs, but I see so many boats rigged with far more than they really need. The sport tabs might very well be enough.
I see why it looked like I was saying that the boost kicks in at around 70MPH by what I wrote. No, by 70MPH it is making about 2-3PSI boost which is the maximum I let it run before switching over to the racing fuel. I usually cruise the Eliminator at about 50-55 where it is running about 3100RPM and is not working hard. Top speed is about 95MPH right now, but I am thinking about breaking the century mark just for the sake of going that fast. It feels great at even 95MPH going upwind to take advantage of the lift. The dual ram steering holds it exactly where it is set. The worst thing about going those speeds in a 30MPH headwind is glancing over at my passenger's face and not being able to recognize her - lol. Bill

BigGrizzly
05-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Bill your message box is full.
Bill I don't want to put you off, but I am pulling my motor to fix the trans for lake George on the 13, I will get to the prop asap. My helper(aka son) is only available until Tuesday so i need to get on the stick or fix the trailer for the Corsican. Everything I have breaks in multiples.

The Hedgehog
05-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Bill your message box is full.
Bill I don't want to put you off, but I am pulling my motor to fix the trans for lake George on the 13, I will get to the prop asap. My helper(aka son) is only available until Tuesday so i need to get on the stick or fix the trailer for the Corsican. Everything I have breaks in multiples.

I cleaned it.

You can drop me a line at any time.

Thanks for keeping me posted

Last Real Texan
06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Should be out of hibernation now and on to eating big pink spawning salmon......geez those poor fish don't stand a chance......
should have some #'s soon?

TEX