PDA

View Full Version : Slow engine turn over

TBroccoli
05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
1996, 22C with a 454 mag.
My engine's initial crank over is always delayed (slow). It doesn't matter if the battery is fully charged or not. Once it turns over once it turns over quickly and starts. Do I have some sort of vapor lock?

Tom

Tidbart
05-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Vapor lock won't cause it turn over slowly, just won't start due to lack of fuel.

Sounds like the starter is on its way out. I would first check all the connections, wire brush them, tighten them, check for loose one, corroded cables, etc.

B

Might as well throw in the fact the batteries may take a charge, doesn't mean they will hold it. Best way to test them is under load. Take them to Auto-zone or some place similar, they will test them for free. At least be 100% sure it is not them before yanking the starter. My previous statement assumed the batteries were good.

TBroccoli
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the starter. One battery is old. The other is new and was load tested.

I may be pulling the starter.

Tom

MOP
05-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Go over your grounds at the block and all battery connections before you tear the starter out.

smokediver
05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
or .... your exhaust could be leaking a little water into a cylinder ...

TBroccoli
05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I will first check and tighten all wiring. If I have to, how do I check for water leaking from the exhaust into a cylinder?

Cuda
05-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm with Phil on this one. Sounds like a bad ground.

HallJ
05-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Check your oil. Is over full or look like milk shake?
I had the same symptom. It was a crack in the intake port leaking water into a cylinder.

Jeff

mjw930
05-28-2008, 02:15 PM
I had exactly the same problem on my "new to me" '87 with a '96 repower.

Somewhere along the line they decided to wire in the new 2 battery box using cables that didn't fit the package. They had 6 gauge running from the positive on the battery switch to the starter and a 6 gauge ground wired to a bolt on the water pump bracket in the front of the motor.

I replaced it with 2 gauge back to the starter and 2 gauge ground to the rear ground bolt on the block right above the starter (the proper grounding point). The motor turns over so fast now it torques the boat over :D

The moral of the story, check your cables as well as the connections and spend the few extra bucks to go with 4 gauge copper or larger depending on the distance of the run.

TBroccoli
07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
I finally got time to go over all wiring. I found the cable from the battery selector switch to the starter was damaged. The connection at the starter was almost gone (from arcing). I replaced the cable connection, checked all other cables, cleaned and tightened them all. The engine now turns over fine.

Thanks for the help.

Next problem. I am still getting an electrical burning smell when i slow down from a 10+ minute run at about 45mph. It is a faint smell that can be detected if you sniff below the dash area. I can idle around all day and not get the burning smell.

Confused!!!

Tom

Cuda
07-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I finally got time to go over all wiring. I found the cable from the battery selector switch to the starter was damaged. The connection at the starter was almost gone (from arcing). I replaced the cable connection, checked all other cables, cleaned and tightened them all. The engine now turns over fine.
Thanks for the help.
Next problem. I am still getting an electrical burning smell when i slow down from a 10+ minute run at about 45mph. It is a faint smell that can be detected if you sniff below the dash area. I can idle around all day and not get the burning smell.
Confused!!!
Tom
Easy fix. Don't slow down! :)

cutwater
07-06-2008, 11:50 PM
I am still getting an electrical burning smell when i slow down from a 10+ minute run at about 45mph. It is a faint smell that can be detected if you sniff below the dash area. I can idle around all day and not get the burning smell.

Confused!!!

Tom

I get that sometimes... It's usually just your exhaust hoses heating up and cooling down. Ever cut exhaust hose with a bandsaw or hacksaw? The smell is the same as wire insulation burning. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it progresses from faint to overwhelming.

Tidbart
07-07-2008, 06:57 AM
If you get to the point where you believe it may be the exhaust hose, pull them and look at the inside of them. That is where they breakdown, from the inside out.

Also, check your starter cable sizes. If you are running from the battery to a switch then back to the starter, your wire size should be in the 2/0 to 4/0 range, depending on length of circuit. If it is smaller, you may be overheating the connections (weak point), leading to premature failure, or it just may have been a bad crimping job.

B

TBroccoli
07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
I like the not slowing down fix.

Wires are all 2 gauge. Crimping all looks good, well except for the one I just did. I had the smell before my crimp job. I will check my exhaust hoses. If I have silent choice will I be able to get rid of the smell if it is the hoses if I divert the exhaust to the prop?

Great help. Thanks,

Tom

Tidbart
07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I like the not slowing down fix.

Wires are all 2 gauge. Crimping all looks good, well except for the one I just did. I had the smell before my crimp job. I will check my exhaust hoses. If I have silent choice will I be able to get rid of the smell if it is the hoses if I divert the exhaust to the prop?

Great help. Thanks,

Tom

Keep and eye on the battery cables #2 is kind of small for a big block and for the lengths of cables. Undersized cables will heat up more with the same amperage draw. Keep in mind that I have no idea what your starter is drawing and if it is not drawing alot, the number two may be OK. In general, a big block can draw in the range of 250-300 amps during startup. If this is the case, you will eventually smoke the #2 and need to upgrade.

I was suggesting the exhaust hose only if you perceive it to be the source of the smell. It is a bit of a stretch and a pain to remove with the Q&Q. I would do an inspection of all visible wiring looking for signs of heating and take a look at your belts and hoses for signs of wear, first, and save the labor intensive stuff for last.

B

mjw930
07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Bob,

As long as the cables stay within the bilge (< 5' run) I think 2 AWG tinned Copper is fine. If you go Aluminum then you need to get in the 2/0. The size is only to support the cranking amps. When it's running, the amperage back to the batteries could be supported with 8 AWG. I think Donzi wired the boat from the factory with 6 AWG which is not enough IMHO.

The smell seems like it's coming from under the dash but it's actually coming from the engine compartment and is not really electrical, just the smell of a warm engine since it vents it's crankcase to the atmosphere. If we had a newer boat with a firewall you wouldn't smell it (as much). On these pre-firewall boats you not only smell the engine, you feel it's heat on colder days.

TBroccoli
07-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I have a 1996 Classic with what I would call a firewall. Its a foam padded wall just forward the hatch. It only has small openings on either side for wiring to pass. The smell is new this year. No changes have been made other then fixing the cable end. I'm hoping it is the exhaust hose. What would make it start smelling just this year? Could my water flow be limited? Or do the hoses just begin to break down due to age?

Tom

MOP
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Do you smell the same odor if you lift the hatch? You need to know if it is up front or back aft! Also how long ago was the impeller changed, if had one come apart in the past was the oil cooler flushed. I flushed mine out a few weeks back and it still had one chuck of rubber I had to fish out with a pick.

Phil

TBroccoli
07-08-2008, 03:31 PM
MOP, I did change out the raw water impeller towards the end of last season. I think I got everything out. My engine temp remains constant, around 170F. When I lift the hatch I can smell the burning, but it is not more then up front. I ran the test of having a son (the one that drew the short straw) lay up under the dash to see if he could determine where the smell was coming from. Test was inconclusive (son turned green):wink: