PDA

View Full Version : 86 Minx transom rot

margo
05-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Got my minx allready for it,s first ride since i purchased it Got all kinds of compliments on how nice it came out...Dropped it in and in comes the water...Very embarrasing since the marina was mobbed for mem. day weekend..Left it there for new bellows as they working on it found much rot and corroded plates that block off the old Y pipe holes...How much of a job is it to replace the transome..Ive done some glasswork myself or should i have them do it...Thanks Joe

gcarter
05-27-2008, 03:18 PM
I've actually not done one yet....
But there're several threads here about the subject.
Lenny posted some info about some solid pressure treated plywood.
Also someone posted about some non-wood material....I think the company is in DeLand, FL. Then MOP had an idea about not extending the wood all the way to the keel so it's not setting in water so much.
All good ideas.

glashole
05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
depends on how handy you are and how good of a shop you have

motor must come out and drive come off

they do it- costs more and you will be boating in a few weeks (based on them being a reputable shop)

you do it - more agrivation but cheaper - be boating in a month or so

my opinion

get them to do it so you can start enjoying the boat

MOP
05-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Once it is stripped of everything pretty darn easy, it is the taking apart and putting back together that is the hardest part.

margo
05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Once it is stripped of everything pretty darn easy, it is the taking apart and putting back together that is the hardest part.
Could you give me an idea on the cutting out and replaceing of the transom such as material used and how much to cut out...Do you just cut out the bad stuff? Any help would be appreciated because the shop will do the mechanical end but don,t have time for the repair they are backed up... Thanks Joe

MOP
05-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Could you give me an idea on the cutting out and replaceing of the transom such as material used and how much to cut out...Do you just cut out the bad stuff? Any help would be appreciated because the shop will do the mechanical end but don,t have time for the repair they are backed up... Thanks Joe

Margo I have done quite a few, PM me you phone number and I can run you through it. It is not a bad job, getting the wood out depends on the tools you have available.

P.S. your PM box is jammed full!

Phil

margo
05-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Margo I have done quite a few, PM me you phone number and I can run you through it. It is not a bad job, getting the wood out depends on the tools you have available.

P.S. your PM box is jammed full!

Phil
My number is 518-887-5096 Thanks