PDA

View Full Version : Byron, this is firected at YOU... 540 Chevy

Lenny
05-27-2008, 12:53 AM
I still can't get over how strong your 22 was. " :eek: " 5 folks, full fuel and running mid 80's in my mind. And ROCK SOLID. :yes:
It has got me thinking, as I have to repower 1 or two. WHAT weight can I expect if I went with closed cooling, Stainless Marine and aluminum heads on a BB chevy ???

Think an 18... SERIOUSLY, in fact, if interested, I will get you to build it... :)

SERIOUSLY :yes:

ITTLFLI
05-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks Lenny! It really did surprise me how well it ran with the LOAD we had! :) :wink:

I have never weighed a rigged BBC. If we can come up with a good baseline number of what they weigh we can get a good guesstimate to answer your question. I bet the heads would save 50lbs or so? The SM headers would save another 50-75lbs? I bet some here have actually wieghed this stuff before.......

That 18 WOULD ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

gcarter
05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
But if you used a Bowtie block it would probably end up weighing MORE than all the savings you're talking about.

ITTLFLI
05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
The Bowtie is heavier but for a 540 there would not be a need for it. A standard 502 chev block works just fine for a 540!! I have been very happy with mine :shocking:

but I bet the guy in a 38 hustler I was racing sunday isn't too happy!! To quote him while he is crawling in the Bilge.."Uh yeah..something aint right." I would say that too if I got spanked by a 22 footer:smash: **note it was on a small lake where maybe he didn't have a chance to stretch the boats legs but then again he challanged me!** He limped back on one motor!! he he!!:nilly:

The Hedgehog
05-27-2008, 12:08 PM
The Bowtie is heavier but for a 540 there would not be a need for it. A standard 502 chev block works just fine for a 540!! I have been very happy with mine :shocking:
but I bet the guy in a 38 hustler I was racing sunday isn't too happy!! To quote him while he is crawling in the Bilge.."Uh yeah..something aint right." I would say that too if I got spanked by a 22 footer:smash: **note it was on a small lake where maybe he didn't have a chance to stretch the boats legs but then again he challanged me!** He limped back on one motor!! he he!!:nilly:

Nice,

I am using a 502 Block for mine as well. My engine builder and a whole group of other (Precision, Crockett, Gellner and others) say it is fine.

I would want to do some measuring first (since the block is probably wider than a 454 and the Aluminum heads will sit up a little higher. My guess it that you should be fine.

BigGrizzly
05-31-2008, 09:21 AM
My 502 with blower, CMI, genV and aluminum chevy heads, and closed cooling(empty) is 762 lbs

Lenny
06-01-2008, 09:47 AM
And what does a stock 350 weigh ? ...with cast heads, stock cast manifolds, cast intake etc.

CJmike
06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
A TPI motor fulled dressed weighed 660lbs when I pulled it out of a Trans Am I was parting out. HP to weight a ford small block kills a chevy small block per pound.