PDA

View Full Version : 98 22ft classic strakes ????

Zinger
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Last year when I set up the new bunks I noticed that the strakes from stern to the bow are not straight meaning when I put a perfectly straight board on edge on the bottom of the hull the board runs up the up a few feet but then curves as it goes to the bow. Is this normal , how much of the hull should straight without before the board starts levingh the hull . Most trailer I see have flat boards that are bent and thats not good. :shark::popcorn::hangum::worthy:

BigGrizzly
05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Your fine don't look for issues. My 22 has them as well and it is not warped and mine is a 1981. I am not running out with a straight edg and sand paper. As anyone who has ridden in it or driven it or seen it run can tell you my boat handles and rides well, even at higher than normal speeds.

Zinger
05-26-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm not looking to make them straight I was just not sure in my case that you can't lay a six foot board on the bottom and have it hit both ends the boat has a rocker in it.

mjw930
05-27-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm not looking to make them straight I was just not sure in my case that you can't lay a six foot board on the bottom and have it hit both ends the boat has a rocker in it.
Hook and rocker really only have any effect when you are talking about the last 1 or 2 feet of the hull near the transom. If you are close to a marina that has dry storage spend some time watching as they fork lift boats out of the water and see how much of the hull is actually in contact with the fork lift, it will surprise you.

The effect you describe is one of the reasons I don't like the common practice of using large planks of wood turned on edge as most of the current "bunk" trailers use. I like to use the flatter surface of a 2 x 6 and allow it to contour with the curve of the hull to cradle it. It's the type of bunk you see on Myco, Eagle and other high dollar, custom trailers.

Fiberglass boats flex and IMHO the old style stringers and bulkheads used on the classics are not conductive to trailers that use vertical bunks close to the chine. You really need to be aware of the stringer / bulkhead layout when you design a trailer bunk system. NEVER support the full weight of the boat outside the last strake, there's no stringer / bulkhead support in that area on an older classic. The bulk of the weight of the boat should be supported as close to the keel as possible IMHO and spread out between the keel and the inside of the main strake. Although it's not really needed, I may also add an additional bunk between the chine and the strake for the last 6' of the hull but that's just me being anal. One other thing, always make sure the main support bunks extend past the transom. I've seen a lot of boats where the bunks end 1 or 2" before the transom, in effect hanging the transom off the back of the trailer. This is a sure way to introduce hook into the hull. I plan on having my old boat for a long time and IMHO proper storage is one of the keys to longevity.

BigGrizzly
05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Oh my god someone has actually studied the the hulls in various areas before making a statement. Thank you MJW930 very good observations. OK poodle I exaggerated a tad on the speed, not so much that you should notice.

MOP
05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I dug around in the way back posts last night, there was a post by Browie stated that basically all Donzi classics has some hook. If anyone would know it is Brownie!!!

Zinger
05-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Hook and rocker really only have any effect when you are talking about the last 1 or 2 feet of the hull near the transom. If you are close to a marina that has dry storage spend some time watching as they fork lift boats out of the water and see how much of the hull is actually in contact with the fork lift, it will surprise you.

The effect you describe is one of the reasons I don't like the common practice of using large planks of wood turned on edge as most of the current "bunk" trailers use. I like to use the flatter surface of a 2 x 6 and allow it to contour with the curve of the hull to cradle it. It's the type of bunk you see on Myco, Eagle and other high dollar, custom trailers.

I maybe not making myself clear or your not getting my point, I don't have the bunks flat they are 6x12's on edge which will hold your boat my boat and your myco trailer. I 'm just ask how many feet from the stern to the bow would you expect to see straight , because if I put a six foot board on edge from the stern the bow section is clear not hitting the hull.

mjw930
05-27-2008, 09:26 PM
I maybe not making myself clear or your not getting my point, I don't have the bunks flat they are 6x12's on edge which will hold your boat my boat and your myco trailer. I 'm just ask how many feet from the stern to the bow would you expect to see straight , because if I put a six foot board on edge from the stern the bow section is clear not hitting the hull.

I understood exactly what you were describing, I'm very familiar with 6x12's used on edge for trailer bunks. To answer your direct question, on mine it's relatively flat for the first 4' or so then it starts to turn up and in. By relatively flat I mean +- 1/4" over that 4' span. I'll have my boat back Thursday evening so I'll throw a board up on it and let you know what I find.

sweet 16 1966
05-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm impressed with the back up job. Looks very tight!

zelatore
05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Don't let 'em fool ya, he ran it up the drive with his lawn tractor, THEN backed the long-wheelbase truck up to it... :wink:

zelatore
05-28-2008, 09:55 AM
I love the title of the pic....:tongue:

Don't they know how to design a driveway down in the south??

Back (sort of) on topic, that's a sharp looking trailer design. One of the line you carry I'm guessing? (seems like I've seen pics of those around here before)

zelatore
05-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Thats the trailers I have built for the 22's.. Rides and tows perfect, launches and retrieves like a dream..

So, not like I'm going to run out and buy one since I've got a perfectly workable one-year-old aluminum trailer under my boat now, but what sort of coin would a fella part with to pick up something like that?

I'm just asking so I'll have something else to b!itch about when I hear it only costs $12.99 more than the Venture my boat's sitting on... :doh:

zelatore
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
What?? I thought delivery was included!!

Seriously, just yesterday we finalized a deal on a little Albin 28. They buyers tried to get us to include shipping .... to Guam!

We did throw in a trailer to make it easier to ship, and really cut the price, but seriously, you're looking at something around $20K+ in shipping cost they expected us to eat! :eek!:

Say....one of you guys is into off-shore shipping, right....? Ever ship anything in the pacific?