PDA

View Full Version : Some older Formula

onesubdrvr
05-26-2008, 07:22 AM
24' (?)

Here is some pictures with the HIN, can someone provide some info on this boat (hull performance / model / picts of one in good shape, etc.)?

Thanks!
Wayne

onesubdrvr
05-27-2008, 08:03 PM
OK, looks like its a F233C,... Boat had an OMC Cobra drive on it, which would indicate mide 80's to me, but HIN seems to indicate '76?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Wayne

BUIZILLA
05-27-2008, 08:20 PM
ask Cuda..

I say F204

Craig S
05-28-2008, 08:56 AM
...altzheimers...I thought I responded to this yesterday. It looks like the F20 I bought (after it had fallen off the trailer).

onesubdrvr
09-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, I've just spent a ton of time trying to figure out exactly what hull this was.

Seems to me that it's a 1976 F20. The only thing that doesn't look right is the dash configuration, and the drive. Now, my dad had this boat for about 8 years before I yanked the engine out of it, so I don't know the whole history, but he got it with the OMC Cobra, which doesn't make sense for a 76, which means it would have had to be repowered, which makes me think maybe the dash was changed to accomodate the new power / drive.

So, as you can tell, this would be a complete resto, do you think this one is a better candidate for the junk yard, or do you think it would be a good boat when done?

Not that I'm looking to tackle a huge project, but dad wants it gone, and if I don't take it, or find some one to take it, it's going to the scrap yard.

Me :wink:

Morgan's Cloud
09-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I think that if done right you would have a very good boat in the end .

I think the hull is one of the Porter family's earlier designs as they were breaking away from the venerable original Aronow 233 hull design.

The Formulas of that era were easy on the eye and had a really decent hull as you can see.

Because of their generous proportions they make excellent all 'round family boats , but with enough power in that hull , ought to put a grin on your face too.

If it's not full of rot I think it would make an excellent project and you'd end up with a keeper .

onesubdrvr
09-16-2008, 08:21 PM
MC,

It's not full of rot, the transom needs to be re-done, and maybe the stringers by now (being as it was turned into a planter :boggled:), but the gel above the water line is good, you can see the transom and hull need lots of work, but it's no blisters, just sanding, priming, repeat until happy and paint lol.

I'd repower it anyway, likely with a Volvo drive, maybe a dpx.

I would have sworn this was a 24' boat without measuring it, I guess because it's so much taller than the Donzi, but the only thing it looks like it can be to me is an F-20

Thanks for the input
Wayne <-- where did I put that trailer, and where am I going to put this boat (lol)

gold-n-rod
09-16-2008, 08:47 PM
It's not full of rot, the transom needs to be re-done, and maybe the stringers by now (being as it was turned into a planter :boggled:)

Gawd, I'd hate to hear your definition of "full of rot!"

:bonk:

onesubdrvr
09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Gawd, I'd hate to hear your definition of "full of rot!"

:bonk:
lol,... all of the crossmembers are solid, I'd want to re-do the stringers for a big-block anyway, but honestly haven't felt how "solid" they are. Same with the transom, don't really know how solid it is / isn't. The bigger point is it's free,..... but that doesn't mean anything after the cost of fixing her up.

If your vote is that it's better left to the dump, next time I'm up there, I'll just pull the transom assembly off, and tell dad to have it towed away.

Thanks
Wayne

ps, I really want a Donzi, but free is free lol