PDA

View Full Version : AOTH Bravo I Carnage

RedDog
05-25-2008, 10:48 AM
As some know, my Bravo I developed a bad vibration and clunking noise mid-day Saturday. I was able to limp the few miles back to the Jamestown Marina at idle speed. Yesterday I pulled the drive and the u-joints and gimbal bearing seemed fine. Today I pulled the top cap and there are small chunks of metal dispersed around the top bearing and gear. The teeth on the gear looked ok but then I only had limited visibility.

So, I guess it is off to the shop. What is the range of $cha-ching low to high is this going to run me. Worst case vs best case.

MOP
05-25-2008, 01:14 PM
As some know, my Bravo I developed a bad vibration and clunking noise mid-day Saturday. I was able to limp the few miles back to the Jamestown Marina at idle speed. Yesterday I pulled the drive and the u-joints and gimbal bearing seemed fine. Today I pulled the top cap and there are small chunks of metal dispersed around the top bearing and gear. The teeth on the gear looked ok but then I only had limited visibility.
So, I guess it is off to the shop. What is the range of $cha-ching low to high is this going to run me. Worst case vs best case.

Get a solid estimate, the newer drives with the better gears and bearing towers are not to bad $$. I grabbed a new style diesel X for less then Merc wants for a B1.

Phil

smokediver
05-25-2008, 04:43 PM
I had a friend here tank his bravo .. Actually , he had to get a new transom assembly , XR upper and imco lower ... I think it was a good chunk of change ... Hopefully you will be luckier and back on the water soon !!!

Air 22
05-25-2008, 05:00 PM
First...check with your Ins company...it may only cost you the deductible if you have one....I smacked my lower unit 2 yrs ago trashed the prop and skeg:eek!:..damage was considered bad.:nilly:..The INS company replaced the entire drive as "insurance" to the possible unseen damage on the upper unit....:cool:
My cost $200.00 for a New Bravo One..:wink:

Check the link below...They sponsor this site...ask for Scott Vanalsteine. He runs this site...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bravo-1-Mercruiser-Drive-Bravo-One-Outdrive-for-Boat_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQihZ022QQite mZ350062995790QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

We will keep our fingers :crossfing:crosssed for you...keep us posted:smash:

Carl C
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
First...check with your Ins company...it may only cost you the deductible if you have one....I smacked my lower unit 2 yrs ago trashed the prop and skeg:eek!:..damage was considered bad.:nilly:..The INS company replaced the entire drive as "insurance" to the possible unseen damage on the upper unit....:cool:
My cost $200.00 for a New Bravo One..:wink:

Check the link below...They sponsor this site...ask for Scott Vanalsteine. He runs this site...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bravo-1-Mercruiser-Drive-Bravo-One-Outdrive-for-Boat_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQihZ022QQite mZ350062995790QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

We will keep our fingers :crossfing:crosssed for you...keep us posted:smash: Good advice here. If you struck a submerged object it is an accident that should be covered by insurance. Plain mechanical failure is not covered.

The Hedgehog
05-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Get a solid estimate, the newer drives with the better gears and bearing towers are not to bad $$. I grabbed a new style diesel X for less then Merc wants for a B1.
Phil

Listen to Phil and shop around. Lots of deals to be had and it should not kill you.

You don't need any IMCO or XR stuff unless you are slinging major power.

osur866
05-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Tim, you can buy new bravo 1's complete off oso all the time for around 3300-3600 upper and lower complete and I'm sure there are probably better deals out there if your will to look and wait. Steve

Sam
05-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Ouch :doh:, sorry to hear that Tim.

MOP
05-26-2008, 08:31 AM
IMO the decision whether or not to spring for new depends on if your drive has all the latest upgrades that Merc has done, that would weight heavy on my mind. Starting completely new can not be beat, I could have picked a cheaper older drive but opted for a new style Diesel X which my mouse motor will never break.

mjw930
05-26-2008, 08:37 AM
IMO the decision whether or not to spring for new depends on if your drive has all the latest upgrades that Merc has done, that would weight heavy on my mind. Starting completely new can not be beat, I could have picked a cheaper older drive but opted for a new style Diesel X which my mouse motor will never break.

A lot also depends on who is doing the drive rebuild. If they are just throwing replacement parts back into it then yes, you are better off going with an upgraded unit if you can find one at a reasonable price.

There are shops that specialize in high performance rebuilds and have a long track record of building relatively bullet proof drives from older Bravo casing. Speedmasters in DeLand, FL are one of those shops. It's at least worth talking to them about what can be done with a stock unit before ditching it and buying new because even the new drives have issues that someday could bite you in the ass and shops like Speedmasters know what to change to give you that extra longevity.

Cuda
05-26-2008, 09:16 AM
A lot also depends on who is doing the drive rebuild. If they are just throwing replacement parts back into it then yes, you are better off going with an upgraded unit if you can find one at a reasonable price.
There are shops that specialize in high performance rebuilds and have a long track record of building relatively bullet proof drives from older Bravo casing. Speedmasters in DeLand, FL are one of those shops. It's at least worth talking to them about what can be done with a stock unit before ditching it and buying new because even the new drives have issues that someday could bite you in the ass and shops like Speedmasters know what to change to give you that extra longevity.
I can vouch for Galen at Speedmasters also. He worked on the drive to my Minx, and rebuilt the transmission for the 22 TRS. Not a problem with either.

RedDog
05-26-2008, 10:08 AM
If the housings are fine there is no need to buy a replacement.. Give me a serial # off the drive, I'll look up the wear parts for ya..

On the drive, for serial Number all it says is 1.50R - obviously the gear ratio. No other numbers. The transom serial number if it helps is 0L153480. Should be a 1998 model.

Suggestions to replace this drive seem rather excessive when it can be rebuilt.

Poodle - I assume the lower is fine?

MOP
05-26-2008, 02:59 PM
The question I would like to know the answer is when did they put the steel bearing towers in the Bravo, reading quite a bit here and on several other sites "non" steel tower drives should be avoided if you intend to run them hard. If you have the steel tower and no case damage by all means get it to good shop. The whole boils down to the reliability of the newer drives, how new is new depends on the steel tower which I believe came into play much more recently the 98!

The Hedgehog
05-26-2008, 04:33 PM
The question I would like to know the answer is when did they put the steel bearing towers in the Bravo, reading quite a bit here and on several other sites "non" steel tower drives should be avoided if you intend to run them hard. If you have the steel tower and no case damage by all means get it to good shop. The whole boils down to the reliability of the newer drives, how new is new depends on the steel tower which I believe came into play much more recently the 98!

I think that only the XR's came with steel towers. Maybe the Diesel does too. I do know that there are folks that add steel towers to regular Bravo's to beef them up.

roadtrip se
05-27-2008, 08:26 AM
for just fix it. Of course the guy who tears it down will let you know if you can do this...

Estimate for the upper gears and some other stuff in the XZ Bravo on the Scorpion boat is coming in at about $1300 installed. Parts are about $950 and the rest is labor.

Definitly cheaper than throwing it out and starting over.

If it breaks again, THEN I will throw it out.

BigGrizzly
05-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Darn it RT let your wife drive it you can mess up a crow bar:eek:

blackhawk
06-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I think that only the XR's came with steel towers. Maybe the Diesel does too. I do know that there are folks that add steel towers to regular Bravo's to beef them up.

The X, XZ and XR all came with the steel towers.

The Hedgehog
06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
The X, XZ and XR all came with the steel towers.

Those too:hangum:

RedDog
06-10-2008, 07:53 PM
OK - I think Genuine Trouble is ready for the water (following a good cleaning). I had to have a "gear set assembly" and misc other seals/bearings/stuff installed. I think this is an upgrade over what came in the '98 vintage Bravo. I sure hope so for the cost :hangum:

I put the drive back on today and tested it on the hose in my drive. It worked with no obvious problems. Water test soon.

osur866
06-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Glad to here you will be up and going again. :crossfing: