PDA

View Full Version : 1971 18' 2+3

Conquistador_del_mar
05-25-2008, 02:04 AM
This morning I pulled up the listings for boats on the Dallas Craigslist. I couldn't believe seeing my old 1971 for sale!! After calling the seller, I made the deal and went down this evening to pick it up. It still has the Volvo Penta speedmasters drive and trim tabs that I installed in about 1975 and the trimable outdrive gimbal assembly that I installed off my Eliminator in about 1995 after buying it for the 3rd time. I haven't seen it for about 8 years until today. It will need some work, but I will be restoring it soon. Somewhere along the line, it was titled as a 1981. I first bought it in 1973 from the original owner. It brought back some great memories as I was pulling it home tonight!! Here was the ad copy from the listing on Craigslist. Bill

1981 Donzi Classic - $4250 (Garland, Texas)

Reply to: sale-693323884@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-05-24, 10:34AM CDT

Must Sell, 1981 Donzi Classic, Very low hours on high performance bored out 350 Chev. motor, Stainless steel headers, high performance cam, flat top pistons, Volvo racing outdrive, trim tabs, cleaver prop, very nice interior, much more. Needs work; spun shaft between motor and outdrive. No reasonable offer refused. Call XXXXX

gcarter
05-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Must be like a child turning up after many years......:)

Conquistador_del_mar
05-25-2008, 11:34 AM

Yes, I felt great about getting the chance to bring it back to its former state and drive it again after quite a few years "missing". It is hull number C18420 if anyone cares about keeping those records. It originally came with an LT1 350/350HP engine with Corvette flags on the valve covers. Bill

The Hedgehog
05-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Nice,

That is a great find

joseph m. hahnl
05-26-2008, 08:53 AM

More Like a child coming home from a broken marriage. Where Is Mom and Pop, have to build them back up, to send them out into the world again.:smash:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Nice,

That is a great find

Thanks. I thought his asking price was very reasonable. I hope that I don't run into any unforeseen problems like the fuel tank leaking. Other than that I am prepared to do the restoration. It has the original gelcoat which has seen better days so I plan to Imron the hull and deck with the original colors after fixing the flaws. I will have to decide if I want to keep it this time for an extended period of time which will influence me as to how much time and $ I want to put into it. Right now, I am inclined to keep it forever this time - at least until I shake hands with the angels - lol. I am 55 now so I don't have nearly the physical stamina that I once had, but I still do all my own work. Bill

More Like a child coming home from a broken marriage. Where Is Mom and Pop, have to build them back up, to send them out into the world again.:smash:

Now that was funny. Any car or boat that I have bought ends up being in much better condition after I have had a chance to make the improvements - this won't be any different. I am just not as fast as I was a few years ago. Bill

The Hedgehog
05-26-2008, 04:31 PM
It is always good to have a classic Donzi around.

Take a moisture meter and probe around the tank closely. I found some issues on my 1973 X-18 in that area. It smelled slightly like fuel. Other than that mine was in great shape. I did the tank so I would not have to worry about it. I am glad I did. I picked up an extra 15 gallons too.

If all checks out that is a good price.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-26-2008, 09:58 PM
It is always good to have a classic Donzi around.

Take a moisture meter and probe around the tank closely. I found some issues on my 1973 X-18 in that area. It smelled slightly like fuel. Other than that mine was in great shape. I did the tank so I would not have to worry about it. I am glad I did. I picked up an extra 15 gallons too.

If all checks out that is a good price.

If I remember correctly, the 18' only has a 25 gallon tank. How did you get yours to hold an extra 15 gallons? Extending the length? I felt like $4250 was a good price especially considering the nicely bunked tandem axle Rocket trailer with mags and the speedmasters with the trimable drive setup. I will be checking it out tomorrow (including the fuel tank) since I should have a little time available. I tracked down the drive shaft tonight - no problem. Bill

The Hedgehog
05-27-2008, 07:11 AM
If I remember correctly, the 18' only has a 25 gallon tank. How did you get yours to hold an extra 15 gallons? Extending the length? I felt like $4250 was a good price especially considering the nicely bunked tandem axle Rocket trailer with mags and the speedmasters with the trimable drive setup. I will be checking it out tomorrow (including the fuel tank) since I should have a little time available. I tracked down the drive shaft tonight - no problem. Bill

Yes, it is a good price. And you have a bunch of things that can be re-used.

I put a late model tank in mine. I just had to move the bulkhead back.