PDA

View Full Version : Need better "Earmuffs"

David Ochs
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Does anybody know of a better design than the standard earmuffs for connecting a garden hose to my old 250 drive. The set I have been using are letting too much water to escape and it makes it difficult to prime the pump and get adequate flow.

I have been pulling off the intake line from the outdrive and putting water directly to it. Plenty of water that way, however it does seem to let the outdrive generate a lot of heat. And, it is a drag to have to go through that process.

Thank a lot,
Dave

penbroke
05-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Have you tried the Volvo specific (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/278596/377%20710/0/flusher/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=flusher&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=flusher&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=169&classNum=202) earmuff flushing attachment?

I have been putting water directly into the water pump intake but I always wanted to try one of these...

Frank :cool:

MOP
05-23-2008, 09:33 PM
How did I know Mr. broken Pen would be the first to jump in on this!!! But a usual correct! There are only two options the Volvo specific muffs or a hose T and a check valve!

Phil

Conquistador_del_mar
05-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Does anybody know of a better design than the standard earmuffs for connecting a garden hose to my old 250 drive. The set I have been using are letting too much water to escape and it makes it difficult to prime the pump and get adequate flow.

I have been pulling off the intake line from the outdrive and putting water directly to it. Plenty of water that way, however it does seem to let the outdrive generate a lot of heat. And, it is a drag to have to go through that process.

Thank a lot,
Dave

David,
Did you happen to grow up in Memphis, TN? I knew a David Ochs from there - unusual name. Bill

JimG
05-24-2008, 06:18 AM
I installed a hose t on mine. No more muffs!

samjannarone
05-24-2008, 06:38 AM
My X-18, 1976, has a large bronze valve on the water intake hose connected to a thru transom hose fitting. Seems original. Anybody else have this setup?

p729lws
05-24-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm thinking about giving one of these a try.

David Ochs
05-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Yep, been using "Volvo Specific" set. As I've said, putting the water directly to the intake line is definately the best for getting the water to the pump. But, I do have concerns about running it for an extended time because of the outdrive getting hot.
I think I'll try to design something that will sort of clamp on to the drive and keep leakage to a minimum.
Thank you for the input.
No, never lived in Memphis and yes it is an unusual name, just like me!

David Ochs
05-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Yep, been using "Volvo Specific" set. As I've said, putting the water directly to the intake line is definately the best for getting the water to the pump. But, I do have concerns about running it for an extended time because of the outdrive getting hot.
I think I'll try to design something that will sort of clamp on to the drive and keep leakage to a minimum.
Thank you for the input.
No, never lived in Memphis and yes it is an unusual name, just like me!

BigGrizzly
05-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Long time no hear, glad you are back. I use a T with a ball valve and a quick connector for a hose. This way a little watter flows both ways, when not accelerating.

zimm17
05-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I do the same. Hardin marine t-fitting with a hull mounted hose fitting and ball valve to shut it down when not flushing. Water flows out drive until you start engine, then water pump pulls all the water. I haven't burned up an impeller since ditching my earmuffs.

gcarter
05-26-2008, 05:57 PM
There is no load on the drive out of the water, therefore there will never be any heat generated as all it's doing is churning oil.

Seriously:doh:

David Ochs
05-27-2008, 02:22 PM
There is no load on the drive out of the water, therefore there will never be any heat generated as all it's doing is churning oil.
Seriously:doh:

My thoughts exactly! But it does get pretty hot to the touch when I let it run for 15-20 minutes or so. I can't imagine why, as you said it's not under any load. Also, I switched over to using the blue "Globe" nitrile impeller years ago. After neglecting to change the conventional black rubber one from Jabsco for several years, I discovered that many of the blades had disappeared. They claim that the blue nitrile impellers can sustain considerably more dry running than the others. Kind of pricey though.