PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Quote

brwn234
05-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Currently my 22ZX is insured through progressive. My wife and I are moving to Ft. Lauderdale in a few months so I figured I'd get a quote to see how much it will be for insurance in florida. Progressive wants $1950 a year!!! I had to stop myself from asking the nice woman on the phone what she was smokin. Who do you guys have your boats insured through. I'm know insuring in FL will be more than northern VA, but not that much.

Tidbart
05-23-2008, 08:38 AM
22 Classic 1997 502
2008 Trailer

Progressive $425/yr

But I live in Orlando.

B

BabyDonzi
05-23-2008, 12:20 PM
2000 22 ZX 454 MAG with 07 trailer $1,200 with comp, collision and towing in West Palm Beach. Nationwide.
I'm now in S.C. Same coverage with Allstate $500. All my auto insurance dropped 60% too. Nothing's finer than South Carolina!

Tony
05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Worldwide Marine Underwriters, Inc.
Bob Luellen, 800-339-1235.

:beer:

MOP
05-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Quote: Progressive wants $1950 a year!!! Man that is some high compared to others with the same company, do you have a bad driving record? I know they tie that in! My 86 22CC costs $312 with Progressive here on Long Island, some of that is due to our short season.

Phil

mjw930
05-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Currently my 22ZX is insured through progressive. My wife and I are moving to Ft. Lauderdale in a few months so I figured I'd get a quote to see how much it will be for insurance in florida. Progressive wants $1950 a year!!! I had to stop myself from asking the nice woman on the phone what she was smokin. Who do you guys have your boats insured through. I'm know insuring in FL will be more than northern VA, but not that much.

That area is a tough market but call go to Allstate.com and do the online quote thing using the zip code of where you are moving. That will get an agent who specializes in boat insurance for that area to call you back. They beat the best price I could get in January by $300 / year. Progressive wanted over $1200.

Allstate has a pretty aggressive package for boats under 25' on the coast, I was surprised to say the least. Ft. Lauderdale may not qualify but Daytona did.

yeller
05-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Allstate

Shouldn't americans be boycotting Allstate? Didn't they deny almost every single claim after Katrina? Just what I saw in the news up here :canada:

yeller
05-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Crist, attending a hurricane conference in Fort Lauderdale, said he was "delighted" with the court decision.

"Some of these insurance companies, like Allstate, have been horrific," he said. "They haven't been good to our people."

Trouble with the auto sector too. Seems like a really **it-hole of a company.

mjw930
05-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Allstate is currently banned from writing insurance in Fl...

And then they promptly lifted it.

State lifts Allstate's new-policy ban

By Tom Zucco, Times Staff Writer
In print: Saturday, May 17, 2008

The suspension was more like a timeout.

Two days after Florida Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty ordered insurance heavyweight Allstate to stop selling new policies until it complies with subpoenas, McCarty lifted the ban Friday, saying Allstate had submitted a signed affidavit certifying the company has given regulators all the documents they seek.

"I have stayed the suspension of Allstate, and I have accepted its affidavit as evidence that they have completely and unconditionally complied with Florida law and with our requests for documents," McCarty said in a statement. "I also, though, have made it perfectly clear that failure to cooperate with necessary, ongoing requests from (regulators) will result in an immediate resumption of the suspension."

Allstate has produced more than 825,000 pages of documents since it was sent subpoenas in October, but the vast majority where shipped to the state only after McCarty tried to shut the company down.

Regulators are investigating Allstate's reinsurance program and its relationships with risk modeling companies, insurance rating organizations and insurance trade associations. Office of Insurance Regulation spokesman Tom Zutell said he could not say specifically what documents regulators are looking for. But both McCarty and Gov. Charlie Crist have said the state would investigate the possibility of collusion.

"The commissioner's goal in this was to enforce the law," Zutell said.

Allstate spokesman Adam Shores said it would be difficult to quantify how much money Allstate lost by not being able to sell for two days. The company has dropped close to a half-million Florida homeowners policies over the past five years, but it remains the second-largest auto insurer in Florida with about 1.7-million policies. Allstate wrote an average of about $564,000 a month in new auto business in the state last year and sells about 3,500 new auto policies a week statewide.

"The immediate concern of lifting the ban has been addressed," Shores said. "We're looking forward to having a continuous dialogue with (regulators) about solutions to the property insurance market."

But this is not the end of Allstate's troubles. The Illinois-based insurer also faces a possible suspension regarding its 2007 rate filing. The company requested a 42-percent rate hike, the largest of any major insurer, and regulators immediately denied it. But that filing opened the door to a closer examination of Allstate and led regulators to accuse the company of failing to comply with subpoenas, falsely asserting trade secrets and false certification of its filing.

After a hearing set for June 16, an administrative law judge will make a recommendation to McCarty.

Despite the looming uncertainty, Friday's move was welcome news to Allstate's 1,100 agents and 4,000 support staffers throughout Florida.

"But with so much bad press," said Jim Fish, executive director of the National Association of Professional Allstate Agents, a group not affiliated with Allstate Corp., "they're pretty much angry with Allstate at this point because of how long it took to get this resolved."

Allstate, which recorded profits of $4.6-billion last year, saw its stock drop 46 cents Friday to close at $50.07.

Tom Zucco can be reached

at zucco@sptimes.com

or (727) 893-8247.

[Last modified: May 19, 2008 02:04 PM]

mjw930
05-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Allstate
Shouldn't americans be boycotting Allstate? Didn't they deny almost every single claim after Katrina? Just what I saw in the news up here :canada:

Perhaps they did but so did ALL the major insurers. The problem was related to water damage vs. windstorm damage. 90% of the damage was done by the storm surge and they, along with State Farm, Nationwide, etc. argued the damage was due to flooding and was excluded. The state and federal government stepped in and resolved some issues but I'm sure there are others outstanding.

mjw930
05-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Trouble with the auto sector too. Seems like a really **it-hole of a company.

Don't kid yourself, all of the major insurers have horror stories out there from someone who feels wronged. Sometimes it's the insurance companies fault and sometimes it's the insured fault. It far too complex an issue to sum up in a sentence or 2.

I'll take my chances with one of the largest insurance companies in the world when they can save me $500 / year (50% of the cost) on my insurance.

brwn234
05-24-2008, 04:36 PM
I appreciate all your suggestions. I think Progressive is just crazy. My driving record is great. Never had an accident and only two tickets, one when I was 16 and one about 4 or 5 years ago, neither for speeding. I'm 27 now. The wife just totaled her car the day before she was going to sell it to get her company car. I didnt even think about that affecting the rate. Maybe I'll tell her she's not allowed to drive the boat anymore. I'm gonna try Nationwide, Allstate and some of the others you guys have suggested.
Oh by the way I called Geico and they said no problem we'll get your a quote. They called me back 20 mins later telling me they dont insure boats as old as mine, its a 2000.

yeller
05-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Don't kid yourself, all of the major insurers have horror stories out there from someone who feels wronged. I don't think many of them get banned though. I admit I don't know the whole story, just what I've seen on the news........and we know they are never wrong. :wink: I think it was a 60 minutes program and it was as you said, Allstate was denying claims because they said it was flood damage. The thing with the 60 minutes program was that they were in an area that saw minimal or no flooding at all and claims were still being denied. It's possible other companies were doing the same and the news just keyed in on Allstate.

Don't think for a second, I'm trying to single you out. :beer: It's just when you mentioned Allstate, it triggered that program in my head.

mjw930
05-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Actually, Allstates' biggest issue here was their refusal to release subpoena'd documents to the State.. I thought the overturn of the writing injunction was also overturned, maybe not... They are cheaper on motor vehicle's etc, but they have pretty much stopped writing homeowners I believe, which is the State's biggest beef with them. Going for the gravy policies does not fly well with the state...

Agreed and I did think long and hard before I decided to go with them but in the end any break in price I can get, I'll take.

Yeller, No problems, I don't like the big companies any more than the next guy so I made sure to take out flood insurance on top of my homeowners now that I'm within 2 miles of the ocean. :wink: