PDA

View Full Version : '94 King Cobra Water Pump melts/leaks??

Brambo
05-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Last year installed a new Impeller, Gasket, Liner & Housing (did not see the Repair Kit #3854661). Now have the same problem; the plastic housing melts allowing the liner to rotate a couple of degrees & water will flow out when using the muffs. I am going to install Water Pump Repair Kit this time (includes Plate??).

Never ran motor without water, only 50 hours, - why would this happen? Is there something I could have missed?

Thanks.

Barry Eller
05-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Last year installed a new Impeller, Gasket, Liner & Housing (did not see the Repair Kit #3854661). Now have the same problem; the plastic housing melts allowing the liner to rotate a couple of degrees & water will flow out when using the muffs. I am going to install Water Pump Repair Kit this time (includes Plate??).

Never ran motor without water, only 50 hours, - why would this happen? Is there something I could have missed?

Thanks.

This has happened to me also. Just turning over the engine without water going to the pump will fry the impeller. The plastic housing will melt. Also revving the engine to high rpms on the hose without sufficient water pressure will do it too. At least it is easy to change. With a Mercury you have to drop the lower unit from the outdrive if it uses the lower unit pump.

Brambo
05-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Has anyone used eBasicPower;

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/OMC3J/Water+Pump+Parts+for+OMC

This is half the other guys?

Maybe not "OEM"?

MOP
05-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Barry you hit ti on the head! Way back the OMC factory rep said any and all plastic lined pumps should never see more the 12-1500 RPM on a good 3/4" hose with good pressure.