PDA

View Full Version : What are you using for battery hold downs?

jvcobra
05-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Not really performance talk but I was wondering what you guys were using for battery trays/hold downs. The 1987 22' Classic I bought just had the battery in the compartment below the rear seat and no real hold down to speak of. Is this the correct spot? Can anyone recommend a good hold down system?

Thanks!

Joe

gcarter
05-22-2008, 01:58 PM
There was originally a molded plastic piece that fit over a standard group 27 battery and over the studs that are at each end of the compartment. I suspect a standard metal hold down will come close to fitting if its attachments are at the battery ends. The plastic part is convenient because it also insulated the battery from anything else you put in there.
If you ask, there may be someone around here that still has their old cover. Many folks like to move the battery(s) to the transom, but I personally like the under seat position.

chappy
05-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm with George on this one. I like the old school plastic cover with wing nuts over the studs.

MOP
05-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Is it a USCG or Insurance issue that insists on battery boxes? On a few surveys the boats were written up for not having battery boxes. I know it exists with one or the other, I have had several owners that had to correct the issue.

BigGrizzly
05-23-2008, 08:51 AM
The reason was broken batteries in the old Bakalite sp days. acid and stuffing boxes and scuttle valves don't mix. I actually saw a 55 Chris Romer where the valve was eaten away, really weird, looked just like a corroded battery post.

zimm17
05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Not really performance talk but I was wondering what you guys were using for battery trays/hold downs. The 1987 22' Classic I bought just had the battery in the compartment below the rear seat and no real hold down to speak of. Is this the correct spot? Can anyone recommend a good hold down system?

Thanks!

Joe

THAT'S why there are holes drilled into my storage box. My boat came with dual batteries added to a piece of king starboard in the engine compartment. It didn't hold the weight, so I made a shelf out of 3/4" plywood, sealed it with fiberglass resin, and painted it bilgecoat grey. Then a pair of stainless marine battery tiedowns.

I also added a battery charging isolator, so no matter which battery is selected, it automatically charges both. Now no worries killing a battery cranking the engine over or listening to the radio.

In the pics, ignore my old prototype cooling system hoses...