PDA

View Full Version : AOTH Improvement Feedback Please...

roadtrip se
05-22-2008, 12:58 PM
On behalf of the organizing committe from the Midwest Donzi Club, I want to thank everybody who came to Lake Cumberland last week and blew the cob webs out. Please come back!

My phone has not stopped ringing since Sunday with old and new friends calling to talk about the rally. I have received tons of feedback (90% of it positive), wanted to share some highlights with you all, and ask for more.

So here it is:

1) Please look at scheduling the event a few weeks later in the season to improve the weather chances and help families with chidren still in school. We could look at early June and still not conflict with Lake George on Father's Day weekend.

2) Set a date a little farther out. The committee will set a date by Christmas this year.

3) People coming from farther away would like to make this trip a full week.
We could possibly set group excursions out to Lake Cumberland Marine, Bourbon country, the Corvette factory/mueseum, and Mammoth Caves for those interested and arriving earlier in the week.

4) Friday's meal did not compare to Saturday's. Debbie Floyd mentioned possible catering Friday evening and I told her to be careful what she volunteered for. We'll fix this.

5) People will pay more in registration, if part of the proceeds go to a charity.

6) We want to see the pictures that the Truesdales took. We will attempt to get the pics up on display for longer periods of time next year, so you can order hard copies.

7) The auction went too long. We may take some of the items and put them up for silent auction bidding to shorten the time it takes to run through the list. As for Tom and Mick, what can you do?

8) We would like to see another rally in August on Cumberland. Let me know what you think and we'll look at setting it up.

Your feedback and participation is appreciated!

Carl C
05-22-2008, 01:17 PM
#3!! But don't plan non boating excursions as the week-days would most likely be the best days for boating. If the event started on a monday or tuesday, with boating in mind, I will be there in '09.

glashole
05-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I know you are all wondering what my opinion is so here goes

perfect weekend don't change the dates
always has and always should be before the long weekend- makes the rooms cheaper as well

anyone wanting to come early just has to book the rooms for earlier in the week
the more people that come early the more people you can have on the extracuricular activities

friday's meal is what it is

barbeque

it takes alot of work to get the big meal for the second night (believe me I watched) and would be even more to have 2 totally different menus for consecutive evenings
the good meal on friday is the lunch- have a bigger one there if you were still hungry
or take an extra hour to get to the restaurant so it is closer to dinner time when you finally eat

charity is always a good thing- but donate before you come
keep the prices to reflect the cost to host the event

the pictures are a good idea
keep in mind it is always tough to keep the Truesdales up to speed - just deal with them being slower and leave screen doors open if you are ahead of them

the length of the auction is directionally proportional to the amount of items on the table
more poeple=more money and auction time

you can never get enough of Tom
my opinion is more prizes and keep him up there longer
(and add more moonshine)
a silent auction is a good idea though
or start the auction a litle earlier if some of you are having a tough time staying up
or get more fog horns

as far as another event
if you want to go to another event in august
go and support the other clubs and see a different lake

Shameless plug.........

with that in mind please note that the Weller's Bay Donzi Club hosts a rally every weekend we are not at another club's event
We also have a 100% attendance rate of all our members if anyone would like to make the trek up to Canada and meet them all

always an open invitation

call first

Shea

RedDog
05-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Who would of thunk it? I agree with all of Shea's thoughts.

Yes, Debbie said something about doing Friday night. I wasn't around to kick her when she opened her mouth. Let it be known that I am happy with the dinner the Jamestown Marina folks put together on Friday.

roadtrip se
05-22-2008, 09:08 PM
#3!! But don't plan non boating excursions as the week-days would most likely be the best days for boating. If the event started on a monday or tuesday, with boating in mind, I will be there in '09.

Carl,

People start putting the boats in on Wednesday and run them through Thursday, getting the bugs out. Friday is an organized run to Lee's Ford,
which is a truly excellent way to see the lake, some saw more of it than others this year. 80-100 miles of running and I mean RUNNING.

The only day you would miss would be Saturday and the Fun Run. By then,
I bet we could talk you into staying and having somebody cover the booth.

So come on down.

Donzi Vol
05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
It was fun!:nilly: Seriously though, it was a blast. We didn't get there 'til Friday night, but from that point until we put the boat on the trailer Sunday, I couldn't imagine a better mid-May weekend. (I'm bad with constructive criticism)

As for the auction, it still just blows me away that BlownCrewCab's "beverage" brought more than his rare Donzi photos signed by Brownie. I've got mine framed sitting right next to me. Thanks, Mike!

Carl C
05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Carl,

People start putting the boats in on Wednesday and run them through Thursday, getting the bugs out. Friday is an organized run to Lee's Ford,
which is a truly excellent way to see the lake, some saw more of it than others this year. 80-100 miles of running and I mean RUNNING.

The only day you would miss would be Saturday and the Fun Run. By then,
I bet we could talk you into staying and having somebody cover the booth.

So come on down. My boat doesn't have any bugs. Week-day boating is just the best around here because of the lower traffic and the week-end warriors aren't out and there is less law enforcement for speed and noise limits. I might make it next year anyway but you got my hopes up when you mentioned a week long event.:hyper::nilly:

sweet 16 1966
05-22-2008, 11:03 PM
1.2.-- I like the weekend before Memorial Day.
-- costs are lower
---we can take over the parking lot because it is pre-season.
---weather-- its still fun!
3, -Week long event- come early and enjoy.
4, - Friday food- It only gets better - not a major concern.
5, registration- keep cost down.
6, Auction too long- Group more items together and/or silent on some items.
---Raffel some items- sell tickets
7, August-Likely a smaller local following.
Suggestion- Reserve all boat slips in the front row for a good showing or was this done?
-- Food in general- Pay more for it to be fully catered or ask for extra volunteers to assist.

Todd, all involved did a great job. I had a blast and hope to return. Much work goes into its successs. Thanks to all who worked so hard to make it happen.

Atomic Tan
05-22-2008, 11:30 PM
On behalf of everyone who attended I'd like to thank the organizing committee and everyone who helped out for making the event a huge success once again.

Here's my feedback:

The weekend is perfect for those of us in the north. It jump starts the boating season and the weather has almost always been good. Anything later would interfere with an already hectic boating schedule i.e., memorial day, cig run, 4th,etc,. Also, take into account that the resort books up and boat traffic quadruples after memorial day so we would no longer have the resort to ourselves and we'd get the crap beat out of us. That could be a real problem.

The weekend before memorial weekend is always easy to remember.
Think of the whole week as AOTH week and get there whenever you can. The structured events will be on the weekend.

Fridays dinner doesn't have to be a big deal. Lets keep it simple as everybodys wiped out and thinking about Saturday.

The registration fee is fine and a good value in my opinion. It should continue to reflect the cost of the event. If gas prices continue to rise WE may be the ones looking for a charity.

Truesdales pictures are absolutely awesome. Thanks again!

As for the auction. Yes, it is long and it can get grueling, but you can't pay for better entertaniment than Hot Shot and Fishin Sucks. For those who haven't been, this is an X rated event so leave the kids at home if you don't want to soil their virgin ears. Pairing the small items worked well. A silent auction would be OK but it would kill the bidding wars and we'd probably make less. And finally, if it started any earlier Jefe and I would probably still be bidding ourselves into bankruptcy on the Roadtrip family rugs.

A scaled back rally in August would be cool if it doesn't conflict with other events. Personally, I could see finishing the season with an after Labor day event.

Thanks Again,
Atomic Tan
Carl

gero1
05-23-2008, 03:47 AM
can you fix my boat so it don't run out of fuel??? if you want a longer week just come on down a little earlier. any body can run hard on calm water, but you have to work hard to keep up with sam and the yellow boat (sorry but i forgot your name) in the slop. they are kinda like humming birds...now you see them, now you don't. i am not there for the food, i am there to run my boat with the rest of ya or out of fuel which ever comes first. i think we should do it all over again in about 2 weeks so i can see if you really need to change things

The Hedgehog
05-23-2008, 06:50 AM
I thought that the even was well turned out. Having it before Mem day was fine. I really thought it was cool that we could drag our boats into the parking lot and like being places where we are wanted. I have found that when you schedule trips to places that are busy, folks are less tolerant about group antics.

I don't have to have exotic food between days of boating. I tend to concentrate of beer and meeting people. That being said, I don't mind paying more.

I agree about the auction time. Fishin N Sucks and Co did an amazing job of keeping the crowd entertained. I frankly don't know how they did it for so long. Doing a portion silent would be a great idea.

glashole
05-23-2008, 07:32 AM
I have found that when you schedule trips to places that are busy, folks are less tolerant about group antics.

??????

what are "group antics" and how would that apply to us?? :nilly::bonk::nilly:

I am pretty sure the only people who were upset with us were the 1 bass boat that had to be out early sat morning

and they were just upset with jefe

but Gero1 straightened that out

Dr. Dan
05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
:smash: Shea you weenie... I havent laughed as hard at Todd since he said his boat was Faster than mine.... you are a handful to be sure. Anyway that aside!:drive:

I wouldn't change the Event Date to later... its the opening Season Event... I can tell ya that the 14 hour drive is a committment.... (How 'Bout it Ed), personally I doubt I will attend it each year just due to logistics. I had a great time, I would have preferred a couple of things:

1.) Keep the Registration in the other Room where the Donzi Hardwear was so its convenient to people being able to do two things at once before they head down the stairs.

2.) Have someone that actually knows where they are going at the front of the Lees Ford Run and someone running Sweeper in the Rear other than someone who is broken down....that does not count as a sweeper boat. Maybe stop a few times to allow everyone to regroup and then go on....works good in stopping lost boats.

3.) For the Saturday Event make it painfully clear to morons like me that hey ya better bring food for later - so I don't have to scrounge from the otherwise - Trueser and Jill were lifesavers for Jefe' and I....Thanks For the Snacks!!!

4.) IMO I think the entire Event should cost more, every Event I attend has some sort of Fee, this is the largest attended Event...bar none...and I think to help the Organizers offset the costs either a $100 a head or whatever maybe per couple for the Weekend is more than reasonable(Cover Insurance,Food, Shirts, etc.)

5.) Maybe set aside a definitive area or time to allow the Truesdales to Photograph our boats....that way everyone is covered... same with displaying the photos later on over the weekend, it might be neat to have them have a Photo Area in the Store where I am to also encourage people to come in a purchase Gear and Photos at the same time?

6.) I think Jill & Byrons friends need to have more consideration and schedule their damn Weddings on a different weekend, 2 Weddings in 2 years is asking alot of Byron IMO.

I have other thoughts... but they will have to wait til later... I am still gathering my insights to expound upon.... :thewave:

See some of you in a few weeks in Lake George.

Doc of Lake Cumberland Forced Air Injected Sinus Infections :tase:

The Hedgehog
05-23-2008, 08:23 AM
I have found that when you schedule trips to places that are busy, folks are less tolerant about group antics.

??????

what are "group antics" and how would that apply to us?? :nilly::bonk::nilly:

I am pretty sure the only people who were upset with us were the 1 bass boat that had to be out early sat morning

and they were just upset with jefe

but Gero1 straightened that out

My point was being that the that the timing was great. If it would have been at a time when the resort was full of families they might not have been as tolerant to late night auction antics and loud boats.

As for being offensive, that is something I need to be wary about. The Hedgehog was only at 1/2 speed. At full throttle, now that is a different story:hangum:

roadtrip se
05-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Danny brings up a good point about the lead and sweep boats for Lee's Ford.
No excuses, but unfortunately, we were a victim of circumstances on this one.

Byron, Mick, and I stayed behind to wait on Tamburello, who was a little slow getting out to the start. So we lost a couple of guides right off the start, after everyone took off.

Then Jill, who got a head start on everyone, stopped at the mouth of Fishing Creek, which is the way into Lee's Ford. You guys blew right by her and she second-guessed her navigation skills and followed you bunch of a self-proclaimed Cumberland experts on the way to the east coast.

Lesson learned. While not necessarily establishing a pace boat for Lee's Ford, a couple of "guide" boats should be identified.

As for sweep boats, Byron did this Friday and I did Saturday with the exception of the last leg of the fun run, when a certain teal boat declined to show off his self-proclaimed, blue mercury-driven, superiority to the masses and the vastly inferior, tired, and obviously slower RTSE stepped in for third string duty. Trash talk aside though, sweep boats should be identified.

Keep it coming, the feedback is valuable and appreciated.

tamburello
05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
My only suggestion is to myself. I need to get my rig put together faster and not be late to the milling area. :wink: Thanks to Mick, Todd, and Byron for waiting for me.

No suggestions here, this event seems to get better every year. Dr. Dan's emporium of Donzi goods was very impressive and some new duds kept us warm on the lunch run. Thanks for all your work and for hauling your mobile store to KY.

The Texas BBQ was awesome as usual and we had no complaints with Friday's dinner. My only regret was missing Todd and Jill's bash at their place on Thursday, somehow an 8 hour drive turned into a 12 hour trip. :boggled:

The fun run was a great way to cap off two great days of fun running around Cumberland. :boat: Sarah was amazed that I didn't get lost like the last time. If it wasn't for the relatively straight shot from Grider Hill to the dam, I'm sure that I would've found a way to take a wrong turn and lead the crew astray.

I think the current formula works very well. As they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Thanks to everyone that put their time and efforts into organizing the event!:clap:

- Jeff

FISHIN SUCKS
05-23-2008, 09:56 PM
my $.02 (cause times are tough),

We agree w/atomic (Carl), this is our first outing of the year and we just pull the boat out of the garage and head to KY, then it's our schedule for the rest of the year. This is the coldest we have ever experienced aoth in our 5 years coming, so lets hope this is the worst it ever gets.

Fridays dinner, either Barbi was that liquored-up or she meant it, she loved her burger.....and I couldn't shut up long enough to remember!

Registration I thought was a great value. The Shirts alone are awesome and worth it (not sold in stores!), Thanx again Jeff!

Pictures of your pride and joy are priceless, and when someone is taking the time to shoot and post, how cool and flattering. Thanx to the Truesdale Crew!

Auction.....I feel sorry for the listener's, but thank you very much to those who showed support to Mick and myself. I can understand totally having a shorter time for the auction. If you are anything like me (god forbid), I am more of a 'short-attention-span-theater' kind of person rather than a long '3 1/2 hour drama opera' guy. For those of you who didn't like my nonsense, there may be hope for you yet, I may have to be in Australia for a tradeshow next year that weekend, I still have to get the confirmed dates. I dodged the tradeshow last year, but may be stuck next year.

August and September are tough for us with the kids in school and sports for them as well, but you guys have fun!

Thanx again, Barbi and I think the world of everyone we meet/met (genuinely), and wish all of you a great season and look forward to seeing all of you again soon!

Sincerely, the West's

osur866
05-26-2008, 11:21 PM
This was my first AOTH's and I really don't know how this event has progressed but the only thing I could see to be better was better weather for the run up to Lee's Ford which no one can control and I can see a need for cutting the auction off earlier , I think a few in the restaurnt where getting a little upset along with a few on the house boats :doh:account the noise, but other than that I loved it and had a blast :wink: and look forward to next year, I too would like to thank each and everyone that worked behind the scenes to put this together for those that have never been there was a hell of alot of work that went into this and it seemed to pretty much go off without a hitch so big thanks to the people who organized this :clap::clap: . Oh as far as another in later in the year if dates work I'd be in! Steve

osur866
05-26-2008, 11:43 PM
So in other words I think you should not change much at all!! :cool:

glashole
05-27-2008, 07:05 AM
if anything.........

I would say the auction could use more cow bell

Team Jefe
05-27-2008, 01:08 PM
I know you are all wondering what my opinion is so here goes

perfect weekend don't change the dates
always has and always should be before the long weekend- makes the rooms cheaper as well

anyone wanting to come early just has to book the rooms for earlier in the week
the more people that come early the more people you can have on the extracuricular activities

friday's meal is what it is

barbeque

it takes alot of work to get the big meal for the second night (believe me I watched) and would be even more to have 2 totally different menus for consecutive evenings
the good meal on friday is the lunch- have a bigger one there if you were still hungry
or take an extra hour to get to the restaurant so it is closer to dinner time when you finally eat

charity is always a good thing- but donate before you come
keep the prices to reflect the cost to host the event

the pictures are a good idea
keep in mind it is always tough to keep the Truesdales up to speed - just deal with them being slower and leave screen doors open if you are ahead of them

the length of the auction is directionally proportional to the amount of items on the table
more poeple=more money and auction time

you can never get enough of Tom
my opinion is more prizes and keep him up there longer
(and add more moonshine)
a silent auction is a good idea though
or start the auction a litle earlier if some of you are having a tough time staying up
or get more fog horns

as far as another event
if you want to go to another event in august
go and support the other clubs and see a different lake

Shameless plug.........

with that in mind please note that the Weller's Bay Donzi Club hosts a rally every weekend we are not at another club's event
We also have a 100% attendance rate of all our members if anyone would like to make the trek up to Canada and meet them all

always an open invitation

call first

Shea

Shea, You ARE a weanie....and Kind of a big deal....in your own mind:wink:
I was quite possibly the quietest person at Jametown for the whole rally, and Gero throws me under teh bus with the Sling Blade Guy.....I was absolutely stunned when he showed up. Still, its pretty funny.

if anything.........

I would say the auction could use more cow bell

...As could most thing in life.

Dr. Dan
05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
:smash:Hmmm lets see in the interest of Science...how about next year Jerry & Elizabeth do nothing.... Todd & his Texas Cronies don't smoke any Carcass, Byron stops going to Weddings and doesn't coordinate the Saturday Run, and Fish abandons us and goes to Australia or East of Jesus ...or whatever.... Jeff & Sarah move to Calaifornia and doesn't design the Shirts...Trueser keeps his Big Lens in his "Camera Bag".

Hmmm I wonder how that would change everything... ? Ya know every year I read these things...and everyone always dances around soo much stuff!:lame2:

Fact is that the Real Crew that actually busts their hump to put this on do a great Job and seldom get the credit. So I wanna say Thank You!

Todd & Jill are very generous with their Hospitality and are more than tolerant of drunken BBQ patrons.

Mark Horne is Texas!:spongebob:

Mike and Matt have a gifted eye and are just plain nice guys .... they catch the action within the Event.

Jerry & Elizabeth do a great Job with the Food & Shirts along of course with Jeff's gifted Talents in Design.

Mark & Jefe' & Robert add a Flavor to the Mix that is difficult to describe...

Byron is the resident driving force behind getting a formal activity together that actually involves "Running the Boats".... what a concept. Outside of having consistently one of the best Skunk work Projects each year he keeps the Rooster guessing... and that's the fun part.

Tommy West is second to none at the Auction -

Thank You for caring enough to put so much of your personal time and efforts into actually executing the actions to put it all together... without you all there is no awakening...period.

And I would like to thank Frieda & her Crew for putting up with us...Jamestown I think is what really gets waked....

I had a great time..

Doc
Atlantic Coast Group

Cuda
05-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Let me preface this with the fact I've never been to Aoth, though I've always wanted to go.

It sounds like it's one of the best attended events of the year, as such, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's a lot of people to try to please. Remember, some folks would gripe if you had their nuts in a golden vise.

show-n-go h2o
05-28-2008, 02:01 PM
The dates for this event are perfect. i would definitely come to a second event after labor day, and the lake is really calm after that too. Shea hit the nail on the head with his post.

Team Jefe
05-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Seriously...I ain't gonna lie to ya...with all kidding aside. I fully agree with Doc, I had an absolute blast. and everyone who put their heart and soul into this can not be thanked enough. Of course my contribution is dubious at best...mostly I just flirted with all the girls.

I also agree with Shea. AOTH is just that...if someboby wants a rally in June or December...set it up, I got some cold weather stuff from the Neiman-Johnides and I'm good to go.

txtaz
07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I'd like to se more RUBBER DUCKIES.....:hangum:

Da Taz<----Strikes again:smash: