PDA

View Full Version : Shelby X dimension....

Donziweasel
05-22-2008, 10:06 AM
How much higher than the regular 22 did they raise the X on the Shelby's? What was the WOT difference on the 22?

RickSE
05-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Up 2" and 3-4 MPH. Standard 496HO 22's are in the 76-77 MPH range and I believe the Shelby's were pushing 78-80 MPH.

MOP
05-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Rick have you measured it? I was curious if it was the same as the old Tempest 22's like mine which is 17".

Phil

Pismo
05-22-2008, 03:49 PM
I talked to one of the designers of the Shelby at the Miami show two years ago. It's up 2" which he felt was a hair too much. He thought better to use a 2" shorty and shim it to 1.5" Also keeps the engine lower CG.

chappy
05-22-2008, 04:11 PM
How much higher than the regular 22 did they raise the X on the Shelby's? What was the WOT difference on the 22?

With the Jefferson's song in my head, "Whatcha got your eye on weasy"?:)

harbormaster
05-22-2008, 05:07 PM
The shelby X dimension is 16.5 inches. I know this because I got the specs from a little bird so that I could cut mine the same. The stock X dimension on the current 22's is 14.5. I have heard that early 80's vintage 22's were higher than the current model. Ask FarmerTx about this one (Mark Horn)

MOP
05-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Someone else besides Mark and I have the 17" X, I thought it may have been done on the 300 Tempest and other performance models of that era.

Phil

BigGrizzly
05-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Ask Budman, he was working at the factory at the time of the build of these small block boats boats.

Donziweasel
05-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Hmmm......I found one for a pretty damn good deal, might pull the trigger. Was just wondering how much the x was raised and the performance gains over the stock 22. I am getting a price in supercharging the 496 in it right now. I am tired of underperformning boats at my altitude. Losing 21% of your ponies off the bat is really frustrating. If it does 78-80 at sea level, probably wouldn't hit 70 up here. On the other hand, if I got it to 80 up here, damn, what would it do at sea level?:wink: Might even be able to give those Cigs at AOTH a run!

I know I got 8-9 mph more on my 16 than when I bought it, but there are bow rider family boats that will do 50+ these days. 56 mph is just not fast enough!

Lastly, I need to move up. Western lakes notoriously get rough, and me and my back are not getting any younger. The 16 was a great learning experience and my first Donzi, but I feel the pull of the 22! I just don't think an 18 is big enough. Want some elbow room.

BlownCrewCab
05-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I'll have to say I was Impressed with the ride of the 22. One of the 20 cigs was having a REAL Hard time running next to us at the fun run, and I know he had allot more power than toms smallblock.

RickSE
05-23-2008, 02:51 PM
... If it does 78-80 at sea level, probably wouldn't hit 70 up here...

I'm in the 78-80 range at seal level and can just break 70 @7,000'.

There are two other things you should consider with this boat.

1) The early build Shelby Edition boats did not have external hydraulic steering.

2) Has this boat had the stringer repair done?

Donziweasel
05-23-2008, 03:49 PM
No external hydraulic steering, will have to add. Were the Shelby's prone to the stringer problems? I know the 22's were, but I thought that was only the 502 boats.

Boat is not for sale online, it is a freind of my father in law. Blue w/ matching blue ****pit. I wasn't sure I like the style at first, but I am in Mobile, AL right now and all I can say is that in person, wow! Boat is absolutly beautiful and I love it! I really like the guages, shifter and throttle as well. 52 hours on engine, and meticulously maintained.

Hmmm....have to find a way to get it back to Wyoming, would be nice to have at Powell.

gcarter
05-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Hmmm......I found one for a pretty damn good deal, might pull the trigger. Was just wondering how much the x was raised and the performance gains over the stock 22. I am getting a price in supercharging the 496 in it right now. I am tired of underperformning boats at my altitude. Losing 21% of your ponies off the bat is really frustrating. If it does 78-80 at sea level, probably wouldn't hit 70 up here. On the other hand, if I got it to 80 up here, damn, what would it do at sea level?:wink: Might even be able to give those Cigs at AOTH a run!
I know I got 8-9 mph more on my 16 than when I bought it, but there are bow rider family boats that will do 50+ these days. 56 mph is just not fast enough!
Lastly, I need to move up. Western lakes notoriously get rough, and me and my back are not getting any younger. The 16 was a great learning experience and my first Donzi, but I feel the pull of the 22! I just don't think an 18 is big enough. Want some elbow room.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I knew this was coming.
It was just a matter of time!

MOP
05-23-2008, 09:49 PM
With the Shelby's raised X there was no reason to spread the stringers, the stringers were spread to lower the stock 496's to clear the Merc risers. I think they will not do that one again, anyone who has watched a spread stringer boat knows they should never do that again!!! We watched Sun Tan Carl's boat up at 1K it was plain and out right POOR! Have not heard from him in awhile he was so put out I think he may have sold it! The drives are to deep and it turns a great boat into a hopping pain in the butt!

Phil

Donziweasel
05-24-2008, 08:03 AM
MOP, so in recap, there is no problem with the Shelby stringers? Another member said he saw 3 of them at the factory getting stringers fixed. Anyone know anyone with Shelby I can ask about stringer problems?

George, I think I knew it too, from the first time I put the 16 in the water. I probably knew the 16 would only hang around for a year or two. I have been beat up on the lake too many times in it in rough water.

Damn, Mobile is humid as hell!

roadtrip se
05-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Err, gee I think he just got done running it hard at AOTH.. And well from what I heard...

it ran pretty good, all weekend..

DW, I have lots of info on the Shelby boats, but I am not going to debate it here in public.

If you would like, PM me your numbers and a good time to reach you, and I'll give you a call.

Todd

mjw930
05-24-2008, 09:07 AM
it ran pretty good, all weekend..
DW, I have lots of info on the Shelby boats, but I am not going to debate it here in public.
If you would like, PM me your numbers and a good time to reach you, and I'll give you a call.
Todd

Isn't that what an internet forum is all about, sharing information?

If you have factual information I don't understand why there would be any debate? Some people might not like the facts but they are facts just the same.

Donziweasel
05-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Roadtrip, your scaring me.:eek!::confused:

roadtrip se
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
and some are not.

I am fan of the Shelby and if DW is really considering one, I am offering to help him out with some info and resources to make sure he gets a nice boat.

If there is someone else here that is considering the same move, PM me.

This is also what an internet forum is all about...

I am not getting into a debate on this forum about these boats. Sorry.

Air 22
05-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Up 2" and 3-4 MPH. Standard 496HO 22's are in the 76-77 MPH range and I believe the Shelby's were pushing 78-80 MPH.
A Stock 22C with a 496HO runs 76-77mph where??

yeller
05-24-2008, 11:46 AM
MOP are you positive the stingers weren't moved in the Shelbys. From previous info gathered on this site, it looks as if the stringers were moved along with the inside chines. Looking at my boat, it appears the stringers definately needed to be moved for the 496 with stock X, but I would be surprised that Donzi didn't do it on the Shelbys as well. As far as the cracking issue, as long as the boat's under warranty, Donzi will cover the repair costs without arguement.

DonziWeasel, you'll love the ride of the 22 as compared to the 16. I went from a 16 to 22 and the ride is soooooo much better when the lake kicks up. You'll definately miss the fun factor of the 16 though. For pure childlike giggles, nothing comes close to driving a 16. I liken the 22 to a Corvette and the 16 to a gokart. Even the vette owner would have a really hard time not having fun in a gokart. I had way, way more fun with my 16, but that being said, I'd still take the 22.

And as far as the Shelby's..........I LOVE the look of them. I'm not a purist and think the new interiors are incredible. The side (fuel) fill is where it should be as well. :biggrin:

RickSE
05-24-2008, 01:58 PM
A Stock 22C with a 496HO runs 76-77mph where??

All right 75-77, 75 in Midwest, 77 in Vancouver.:yes:

Easiest way to tell on the stringers is to measure it. If the spread is 28" then it's the same as all the other newer 22's.

gcarter
05-24-2008, 02:23 PM
All right 75-77, 75 in Midwest, 77 in Vancouver.:yes:
Easiest way to tell on the stringers is to measure it. If the spread is 28" then it's the same as all the other newer 22's.
This is correct and apparently it started in the early '90's.
The difference in handling is the lower X on the much newer boats vs the earlier boats w/the same stringer measurement.
Another way to tell the difference w/o measuring is if the engine mounts are mounted on the inside of the stringers rather than the angle mounts located on the outside of the stringers.

MOP
05-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Don I really do not know if the Shelby's did or did not, I have a hunch the stringers are probably the same but the Shelby has to handle better and be faster with the raised X. Poor Atomic Tan was some hurt having just gotten the boat back from the factory, all he could say was the Fxxing just hops. He could tame it with a fair amount of tab, have not heard a peep out of him since that run kind of wonder if he sold it I know he was super unhappy.

MOP
05-24-2008, 05:30 PM
DW I answered your post first! IMO of you have the opportunity to pickup a nice Shelby "LEAP" on it you will not regret it.

Phil

boxy
05-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Don I really do not know if the Shelby's did or did not, I have a hunch the stringers are probably the same but the Shelby has to handle better and be faster with the raised X. Poor Atomic Tan was some hurt having just gotten the boat back from the factory, all he could say was the Fxxing just hops. He could tame it with a fair amount of tab, have not heard a peep out of him since that run kind of wonder if he sold it I know he was super unhappy.

Phil, you've got to ease up on the early bird happy hours.... :D :D
Poodle just told you that Atomic Carl was running his boat at the AOTH.

MOP
05-24-2008, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=boxy;451245]Phil, you've got to ease up on the early bird happy hours.... :D :D

I wish it has been a "Honey Do Day" been out in the yard all day, now last night was a different story favorite watering hole drinking Silver!

Donziweasel
05-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Ran into a problem I would buy the boat even with bad stringers as I know all the 22's with the problem were fixed satifactorily (or somewhat) by Donzi and the hull is still under warranty.

I promised Boo Boo the next boat I get will be a new 26 ft Formula Sunsport Cuddy. She really wants a family boat, something we ca stay overnight on the water in and something to sk and wakeboard behind. Plus, with a new born, on the wester lakes when it gets rough, the cuddy would be nice. She did say I could get the 496HO in it:wink:.

I simply looked at it is replacing the 16, so it did not really count. She was not amused. Don't get me wrong, we are not replacing the Donzi, juts getting a third boat. Going have to take a lot of careful negotiating to get this one through congress and not vetoed by President Boo Boo. I don't have the stones to overide the veteo!

Yeller, I agree completely about the 16 and 18 vs the 22. Hell, my 16, although perfect and much higher horse than a stock one, is still probably only worth 12-15. Hell, might get the Shelby and keep the little bugger as when conditions are right, it is a blast to drive.

I have heard some things about the Shelby that make me a little weary. Bad rigging, stress cracks, poorly put together. It seems the opinion was that some were done very well, some were done very poorly. I did not have the chance to go through the Shelby to really inspect it.

Wonder if Boo Boo would let me put a blower on the Formula?

roadtrip se
05-25-2008, 10:07 AM
The COO and I cruised out to St Clair yesterday to look over a nice 04 370SS with 500EFIs. If we can ever sell this home in Michigan, one of the Classics goes and the Formula search begins in earnest.

I would never cull the herd down to no Donzis...

Still want to talk Shelbys?

Donziweasel
05-26-2008, 06:25 AM
I'll talk Shelby's. I am not airing dirty laundry here, but I amazed at how many people have PM'd me about the quality of the newer classics. I have read some real horror stories. Out of respect, I am not going to name them, but the general consensus seems to be that crappy shoddy work has gone into many of the boats produced in the last 5-7 years. Going to pass on the Shelby, scared I might get a bad one.

mjw930
05-26-2008, 07:36 AM
I'll talk Shelby's. I am not airing dirty laundry here, but I amazed at how many people have PM'd me about the quality of the newer classics. I have read some real horror stories. Out of respect, I am not going to name them, but the general consensus seems to be that crappy shoddy work has gone into many of the boats produced in the last 5-7 years. Going to pass on the Shelby, scared I might get a bad one.

It seems there's a reason people keep quiet about problems on this forum. I haven't quite figured out why but I personally think it does the entire community a disservice to hide documented manufacturing / design flaws.

BTW, this may have already been hashed out but the search engine can't seem to find anything, probably due to the forum software update. It may be old news to the old timers here but us new members looking for information are at a serious disadvantage and it does no one any favors by hiding negative information in PM's.

Donziweasel
05-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Some just said they are currently working with Donzi to resolve thier individual problems and don't feel that it is prudent to throw it out there, especailly if Donzi repairs thier boats satisfactorilly. I due appreciate those of you who PM'd me with the problems you have had regarding the newer 22's and Shelby's. If I had decided to pull the trigger on the Shelby, I would have known exactly what to look for in regards to problem areas due to your help. Thank you very very much. It is nice to know, even if not publically, we look out for each other. I will state that almost everyone says that it is not all of the boats produced, just some of them. Seems about a 40-60 split.

Those of you who did tell me about problems, it sound like Donzi is listening, and although it seems a long process, I really hope you boats are repaired to your satisfaction. Most seem to be making significant headway.

BigGrizzly
05-26-2008, 08:08 AM
DW your problem is the same as mine, you want everything. The 16->18 do handle better then 22Cs under certain conditions. I know this because I have two at home and can dump them in at the same time. My wife calls the 18 my corvette and the 22 our SUV.

Donziweasel
05-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I appreciate the input Griz. The question is, which do you like better? I know Lanier can get a little rough, but growing up in Atlanta and being on Lanier alot, I can never remember it as rough as the western lakes. I do remember that on the weekends Lanier can get a little choppy with all the wakes. Sounds like you have a great calm weekday boat and a nice weekend chop boat. I am envious as I would like to have that kinda of choice.

I can see myself keeping the 16 and having a 22 or Shelby in the next few years. First, have to take care of Boo Boo's needs with her Formula sunsport, which BTW, is a sporty boat in it's own right. -

http://www.formulaboats.com/sunsport/1125836.aspx

Then, I would probably have to sell Alltrans, Inc. or the bronco or the Pinzgauer to finaince the 22.

Griz, I am actually in Atlanta now and heading back to Wyoming tommorrow. I was going to give you a shout next week about some propping. Do you remember where I was at the end of last summer? I had a prop from both you and poodle and can't remember my rpm's and speed on each Turbo. Maybe I will do a thead search and see what I can find.

If I had one more day here, I would come see ya, even if you didn't have time for a ride on Lanier, it would have been nice to meet you in person after all the help you gave me last year.:) I had no idea Eufaula was in Alabama, so that is a possibility at the end of the summer. Do you ever make it to that gathering?

In the end, if I meant to have a Shelby, and I do want one, I am sure I can find another one in a year or two in good condition. There always seems to be one on ebay, boat trader, iboats, etc.... I figure it is worth the xtra money for the style, raised x, etc... Get a blower and I should move pretty nice at my oxygen starved altitude.

BigGrizzly
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
DW Lanier is rougher then it use to be. The truth is I was brought on the eastern shore and spent most of my time in the ocean and Barnagate bay. the truth is our 16 was on fresh water a total of 4 hours, and we have had it since 1966. Lanier isn't the only place I boat. I always go to Eufaula. It is a good time and real Donzi people.
As for where you were last year I know exactly where you were and have the next level of sizes and a BooBoo and baby prop for you too. Give me a shout. BTW I was on the lake all day in the Corsican today, life is good.

Donziweasel
05-26-2008, 08:32 PM
I am really glad you know where I was last year. I think I was playing with a 19 pitch at 4500 rpm, but I can't remember. I think you recommended a 17. Eufaula might be a better option for us than Destin right now, although I would love to do both. Got a spare seat for me and Boo Boo? I'll give you a call later in the week once I get back and get the boat wet. I need a prop one way or another.

I had dinner with my mother and father tonight and we were talking about Lanier. He had a old Chris Craft woody in 1958 at Holiday when he was a kid. Burned 300.00 on fuel one month on my grandfather's account and the boat was sold the next month! He also said that it was in the paper not to run out of any channel this weekend due to stumps. Glad you got the Corsican wet and had a great day. Didn't hit any stumps, did ya?:smash:

If I do go to either Destin or Eufaula, I will probably swing through Atlanta for a couple of days to see mom and dad. Might have to make a run up to Lanier. I remember quite a few 16's and 18's in the late 70's and 80's on Lanier, still a few around? One of my best friend's father had a houseboat up thier (his name was Jack Black and he owned a chain of resturants around Atlanta called the Hickory House and the houseboat was called the "Blackjack") so I spent many a day on ole' Lanier. Also had some freinds who had houses up there as well. I think everyone who lived in Atlanta then knew someone with a house on Lanier.

roadtrip se
05-27-2008, 08:21 AM
I know where a real nice boat is sitting right now.

One of the last to be produced, steering, nice paint, the works with low hours.

But if you have been scared out of the buying mood, I understand.

Easy to have happen here...

BigGrizzly
05-27-2008, 08:56 AM
DW I could arrange a spare seat for Distin and or Eufaula. Maybe a spare boat for Eufaula. Actually you were using a 20 pitch and it would be a tad too small when you got the air leak fixed. In any case I have you covered.