PDA

View Full Version : Prop Selection 27zx 454 Mag

CJmike
05-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Alright as some of you know I bought Hedgehogs 27zx awhile back. Being from the frozen state of MN boating season is finally upon us. Hedgehog can correct me if I am wrong but I think the boat currently has a 23 mirage on it. I seem to be suffering a loss of perfoprmance with this prop. Top end is down since this prop went on and I am suffering from blow outs when cornering. I am pretty new to boating so all this stuff is new to me. Tried to search but came up with liots of conflicting info.

27zx
454mag stock
bravo1
(I think that is correct)

What should I be running for a prop?

mrfixxall
05-20-2008, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=CJmike;450678]Alright as some of you know I bought Hedgehogs 27zx awhile back. Being from the frozen state of MN boating season is finally upon us. Hedgehog can correct me if I am wrong but I think the boat currently has a 23 mirage on it. I seem to be suffering a loss of perfoprmance with this prop. Top end is down since this prop went on and I am suffering from blow outs when cornering. I am pretty new to boating so all this stuff is new to me. Tried to search but came up with liots of conflicting info.

27zx
454mag stock
bravo1
(I think that is correct)

What should I be running for a prop?[/QUOTE

What year is the boat? stepped hull? what rpms are you turning?
try stepping down to a bravo 1 4 blade 22 pitc if your rpms are around 4600-4800

i put a set of mirages on a formula last weekend and the boat hated them,for some reason the mirage dont like stepped hulls..

CJmike
05-20-2008, 10:20 AM
1997 non stepped hull. Not sure on RPM's but seem pretty low.

fasttrucker
05-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Go with a 4-blade bravo-1 or hydromotive.I just happen to have both, if your in md stop by and we can throw it on and test.

The Hedgehog
05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Yes, it is a 23" Mirage Plus. The boat loved that prop before so I don't know what gives. I could throw it around like a ski boat with no blow out. It is probably about 1" too much in pitch. Maybe 2.

The boat also likes a Bravo I but I did not need 4 blades without the blower motor. The 4 blade will handle very nicely but will cost maybe 2-3 mph on top.

How are you trimming it in the turns?

CJmike
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Both times I noticed it I was trimmed up aways. But I didn't think excessively. Maybe I'll have to play with that some. Top speed seems to have gotten even worse now that its up north. Ran into the boat show Donzi on Lake Minnetonka last friday. I promptly got dusted.:boggled:

The Hedgehog
05-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Both times I noticed it I was trimmed up aways. But I didn't think excessively. Maybe I'll have to play with that some. Top speed seems to have gotten even worse now that its up north. Ran into the boat show Donzi on Lake Minnetonka last friday. I promptly got dusted.:boggled:

If you trim in and turn it should not blow out. Heck, it should not blow out if you have it trimmed out moderately

Maybe it is the density of the cold water? I have heard that it makes a difference. I know that it is true for salt water.

That is strange. Are you getting up to operating temp?

You should be seeing similar speeds that you got down in Tn.

I know one surfire way to go fast!

CJmike
05-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Wife threatend to kill me if I mention a supercharger again. :hangum:

I promised her I wouldn't do anything this summer. :wink:

Temps on the motor are running around 160.

The Hedgehog
05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I would definitely enjoy it for the summer. You might be able to do a little better if you can get the revs a little higher. That would mean a bit less pitch. The 23 was just slightly big for the 502. I could get it to around 4,800 with a nice chop. That prop you have can be down pitched to get you there.

I got the whole we don't need to go anyfaster thing too. At least until some mysterious boxes marked ATI started showing up at the marina. Then my wife overheard Tex and I talking about some tranformations that were happening. One day we went out to try out some of the tuning that I had been doing on the boat. She noticed a strange whining sound followed by a surge of speed. Our cruise speed miracously went up to around 55 mph with a top around 70.

The solution for dealing with smaller faster boats in the mean time.....wait til the chop gets to 3 feet or so and then go at it!:eek!: