PDA

View Full Version : What's the scoop for the '08 Hometown Rally?

Jamesbon
05-19-2008, 07:20 PM
At last years Rally in Sarasota, there was a buzz about the 2008 event being held at Lake Lanier. What's the latest?

After doing Lanier last year, I think it would be a great place to host the rally...

Air 22
05-19-2008, 09:43 PM
You better hope there's a place that serves beer...
LOTS of beer :drinkbeer::rofl::drinkbeer:

So thats why u use to frequent the Orange Bowl so much....:beer:....

Cuda
05-19-2008, 10:42 PM
So thats why u use to frequent the Orange Bowl so much....:beer:....
It certainly wasn't to watch a good football team.:hangum:

smokediver
05-20-2008, 06:27 AM
I still think Stuart would be a great place !:yes:

Last Real Texan
05-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Maybe The Emerald coast .....Destin or such.

Tex

mjw930
05-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Am I missing something or doesn't the word Hometown imply Sarasota?

BigGrizzly
05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
The theme may change do to the fact that the hotel is so expensive that Mike barely breaks even, and the fact that people are sooo slow in sending in money that Mike has to front too much and can't afford it. The big sponsors pulled out, Like Mercury and Donzi was late with money. Who knows what will happen.

VetteLT193
05-20-2008, 09:29 AM

... Or 188th St.

Mr X
05-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Here is THEE scoop! :jester:

sweet 16 1966
05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Nice scoop there Mr. X. - Splash time?

Hometown Rally .... Somewhere in Fla!

Mr X
05-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I hope this weekend.

Cuda
05-20-2008, 10:57 PM
My thoughts exactly. We don't have to stay at the Hyatt, which I believe is closed for renovations anyway. There's a Holiday Inn on the water, we used as the overnight stop for our poker runs when I was with the Opba. In my opinion, the motel doesn't even have to be on the water. I don't particularly like leaving my boat in the water overnight anyway, of course, that may be due to the near sinking of my Minx a couple years back. :(

Just a time and a place, we don't even NEED an agenda.

Air 22
05-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I've inquired here....:wink: A run down Gov't cut..all Donzi's...AWSOME..I've only run it a few times..once with Poodle chasing me on MacArthur Causeway:eek!: :nilly: as we passed the cruise ships....:cool:

Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/travel/miabb-miami-marriott-biscayne-bay/

1633 North Bayshore Drive
Miami, Florida 33132 USA
Phone: 1-305-374-3900
Fax: 1-305-536-6411
Sales: 1-305-536-6381 ext. 4136

Hotel Highlights
This hotel has a smoke-free policy
Waterfront luxury hotel on Biscayne Bay in Miami, located minutes from the Port of Miami
580 spacious guest rooms overlooking Biscayne Bay with high-speed Internet, fridge and cable TV
Amenities include Bay View Grille, event space, beauty salon, fitness room, pool and room service
Marriott Rewards category: 5
AAA Diamonds: 3
Mobil Travel Guide Stars: 3
Hotel Information
Check-in and Check-out
Check-in: 04:00pm
Check-out: 12:00pm
Express check-in and Expresscheck-out
Video Review Billing, Video Checkout
Pet Policy
Pets not allowed
Property Information
31 floors, 580 rooms, 21 suites
21 meeting rooms, 17,000 sq ft of total meeting space
2 concierge levels

Services
Complimentary Service
Coffee/tea in-room
Business Services
Copy service
Fax service
Full-service business center
Network/Internet printing
Overnight delivery/pickup
Secretarial service
Guest Services
Cash machine/ATM
Concierge desk
Foreign exchange
Housekeeping service daily
Laundry on-site
Laundry on-site, coin operated
Local restaurant dinner delivery
Newspaper delivered to room
Newspaper in lobby
Room service, 06:00AM-11:00PM
Safe deposit boxes, front desk
Valet dry-cleaning

Features
Guest Facilities
Barber/Beauty shop
Car Rental onsite: Hertz
Vending machines
Shopping & Stores
Gift/newsstand

Accessibility
Service animals allowed for persons with disabilities
There may be a fee for some guest services. Not all features and services are available in all rooms. Contact hotel for details.

harbormaster
05-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Miami would be cool. I have never been there.

Air 22
05-21-2008, 07:40 AM
You just like it cause it's got a beauty salon :) :)
But actually, my thoughts exactly..
Restaurants, bars, pools and docks...
Yes...Johnny RED Revlon.. as Doc of Instigation would say... needs his ammenties...:):)

MikeMiller
05-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Hello gang! Yes, I am alive.

There will be a Rally (although not the Hometown Rally, since it won't be in the hometown!). Same time of year - October 3-5.

I am finalizing details for the Destin/Fort Walton Beach area of Florida! Awesome boating, awesome water, awesome drinks, awesome weather!! Things will be different since most places there do not have docks or a marina, so each evening you'll pull your boats out.

I am hoping to pull some of our friends from Texas, Missouri, and the Midwest to support our venture.

Stay posted for complete details!!!!!!

Mikey

VetteLT193
05-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I've inquired here....:wink: A run down Gov't cut..all Donzi's...AWSOME..I've only run it a few times..once with Poodle chasing me on MacArthur Causeway:eek!: :nilly: as we passed the cruise ships....:cool:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/travel/miabb-miami-marriott-biscayne-bay/
1633 North Bayshore Drive
Miami, Florida 33132 USA
Phone: 1-305-374-3900
Fax: 1-305-536-6411
Sales: 1-305-536-6381 ext. 4136

My wife was assistant controller there, I got married there, and may still be able to get a discount for us there.

If Miami is serious someone please let me know and I'll see what can be done.

With some hard work and a maybe a small miracle I should be able to make this run...

Also, Dates?? is this the one usually in september?

I have a crazy idea... could we push it back and tie it into the Ft. Lauderdale show at the end of October? That would be one heck of a day run...

VetteLT193
05-22-2008, 12:38 PM
There will be a Rally (although not the Hometown Rally, since it won't be in the hometown!). Same time of year - October 3-5.
I am finalizing details for the Destin/Fort Walton Beach area of Florida! Awesome boating, awesome water, awesome drinks, awesome weather!! Things will be different since most places there do not have docks or a marina, so each evening you'll pull your boats out.
I am hoping to pull some of our friends from Texas, Missouri, and the Midwest to support our venture.
Mikey

crap, I just read your post after I posted...

fasttrucker
05-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Iam wondering if anyone will run off in the wrong direction again this year.Since no one knows the area it should be fun!

undertaker
05-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Mikey

Mike glad to see your still alive:nilly::nilly::nilly:

catch 22
05-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Destin!!! Cool!!!

RickyR
05-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Iam wondering if anyone will run off in the wrong direction again this year.Since no one knows the area it should be fun!

I just got a new Garmin 5212 for my boat, so now, I will have the pre-loaded charts in the unit, and I will have everything pre-mapped out before leaving the docks.

But, that still doesn't beat local knowledge (which I thought we had in Tampa Bay). :nilly::nilly::nilly:

We've never been to Destin, so another new place to play sounds pretty good.
I just hope B99 stays around $4/gal by then.:crossfing: (or less :cool:)
Keep us posted.
Thanks, Ricky

BigGrizzly
05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Let me see if I can get the boat thing right this year.

Mr X
05-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Why not in the "hometown" :confused::confused:

Cuda
05-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Valid question.

sweet 16 1966
05-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Love the location! Can't make the date. :mad:

Air 22
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
South Beach...188th.. St..Gov't Cut...Key Biscayne...Biscayne Bay...Stilltsville...Boca Chita..Key Largo...and so on... all say DONZI...:cool::wink: In the beginning anyway...lol:smash:

boxy
05-23-2008, 06:13 AM
As the the throw rug at my Grandma's used to say "Home is Where the Heart Is"...
Or in the case "Where the Guy who Lives and Breathes This Event Decides To Organize It And Invite You Guys to Come And Play"

Sometimes change needs to happen, sometimes events change locations.

Mr X
05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
As the the throw rug at my Grandma's used to say "Home is Where the Heart Is"...
Or in the case "Where the Guy who Lives and Breathes This Event Decides To Organize It And Invite You Guys to Come And Play"
OH! thanks for clearing that up for us!

My question still stands.

Why not the "Hometown"?

Air 22
05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Wow.... wadda brain freeze:eek!::hangum::smash::nilly:

mjw930
05-23-2008, 12:54 PM
OH! thanks for clearing that up for us!
My question still stands.
Why not the "Hometown"?

I'm wondering the same thing too?

mjw930
05-23-2008, 12:55 PM

That begs the question, why?

Last Tango
05-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Destin is hardly a BAD place to have this event.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/destin/archives/events/emcoastpokerrun.htm

That time of year is excellent.

I think the problem with the "same old place" is that:
1. Donzi no longer provides event sponsorship
2. Mercury Marine no longer provide event spopnsorship
3. The last few years the party has gotten smaller and smaller as turnout has dwindled to less than half what it was when it began.
4. In order to play, you have to pay - BIG - at the hotel, and to Mike up front so he can run this event at the Hyatt, there. Lately, folks have badly dragged their heels confirming AND paying up in a timely fashion, leaving Mike hanging financially for big bucks. If you are not capable of fully commiting to these events in attendance and money a measely 4 months out, then don't waste our time with your wait-and-see attitudes. (Sorry, political moment there).
5. Same distance for me either way. I'd rather do it with Donzi people than the Destin Poker Run crowd. New scenery and restautrants, and some of the most beautiful beaches on the Florida coastline.
6. People at the "hometown" complain every year that we go to the same restaurants by water, and that Tampa Bay is too rough for their boat (wimps). So Mike is looking to please those complainers by finding yet another paradise for us to enjoy.
6. Grow up - change is good.
7. There will ALWAYS be college football games that interfere. How long ago did you graduate (I mean actually GRADUATE) from that place?

Signed,
I'll be there.

VetteLT193
05-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I'd also like to add that we're throwing the dice when it comes to weather in Destin that late in the year. It could be perfect, or it could be freezing cold. There is a reason why the rates are so low.

onesubdrvr
05-23-2008, 04:15 PM
MY OPINION (which doesn't count for much granted)

STUART.

There is so much boating for everything from 16's to 45's, and there is no problem (again in my opinion) for breaking into groups. The 16's, 18's and 22's can run the inside, 22's and bigger out the outside. In the river (north of Stuart) no idle zones. Then you have the "Ditch" to Indiantown, good for speed runs, beautiful scenery, 30+ miles of GLASS to run on. Meet back in Stuart or where-ever.

Now, I probably can't go, and am boatless, so my opinion shouldn't matter a rats stinky nugget, I had a great time when I went over in '06 to Sota, and no matter where I went, I would have a good time.

Either way, I hope everyone had fun in '07, and I hope I can make it in '08

Wayne

Mr X
05-23-2008, 04:37 PM

Pertty sure I AM grown up. :cool:

There are several resturants that are south of Tampa Bay that have ample docking and
great food, that the hometown rally has never tried. Many hotels too for that matter.

I agree that Tampa bay is awefull and should never be included in the the rally,
there are countless places to run that are south of the bay.

Let me rephrase my question.

MIKE MILLER, why not the hometown?

Mr X
05-23-2008, 04:50 PM
LMAO, looking at all your toys I'm not sure about that...
err, wait, am I talking about you or about myself? :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly:
Damn! Wish I could come up with even one good argument to that one! :boggled:

Air 22
05-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Destin is hardly a BAD place to have this event.
http://www.tripsmarter.com/destin/archives/events/emcoastpokerrun.htm
That time of year is excellent.
I think the problem with the "same old place" is that:
1. Donzi no longer provides event sponsorship
2. Mercury Marine no longer provide event spopnsorship
3. The last few years the party has gotten smaller and smaller as turnout has dwindled to less than half what it was when it began.
4. In order to play, you have to pay - BIG - at the hotel, and to Mike up front so he can run this event at the Hyatt, there. Lately, folks have badly dragged their heels confirming AND paying up in a timely fashion, leaving Mike hanging financially for big bucks. If you are not capable of fully commiting to these events in attendance and money a measely 4 months out, then don't waste our time with your wait-and-see attitudes. (Sorry, political moment there).
5. Same distance for me either way. I'd rather do it with Donzi people than the Destin Poker Run crowd. New scenery and restautrants, and some of the most beautiful beaches on the Florida coastline.
6. People at the "hometown" complain every year that we go to the same restaurants by water, and that Tampa Bay is too rough for their boat (wimps). So Mike is looking to please those complainers by finding yet another paradise for us to enjoy.
7. There will ALWAYS be college football games that interfere. How long ago did you graduate (I mean actually GRADUATE) from that place?
Signed,
I'll be there.

Donzi didn't sponsor last year or the year b4? Either did Mercury? But the event went on anyway.:rolleyes:..Mike doesn't have to foot the bill..leave up to each participant to make their own reservations wherever and whenever they want...if they wait to long or have to cancell then no big deal. People have busy lives and and in the latest economic road-blocks may not be able to plan or committ that far out...my god its a BOATING event not the G8 Summitt etc..:nilly:

To tell people publicly to grow up on the board is quite frankly pompus and arrogant considering the company you are in...

Since when is does graduating have ANYTHING to do with going to football games??..:bonk: Last I checked ALUMNI and many others are FANS.....its called LOYALTY, DEDICATION and RESPECT.

NEXT.....:cool:

Cuda
05-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Donzi didn't sponsor last year or the year b4? Either did Mercury? But the event went on anyway.:rolleyes:..Mike doesn't have to foot the bill..leave up to each participant to make their own reservations wherever and whenever they want...if they wait to long or have to cancell then no big deal. People have busy lives and and in the latest economic road-blocks may not be able to plan or committ that far out...my god its a BOATING event not the G8 Summitt etc..:nilly:
To tell people publicly to grow up on the board is quite frankly pompus and arrogant considering the company you are in...
Since when is does graduating have ANYTHING to do with going to football games??..:bonk: Last I checked ALUMNI and many others are FANS.....its called LOYALTY, DEDICATION and RESPECT.

Well said, and as far as I know, neither Donzi or Merc Marine is sponsoring the event in Destin either.

That being said, Destin has some of the prettiest water in Florida. My dad was stationed twice in PC. I remember when Destin was just a small fishing town, with maybe a dozen shrimpers there, and a couple charter boats. There was absolutely nothing between PC Beach, and Ft Walton. We'd camp right on the beach.

mjw930
05-24-2008, 09:15 AM

It's a shame Donzi doesn't at least make a cursory effort to host their boat owners at least once a year. I guess us "small" boat owners don't have deep enough pockets to warrant the wining and dining they lavish on the poker run crowd. :smash:

boxy
05-24-2008, 11:08 AM
It's a shame Donzi doesn't at least make a cursory effort to host their boat owners at least once a year. I guess us "small" boat owners don't have deep enough pockets to warrant the wining and dining they lavish on the poker run crowd. :smash:
I don't think it's a little boat, big boat thing, I think it is pretty even across the board
I have run 3 Poker Runs with factory supported boats, and the only hospitality I've ever seen has come from Bob and Frank at Typhoon.....

mjw930
05-24-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't think it's a little boat, big boat thing, I think it is pretty even across the board
I have run 3 Poker Runs with factory supported boats, and the only hospitality I've ever seen has come from Bob and Frank at Typhoon.....

Then I stand corrected. I guess I'm used to dealing with smaller, custom builders.

What kind of turnout with what kind of boat mix are we talking about for this event? That may have a lot to do with it.

boxy
05-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Then I stand corrected. I guess I'm used to dealing with smaller, custom builders.

What kind of turnout with what kind of boat mix are we talking about for this event? That may have a lot to do with it.
Last year at the 1000 Islands Poker Run there were more Donzi's than anything else. The 2 largest East Coast dealers, at the time, were there. If memory serves me there was 1 43ZR, 2 38ZRC's, 4 38 ZR's, 2 35 ZR's, 1 33 ZX, and 1 28 ZXO. I'm sure I've missed some boats that were also in the run. In the area that day there was also at least 2 more ZR's ( a 38 and a 35), 2 more 33 ZX's, a 28 ZX, a 26 ZX, a DeckBoat, and at least 3 or 4 Classics.
Donzi represented at least 10% of the paid boats into what POWERBOAT Magazine named it's #1 Poker Run in North America.
If they aren't showing up there, they aren't showing up anywhere.
A while ago there was a bunch of noise about Donzi running a ZRC on the Poker Run circuit this summer, I hope it happens, they have had a free ride for too long on the backs of their Dealers, and the grass roots clubs that keep the fires burning.

Mr X
05-24-2008, 09:45 PM
A while ago there was a bunch of noise about Donzi running a ZRC on the Poker Run circuit this summer, I hope it happens, they have had a free ride for too long on the backs of their Dealers, and the grass roots clubs that keep the fires burning.

It is happining, I have seen it! The most radical 38ZRC ever made!! Unbelievble color scheme.
First Donzi Factory poker run boat in a couple years.
Kudos to everyone at Donzi for this one!!!
Stay tuned gang!! You won't be dissapointed.!! :eek!:

mjw930
05-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Last year at the 1000 Islands Poker Run <snip>.

I was asking what the past turnouts had been for the hometown rally......

boxy
05-25-2008, 06:23 AM
It is happining, I have seen it! The most radical 38ZRC ever made!! Unbelievble color scheme.
First Donzi Factory poker run boat in a couple years.
Kudos to everyone at Donzi for this one!!!
Stay tuned gang!! You won't be dissapointed.!! :eek!:
That's great news Ted. Is it the blue 700Sci boat? I remember seeing some pics awhile ago.
If they make it North there will be 2 Donzi ZRC company boats at the run. One ex-boat, and one new one. The white and red 575 boat (TomA on the board) and the new one.

boxy
05-25-2008, 06:31 AM
I was asking what the past turnouts had been for the hometown rally......
Ohhhh, Sorry, your original question quoted my thoughts on Poker Runs.

I'm sure some of the regular attendees can give you a complete description, but I'm pretty sure there is usually a great spectrum of Donzi product at the Hometown Rally.... lots of Classics, (both big C classics, and little c classics) ZX's, ZR's, ZF's and the occasional ZRC.

Mr X
05-25-2008, 06:50 AM
That's great news Ted. Is it the blue 700Sci boat? I remember seeing some pics awhile ago.
If they make it North there will be 2 Donzi ZRC company boats at the run. One ex-boat, and one new one. The white and red 575 boat (TomA on the board) and the new one.
No, not that boat. You have never seen this one before!!!

Donziweasel
05-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Boo Boo and I would come to Destin in a hearbeat for a rally. We got married at Seaside, not far from there. They call that area the Emerald Coast and there is a reason why, it has some of the most beautiful water in all of Florida. Just google it to see what I mean.

October would be fine there. We got married Oct 26 and the water was warm, and it was 85 degrees. The culture of the panhandle mixed with the deep south is amazing. I could not think of a better place to have a gathering. It is a very laid back area. With many marinas and bars with dock on the water. Get a little away from Destin and you won't see anyone. Kinda the best of both worlds.

If you decide on this, count us in, simply because we can visit family in Mobile. Elsewhere will be difficult. We would fly and boatless, but maybe someone will have a seat for us. Definetly count us in for Destin if it is decided to be there. Well, just our 2 cents. Change is good!:):):)

smokediver
05-25-2008, 04:54 PM
i am one of the wimpy dudes that doesn't want to get pounded in tampa bay again !!! Destin sounds cool , i have never been there ... Stuart really is a great place !!! Nice bay and rivers ... Many places to go it seemed ... Where it may be but PLEASE not a place where we are going to get beat up !!!

Cuda
05-26-2008, 07:04 AM
i am one of the wimpy dudes that doesn't want to get pounded in tampa bay again !!! Destin sounds cool , i have never been there ... Stuart really is a great place !!! Nice bay and rivers ... Many places to go it seemed ... Where it may be but PLEASE not a place where we are going to get beat up !!!
That's a pretty big bay up there too, but I don't think it gets as rough as Tampa Bay, which after boating on Tampa Bay for thirty plus years, I can tell you it can get REAL rough!

Air 22
05-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Dwight is going to like it :) :)

When I park on your sprinklers....:cool: and Heidi gives me another Coconut Palm for my collection...lol:nilly::nilly:

BigGrizzly
05-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Smokediver at least you show up, moat of the people commenting talk but don't come. I have been to all but one(because of sickness). I have watched numbers dwindle. Last year there were sponsors, but private ones, without them the event could not be held. Another thing,when it is announced it takes for ever for the folks to get their money in to Mike. Last year It cost me over $1000 to attend and that is without a boat. The Hotel is expensive! All Mike does is work the event,he has a little fun but mostly work. It is a Mike Miller event and that is it. If you guys want an event at the forenamed places try to set one up, it is real work. It took over 6 people to set up the Cumberland event. I worked for American Honda inc. and can tell you how hard it is to set up a dealer meeting. We set up an Marine dealer meeting in Boca Ratoon,sp, and it cost over 1,000,000 for 800 dealers, but only 25% wanted to come. If Mike wants to have it in a swamp, it is his deal and I will go if I can. Remember the event that started this one was the owners at Universal Studios and was the Owners rally. The final lightning bolt of logic is, How many have been to the Eufaula event, how many have been to Lake George event, how many have been to Lake Cumberland event? the real kicker is how many have been to more then two in the same year. My count is less then ten of us. However everyone has a comment or suggestion where to have it. Both Eufaula and Lake George were around before the owners Rally. Now I am done venting.

Donzi Racer
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM

Mikey

Mikey, You pick it and we will follow. Destin would hopefully get some new blood which it seems would be great. I can finally say I have now been to 4 different Donzi events and as all say, the Donzi Family is Great. We enjoy them all. Miami would be a great place for another event. Poodle you arrange it and we will be there. Long drive for anyone not in Florida. The Destin thing seems great. Lets get lots of new attendees from miss. ala. ga. ky. tn. tx. la. ok. in. & il. Hell lets get everybody to come. We'll own Destin. Let's buy a dang Gas Station before we get there though.

Tom

VetteLT193
05-27-2008, 07:23 AM
... We got married Oct 26 and the water was warm, and it was 85 degrees. ....

I live in the area and even own a condo in Panama City Beach. Those temperatures are unusually high. Yes, it could be like that but if it is average temperature the water will be cold and the weather will be too. Sweatshirts in the morning and evening for sure. The season ends mid September in this area. If for some reason it's unusually cold, we'll be freezing all weekend. If it's unusually warm it will be awesome. I'm just saying it's hit or miss at this time of the year.

Smokediver at least you show up, moat of the people commenting talk but don't come. I have been to all but one(because of sickness). I have watched numbers dwindle. Last year there were sponsors, but private ones, without them the event could not be held. Another thing,when it is announced it takes for ever for the folks to get their money in to Mike. Last year It cost me over $1000 to attend and that is without a boat. The Hotel is expensive! All Mike does is work the event,he has a little fun but mostly work. It is a Mike Miller event and that is it. If you guys want an event at the forenamed places try to set one up, it is real work. It took over 6 people to set up the Cumberland event. I worked for American Honda inc. and can tell you how hard it is to set up a dealer meeting. We set up an Marine dealer meeting in Boca Ratoon,sp, and it cost over 1,000,000 for 800 dealers, but only 25% wanted to come. If Mike wants to have it in a swamp, it is his deal and I will go if I can. Remember the event that started this one was the owners at Universal Studios and was the Owners rally. The final lightning bolt of logic is, How many have been to the Eufaula event, how many have been to Lake George event, how many have been to Lake Cumberland event? the real kicker is how many have been to more then two in the same year. My count is less then ten of us. However everyone has a comment or suggestion where to have it. Both Eufaula and Lake George were around before the owners Rally. Now I am done venting.

I've been honestly trying to go to one of these events and between my brother's boat and mine something always seems to happen. I will get to one, and I thought this one would be perfect.

But, even in a perfect world with no boat problems I doubt I would have gone to this even last year after refreshing my memory on pricing. Last year was $180 per person + boat gas + vehicle gas + hotel ++. That puts it at an easy $1,000 for 2 people.

I'd rather it be less money and include less because it is a lot easier to commit to. If it were $50 per person for the basics it's an easy pill to swallow... If something happens I would only be out $100 (me and my wife).

The bottom line is I'm only 2 hours from Destin and if the registration is like it was last year I'll probably be watching FSU vs. UM on Saturday.

MikeMiller
05-27-2008, 09:35 AM
WOW! What great banter! Such passion!!!!!

Mr. X: Donzi Marine has indeed kindly sponsored the event every year we have had the Hometown Rally (as some have said they have not). Sponsor levels, though, have decreased and they usually give me an affirmative a week or so before the event! Mercury Marine and all other sponsors have not done a thing for years! On top of that the hotel costs, food costs, and so on have increased. I hate asking $180 per person, but even with that there is no profit in me doing this.

For the past 2 years we have had the honor of private sponsorships from Donzi owners. Their graciousness and passion are incredible, and we all need to thank them for helping us keep the dream alive.

I decided to move our little soiree to Destin because I think it needed a shot in the arm after 8 years at the same place. As you can see from the comments on this post, there are many opinions about the Tampa Bay boating scene that I had to try to take into account every year. I wish I could make everyone happy - man, I try!!!

As far as restaurants and marinas in Sarasota - yes there are many we have not gone too, but please refer to my comment in the paragraph above. Everyone has an opinion. When you have 150 people and upwards of 30 boats, the choices of where to go and dock, and places to leave the boats overnight with parking and security become less and less.

Destin should be remarkable! Yes, the weather can be dicey - a lot of places are. But I have been to events elsewhere when Donzi owners came out in groves and the weather sucked!

I am trying to keep this alive so we can enjoy our love of boating, our friendships (actually, my friendships), and a place where families can still take pleasure away from work and video games!

I'll keep doing it until you guys tell me to stop! I appreciate all the help offered and I guarantee I will take some of you up on it.

Now let's just get MadPoodle there!!!!!!

BigGrizzly
05-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Like I said that event was expensive for Mike and us too hence the change. Now as for coming you don't know what your missing. I can say this there are no free lunches anymore. I am not trying to beat you up, but that is the attitude that makes the numbers dwindle. There is a word that makes the events affordable it is called "saving". You don't need that second beer or in Lenny's case that 10th one:wink:. Poodle is a great canes fan and has season seats. Every year That he doesn't come he kicks him self . One year he came up FOR THE DAY. remember life goes around once! I know I have been up close and personal with that fact! The choice is yours. If you plan on not going because of the $$ then hold one yourself and make it cheap for all of us, if you can. The Donzi clan is a family and events are an orchestrated reunion. With out Mike there would be no rally, without Forrest there would not be a Eufaula event without Scott Pearson there would not be a Lake George dust off, without Bolts Road trip, Byron, Jerry Elisabeth there would be no Cumberland AOTH. Without all of us attending there would not be any events! So stop complaining:wink: and get a second job.

VetteLT193
05-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Like I said that event was expensive for Mike and us too hence the change. Now as for coming you don't know what your missing. I can say this there are no free lunches anymore. I am not trying to beat you up, but that is the attitude that makes the numbers dwindle. There is a word that makes the events affordable it is called "saving". You don't need that second beer or in Lenny's case that 10th one:wink:. Poodle is a great canes fan and has season seats. Every year That he doesn't come he kicks him self . One year he came up FOR THE DAY. remember life goes around once! I know I have been up close and personal with that fact! The choice is yours. If you plan on not going because of the $$ then hold one yourself and make it cheap for all of us, if you can. The Donzi clan is a family and events are an orchestrated reunion. With out Mike there would be no rally, without Forrest there would not be a Eufaula event without Scott Pearson there would not be a Lake George dust off, without Bolts Road trip, Byron, Jerry Elisabeth there would be no Cumberland AOTH. Without all of us attending there would not be any events! So stop complaining:wink: and get a second job.

My second job is working on my Donzi:) My post was more intended to be a suggestion because it's hard to get people to sign up and pay. I REALLY want to go. Dump 2 out of the 3 meals (or even all 3) and some of the goodies to drop the price. We'll pay for it anyway while out there, but it will probably be easier for Mike to get the checks in hand.

It's also easier to sell the wife on a lower up front cost, even if the end result is the same.

With that said my complaining is done. I'll turn my positive attitude on and sell the idea to the wife :crossfing:

Air 22
05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
So there we have it...DONZI did sponsor the event last year and previous years...I stand corrected:nilly:

I guess the term SPONSOR and the amount of Sponsorship is the real question??...:eek!: For all YOU do Mike and all that the owners attend do....its a shame the level of FACTORY contribution isn't more...Like many things sometimes...If ya want it done right...do it yourself...LOL

I've been to many of the events up and down the East Coast..N.H. , N.Y. to FL...The Owners Rally is a highlight and wind down of the boating season for most of up North. We always look fwd to a great event each fall and hope this year is no different...wherever it may be...:wink::cool:

Donzi Josh
05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey gang,

Here’s my take:

Mike Miller has done an outstanding job of putting on an event that you all enjoy. He continues to organize this annual event because it’s something he loves to do, and likewise, you look forward to attending. Each and every year, Donzi has provided the sponsorship that Mike asks– without trying to take it over and turn it into a factory-direct sale. It must be said that a Donzi corporate event could possibly have a largely different look, feel, and focus than the format you’ve all come to love and enjoy. First and foremost, Mike Miller throws a helluva party and we’ve respected that enough to not crash it or try to reinvent the wheel.

As I have already communicated to Mike, we’re looking forward to once again contributing to this year’s event wherever it may be held– we’ve never declined to sponsor his rally nor has our level of support diminished from prior years.

Having done the Emerald Coast Poker Run for several years, I can tell you that even though I’m on the water probably 30 weekends a year here on our hometown waters, the Destin area is one of my favorite places to go boating! Should be a great time for everyone.

Josh

Team Jefe
05-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Mikey - you say the word and we are there. With this being close to the Texas Rally, it's been hard to make the committment with flying in and all in the past, but a Destin run is an easy pull for us and I already have a few more Owners in this area looking to make the trip.

Josh - its good to hear your committment of support. These are really fun rally's.... in Destin, 'sota, 188th or outer Mongolia....If there are Donzifiles in a group (especially with Mike at the helm) we WILL have a good time.

I am planning to be there with the Revenge....DW & Boo Boo or anyone else who doesn't mind riding a Fish Boat are welcomed to come along....Ladies just remember your RED BIKINIS:hyper:

And Like I said on the othetr thread.....Destin is HOME for Jefe's Revenge. She was the Dealer Demo boat there for a few years. I had lunch at AJ's the day we made the deal.