PDA

View Full Version : X-Dimension on a Hornet II anyone?

twofiftyeight
05-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey guys...quick question...a few of you may have seen my other thread on the Hornet restoration...Well the cap is off, transom has been completed and the boat is just about ready for paint (pictures will be up soon)...My question is in regards to the X-dimension on this boat..Originally had a TRS drive, we're dropping in a 454 with a bravo one behind it...Seeing as how the boat didn't come with the original drive intact, i really don't have a starting point. The transom is blank right now and we'd like to have the transom cut-out and engine test fit before the boat is painted...Can anyone help me out with this figure? And also how much would a shop charge to do a transom cutout?...and also maybe install the mounts and align everything? It should be really easy and straight forward with the cap off...

Thanks in advance

MOP
05-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Mu opinion you may have some lee way, meaning stock Bravo's run 14-1/2" to 15-1/2". My 22 and a few others are at 17", if it were my boat I would do some careful measuring from the crank shaft center to the top of the risers, that will give you an idea of how high you might want to go. You need to clear the hatch with the risers, you may have similar room to what a 22 has that would IMO be a plus. There is a reasonable amount of speed difference between a boat setup a 14-1/2" and one that are setup higher, could be a few miles an hour.

Phil

BlownCrewCab
05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I would go for the higher X Dim like MOP said. Theres good speed and performance to be had there. And if by chance it's a Lil too high, spacers are available to go back down.

MOP
05-19-2008, 08:47 PM
You can make a crude jig to get a decent crank shaft measurement, you would need two pieces of 2X4 one long enough to sit on top of the risers. The second piece need to be long enough to go a few inches past the front and rear of the engine, tack them together in a X. You will need an extra hand or two, take two tape measures both with the tips held on the crank centers. Measure up to the 2X4's, you will have to rock the 2X4's a little until you get the same measurement front and back. Then add or subtract the 2X4's thickness dimension depending on which way you tacked them together, that will get you a very close height measurement to see where it has to be to clear the risers. That should keep you from having to mod the hatch.

Phil