PDA

View Full Version : AQ280 w/DPX Lower

TXDONZI
05-19-2008, 03:16 PM
I had someone tell me that a DPX lower unit will bolt to a AQ280T upper unit. Attached are a few pictures of the Older style DPX unit. Does anyone know if this is true or not? This is what they said "the spline is the same; it will bolt on the gearcase is not as deep into the water as other units" has anyone ever tried this?

MOP
05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I have a hunch NO! By the time that unit came out there was to much Volvo/OMC melding!

mrfixxall
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
The dp lower will but the dpx might not fit their a little wider where it bolts together,,if it were my boat i would get yourself a dpx transm assembly,that way you will have hydrolic steering..check with biggunsmarine,com.. I know they had one forsale..

Forrest
05-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Though they look like it might be fit, but I wouldn't try it. The DPX upper has integrated hydraulic steering the you would want to be without, and if the DPX lower did actually mate with the AQ upper, you would probably have bear of a time getting the proper shimming for the lower's input-shaft preload. Like MrFix said, it looks like you are almost there for a complete DPX setup. Look around and find youself a DPX transom shield and steering rams and you'll be ready to make the converion to a full DPX system. BTW, what gear ratio is that DPX?

Greg K
05-19-2008, 05:28 PM
There is a conversion for a 280 to a duoprop, but not what you are suggesting. Link to conversion http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/cobraconversion.htm#280290

TXDONZI
05-19-2008, 08:49 PM
I do not have any of the items I posted pictures of all of them were eBay items I have looked at. The one listen right now is 1.59 the guy emailed me back saying it would work. I have never seen it done here so I figured it was to good to be true. I already knew about the older AQ/DP conversion. I was just checking out the DPX lower. Nix that idea! So which DPX unit.....the DPX or DPX-A to convert the AQ280T is the easiest and best way to go?

Tt

mrfixxall
05-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I do not have any of the items I posted pictures of all of them were eBay items I have looked at. The one listen right now is 1.59 the guy emailed me back saying it would work. I have never seen it done here so I figured it was to good to be true. I already knew about the older AQ/DP conversion. I was just checking out the DPX lower. Nix that idea! So which DPX unit.....the DPX or DPX-A to convert the AQ280T is the easiest and best way to go?

Tt

None of the dpx will work,you have to use a regular dp lower to get it to work..

this style will bolt up to what you have http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO-PENTA-DP-LOWER-UNIT-290-DUO-PROP-UPPER-UNIT-280_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ124104QQihZ025QQite mZ380027624234QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW but you need the proper coupler and the two halves have to be shimmer properly..you can call french creek marine ans ask for wilbert, hes done a handful of them 315-686-3621

TXDONZI
05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear. Meant using the complete unit transome shield and all. I was fully aware of the AQ/DP conversion setup already. I was just looking at other ways to do it. I read about what Forest did on his Magnum and liked that idea.

mrfixxall
05-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear. Meant using the complete unit transome shield and all. I was fully aware of the AQ/DP conversion setup already. I was just looking at other ways to do it. I read about what Forest did on his Magnum and liked that idea.

the cheepest way to go is to convert to a dp lower, if you want to go with the dpx you will need the following, outter transm assembly,inner transm housing,new coupler,bellhousing, power steering pump,hydrolicsteering helm and steering hoses,and possibly shift cable assembly..I toyed the idea around and after adding 7500.00 up i killed the idea ans went with merc stuff..

Forrest
05-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Here are a couple of DPX shots during installation and after . . .