PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 'soft' rebuild kit

VetteLT193
05-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Is there a soft / mild rebuild kit available for the alpha drives? I'd like to go through my drive and replace all the seals, hoses, bellows, and the U-joint. It would be really nice to get everything in one box so I know I have everything.

It shifts fine, etc. but I can see cracking in one of the hoses and I need to pull it anyway so I just want to do all the basics while it is off the boat.

VetteLT193
05-19-2008, 09:26 AM
and along the same lines, does anyone have a preference regarding the alignment tool? I'm looking at this one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-MERCRUISER-BRAVO-ENGINE-ALIGNMENT-TOOL-OMC-INSTR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26455QQihZ018QQit emZ280228472834QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

MOP
05-19-2008, 10:04 AM
That is the right tool, doing a soft rebuild take several special tools. May slow you down a bit, also some parts can be damaged not using them.

Phil

VetteLT193
05-19-2008, 12:16 PM
That is the right tool, doing a soft rebuild take several special tools. May slow you down a bit, also some parts can be damaged not using them.
Phil

Do you know what I need off the top of your head?

VetteLT193
05-20-2008, 09:50 AM
U-joint is not included in the transom seal kit, but the gimbal bearing is.. As is the exhaust bellows that your already purchased.. :doh:
If ya need pricing on it let me know please. Need year of drive also....

As far as I know it's the original drive, so '87/'88.

My drive doesn't have exhaust bellows. is it required for some reason? The water hose is visibly cracking for sure. I am also missing a seal somewhere because I noticed drive oil on the driveway this morning. I probably screwed it up when I checked the impeller.

VetteLT193
05-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Oh, and if I'm in there I'm doing the gimbal bearing and U-joint. I don't think either have a cost that is high enough to warrant taking the drive off again.

Cuda
05-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Oh, and if I'm in there I'm doing the gimbal bearing and U-joint. I don't think either have a cost that is high enough to warrant taking the drive off again.
It's not hard at all to remove an Alpha, just take the rams loose, and then six bolts, and it will slide right out. That's why many Alpha's get stolen.

I've got one sitting on my work bench with maybe 15 hours on it. It has a nosecone, and low water pick up, if you're interested. It was originally a 1987, I know this because 1987 was the only year Merc mated an Alpha to a big block, and the sticker on the drive said "454 Magnum", even though it was a 330 horse 454. I had my drive mechanic go through it, before I put it on a boat that I had swapped engines in, his word were, "The gears look liked they have never been used". Jim Bryde at Bryde's Marine in St Pete went through it. I'm glad he did, because it didn't have a water impeller in it. I guess the boat the drive came from had a Bravo style water pump.

Cuda
05-20-2008, 11:09 PM
The u-joint was around $100, and the gimbal bearing was about $50 as I recall, when I had the drive on the Minx gone through.

joseph m. hahnl
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
$80.00 for alpha kit.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/

Bellows glue and the gimble oil seal don't come in the kit.
The exhaust bellows needs to be stretched with Merc tool
Shift cable and or trim limit and trim indicator may want to be replaced.

gimble puller can be easily manufactured using 5/8 threaded rod
4 reg nuts one union nut and 3/4 washers, 5lb cast iron bench press weight with reduced center for pulling plate.

To remove the upper trim switch retaining bolt.
Use 5/16 threaded rod and pean a 1/4 square on end for 7/16 socket.
rod must be bent 90 degrees and then trick bent down, out, down to
get by gimble center.

Hope this helps

Cuda
05-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I remember now that me and my dad made a long socket. We took a socket, and welded it to a piece of galvanized pipe, and I can't remember what we used on the drive end. I'm pretty sure I still have in in my tool box if you want to use it. I also have a tube of bellows glue that has never been opened.

VetteLT193
05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
I think I'm lost on the exhaust bellows... I'm guessing I think it's a different part that it actually is. Does someone have a picture?

joseph m. hahnl
05-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I think I'm lost on the exhaust bellows... I'm guessing I think it's a different part that it actually is. Does someone have a picture?36189

#19 is the exhaust bellows.

they make one for the 454 which i believe is just a capoff for the lower unit. That bellows is glue and clamp you don't need to stretch it