PDA

View Full Version : Al Copeland passed away

Barry Eller
05-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Al Copeland, Popeyes Chicken Raceboat owner died back in March. I read the article in my PowerBoat Magazine.

Here is a story from The New Orleans newspaper.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/al_copeland_dies_in_germany.html

Ed Donnelly
05-19-2008, 08:16 AM
His christmas display was a sight to see..
It was the first of several must see things when I visited my parents
every year.. The neighbors big beef was it sometimes took them an hour to get home, once they were on their own street .....Ed

wrussellw
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
He had all his toys at the cemetry, boats,cars and motorcycles. Interesting guy definitely had some angry management issues, seriously hated to lose at anything.

Barry Eller
05-20-2008, 07:57 AM
He had a condo in Destin, kept several boats and yachts there. My wife took this photo, with her cell phone, of one of his boats at a restaurant dock in Destin harbor.

wrussellw
05-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Barry I had a condo in the same compex. there was never any question if Al was on the property or not.
we had a lot of mutual friends and family members that worked together.
he truly was an unique individual.
One weekend they were trying to navigate the Cajun Princess a little to close to the Condo and ran aground hard. My daughter and I learned some new adjectives that day.

wrussellw
05-20-2008, 08:44 AM
I believe your picture is of his boat that caught fire and sank in Lake Pontchartrain. I was sailing when it burned. pretty impressive fire. Al walked away without a scratch.

Barry Eller
05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I didn't personally see this boat, my wife was at a "Hen" party in Destin with her girlfriends, he was at the same watering hole. Harbor Docks I thinkl. This was about 3 years ago? I did see one of the turbine powered boats in Destin Harbor, he made a pass around "Crab Island" probably 120 MPH+. Sounded like a Vacuum cleaner on steroids!

wrussellw
05-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Took a better look at your photo Barry. This isnt the boat that burned. It was one of his turbine super-cats. He used to light up the after-burners leaving the canal heading into the lake. You could feel the heat on the second floor of the bar when he passed by.:eek!:

apollo24
05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
That's funny- used to live next door to AJ's on Destin Harbor. That turbine cat was often parked down there. It had a Evinrude 200 or 250 with a waterjet lower unit as a stern thruster or kicker- painted yella, of course.

wrussellw
05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Ben
I am headed your way Thursday on a Cabo 40. Any slips suggestions.
Sorry I missed you a couple weeks ago. We had sailed over and I realized your office was right there. Going to ZZ Top Friday. Will you be around?

apollo24
05-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Sure- a lot of people stay on their boats for the show. The amphitheatre is just across the screet from the marina. Call me at 850-259-8009 if you want me to put you in touch with the harbormeister. They are pricey here but Lulu's Homeport Marina is just down the road and they are quite reasonable- but requires a taxi ride.

Not sure yet if I am going to make the show. We have a killer box there but I am usually in line behind the owner's family for the tickets. PM me your number- let's catch up either way!

-Ben

wrussellw
05-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Ben sent a PM