PDA

View Full Version : Got water on head, need advice....

Donziweasel
05-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Pulled the valve cover but forgot I had unhooked a hose to get a socket. Put the hose on, fired it up. Hose sprayed water all over head before I caught it. I wiped up everything on top of head. Just run for a minute or to, let sit, and then drain oil? Really wanted to run it today, beautiful out here.

Tick was gone, maybe plug wire was the culprit? Valves were fine, rods fine, lash set right. sounded good.

onesubdrvr
05-18-2008, 09:42 AM
I think that's a good idea, run it for a couple of minutes, drain and refill the oil, then maybe again at the end of the day running.

Maybe a little excessive changing the oil again at the end of the day, but better safe than sorry.

*edit - beat me to it Poodle :D*

Wayne

MOP
05-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Like Poodle said run it mix it good so most it disappears with the oil change the rest the rest should burn off on a good long run. Nice fresh water should not hurt anything.

yeller
05-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Not a big deal DW. I ran my original motor (in my old 16) for an entire season with a cracked block. It'd pick up about a qt of water every 15hrs. I'd run till I showed an extra qt then change the oil. Despite the cracked block, when I ripped it apart, I saw no signs of extra wear.

As everyone else said, I'd wouldn't worry about running it.
I wouldn't change it twice....but that's just my own opinion.

Donziweasel
05-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks, it ran for maybe 25 seconds with the hose puking water on it. Hey, at least I no my water pump is cranking. Water was cold clean well water.

zelatore
05-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Tick was gone, maybe plug wire was the culprit? Valves were fine, rods fine, lash set right. sounded good.

Ah, but this is the important part! What's a little oil change in exchange for not having to worry about that tick for another week or however long it would take to get back to it. :)

Donziweasel
05-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Got it back together. I have to loosen the bolts on the exhuast manifild to get the valve cover on. Really sucks. I wonder if the make a set that is a little narrower on top and a smidgin lower. Might make my engine look a little nicer. Been in and outr so many times, some of the nice Merc paint is chipped away, plus the fire two years ago, and the oil leak, and about everything else.

Started it, and it fired right up. No sign of the knock. Sounded great. Hopefully just the plug wire. Might run it tommorrow for about 10 minutes, drain oil and replace. Dammit, don't have a filter. Oh well, I only have 45 minutes on it since my oil change last fall when engine was out.

mrfixxall
05-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Got it back together. I have to loosen the bolts on the exhuast manifild to get the valve cover on. Really sucks. I wonder if the make a set that is a little narrower on top and a smidgin lower. Might make my engine look a little nicer. Been in and outr so many times, some of the nice Merc paint is chipped away, plus the fire two years ago, and the oil leak, and about everything else.
Started it, and it fired right up. No sign of the knock. Sounded great. Hopefully just the plug wire. Might run it tommorrow for about 10 minutes, drain oil and replace. Dammit, don't have a filter. Oh well, I only have 45 minutes on it since my oil change last fall when engine was out.

I dont think changing the valve covers is going to make it easier for you,does your exhaust manifold hugg the head so you cant get at the bolts? i know if you change your exhaust to a performance exhaust like a set of EMI you can get the valve covers off with out removing the manifold and riser:)

zelatore
05-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I dont think changing the valve covers is going to make it easier for you,does your exhaust manifold hugg the head so you cant get at the bolts? i know if you change your exhaust to a performance exhaust like a set of EMI you can get the valve covers off with out removing the manifold and riser:)

See Honey, it's a maintenance issue...I don't want the new headers, I need them!

At least that's how I'd spin it... :wink:

MOP
05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
At that altitude he can' pass enough air through that engine to warrant tubes, but Boo Boo doesn't have to know that!