PDA

View Full Version : Any of you Fla boys or any others for that matter.

Last Real Texan
05-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Just sitting here thinking about some fun things I used to do long time ago mostly trips back and forth to the Bahamas.......have done this in everything from a 13 ft whaler to a 60 ft Hatteras...I have a ton of navagational and mechanical skills for the trip as well as a ton of boat handling in all kinds of weather.

Was thinking a trip for a 3 day weekend with a trip over to Bimini or West end.....sounds ambitious but I think it could be done.....anyone really interested? I don't mind the trip in a single screw as long as we have a good group that could cruise @ 45-50 MPH ( weather permitting) or even a slow pace of 40-45 MPH

What do you think?

Tex

Mr X
05-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Been there, done that.
Anything less than a 38 and you might spend DAYS waiting on the weather
to let you come back home. I am always bored to death once I get there.....:hangum:

Last Real Texan
05-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Been there, done that.
Anything less than a 38 and you might spend DAYS waiting on the weather
to let you come back home. I am always bored to death once I get there.....:hangum:

Very true about the weather indeed....but being bored to death once there I have to disagree....lots of nice places to stay and if you love the water ...being under or just snorkeling it is the :smileybo:

Now I do have to say that all my trips over there from the 70's on were for fishing alone....but we also did a lot of snorkeling and diving as well. I must say I have never made the trip in a performance boat. But plan it well and no matter what the weather can change in a few minutes. I can remember going over one morning and it was alll good....got to the gulf stream and it turned to sheeeeeeaaaaattttttttt in a hurry, we went from glass with a few rollers to 10 footers with crazy chop on top of it.....oh those were the days, young and 7 foot tall and bullet proof...I still think it would be a good trip

Just thinking off the top of my head.

Tex

samjannarone
05-17-2008, 06:35 PM
on the open ocean brings back memories. In 1969 my friend and I (we were both 14 yrs old) were running around the Bargenat Bay in NJ and got bored, and decided to see how the ocean looked. Heading out the Manasquan Inlet we noticed that two red pennants were flying above the Coast Guard station. To us, this was great news....A GALE WARNING!!!!! Has to be some big water!! As we approached the mouth of the inlet we could see these mountains coming towards us. Beautiful! So we spent the rest of the afternoon (it was weird, still a little bit sunny) riding up and down the face of these huge rollers that were spread far apart, and were so high that the motor was bogging out on the way up. They seemed as high as the roof of a two story house.
I can only imagine crossing the gulf stream in a whaler.:boat:..let's hear about that trip!

Mr X
05-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Very true about the weather indeed....but being bored to death once there I have to disagree....lots of nice places to stay and if you love the water ...being under or just snorkeling it is the :smileybo:
Now I do have to say that all my trips over there from the 70's on were for fishing alone....but we also did a lot of snorkeling and diving as well. I must say I have never made the trip in a performance boat. But plan it well and no matter what the weather can change in a few minutes. I can remember going over one morning and it was alll good....got to the gulf stream and it turned to sheeeeeeaaaaattttttttt in a hurry, we went from glass with a few rollers to 10 footers with crazy chop on top of it.....oh those were the days, young and 7 foot tall and bullet proof...I still think it would be a good trip
Just thinking off the top of my head.
Tex

Well, I guess we are spoiled where we live.
We do all that stuff in our backyard. :wink:

Last Real Texan
05-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Well, I guess we are spoiled where we live.
We do all that stuff in our backyard. :wink:
Grew up un South Fla. Naples to Sarasota....what a great time and place to grow up....I remember it well but the thing that escapes my memory is the gin clear water.....with greater that 20 ft visability and the Coral reefs and swimmimg a ledge with tons of fish glistening in the water. Can't really remember the water off of Longboat key ever really beeing that way...:wink:

Tex

Mr X
05-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Right now, I can see the bottom under the New Pass bridge, its 35 feet deep
right there. :wink: :wink:
We were actually diving under the longboat bridge by Beercan last week and plucked 41 stonecrabs (claws) off the pilings!

Air 22
05-17-2008, 10:59 PM
I prefer my 72ft Twin Engine ride when frequenting the Bahamas...:thumbsup::cool: Many sharks visible from this view:eek!:

Mr X
05-18-2008, 06:16 AM
I prefer my 72ft Twin Engine ride when frequenting the Bahamas...:thumbsup::cool: Many sharks visible from this view:eek!:
Now thats THEE way to do it!! :D

BUIZILLA
05-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Dwight, your Officially a BRAT... :cool:

Air 22
05-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Dwight, your Officially a BRAT... :cool:

Once in a while we carry SAND BAG's....Wanna get away??:smash::smash::nilly::nilly::wink::cool:

:drive:Landing on those remote strips is a blast:thumbsup:...I can give you some hands on Instruction :drive:and cure you of that Anchor in your mind:nilly: you haul around:smash::smash:

Johntrip
05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
I would be in for a Donzi gathering in Bimini.... Crossed a dozen or so times in the 33zx. This year is the first time I did'nt plan my Memorial Day Weekend over there. Doing alot of construction at the house and the GAS prices are killin long boat trips for me right now. I burn around 160 - 200 gallons of fuel on a three day trip over there and fuel over there is around 6.00 somethin right now..... I've seen wave runners make the trip from stiltsville.

recessii
08-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Anyone know what it costs to stop in Bimini for the Day?
what kind of entrance fees are there now ?

Mr X
08-09-2008, 03:19 PM
300 bucks last time I heard.. Good for 90 days though..
IMO Bimini is becoming a hellhole.. Folks stuff getting ripped oof of their boats etc, shame it was a very cool place at one time :( :)

Agree 100%, I will never go back.

HIGH LIFE
09-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I would kill to go over in my own boat, MAGNUM 27 w/Tw300 Mercs. Possibly W. Palm to Grand Bahama Is. app. 65 mi. than east to Abacos....HIGH LIFE