PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel puller

VetteLT193
05-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I have a standard wheel puller, but it doesn't have the proper bolts for my wheel. I'll admit that I could have lost them over the years, I bought it for a car many years ago.

For those who have done this on a Donzi, have you used a steering wheel puller, or have you done a gear puller? It looks like a gear puller might work better to pull the whole wheel and hub.

gcarter
05-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Honestly, I wedged my knees behind the wheel, loosened the nut and reinstalled the nut upside down untill the nut surface was flush w/the shaft and walloped it w/ a plastic dead impact hammer. :smash:
So far that's worked every time, at least on Donzis.

MOP
05-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Did I teach you that trick George, that is one I have been using for 40 some odd years.

Phil

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
It will wiggle out, with some force... I did mine and it was a brute, called a friend and he said stay at it... The flat key will eventually give.
Best of luck, Bryan

Air 22
05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Rubber Mallet/Hammer works well.....:smash::wink:

mjw930
05-14-2008, 10:37 PM
I have a 3 arm gear puller in my tool box so I tried that first and it worked like a charm. The rubber mallet was my backup plan ;)

rtgogo
05-15-2008, 05:54 AM
I'm replacing the hub this weekend and just need to clarify the steps. I have a Seastar Hydraulic unit, so please let me know if that changes any of the process or i need to be careful not to screw something up. The way I understand it, I should pull the entire wheel and existing hub off the shaft before breaking the hub free from the wheel. right? Thanks!

MOP
05-15-2008, 06:39 AM
One thing none of us mentioned is it is very important to preload the steering wheel from the back when using a hammer, you can damage the helm.

Phil

VetteLT193
05-15-2008, 06:53 AM
I'll give the brute force method a try. Thanks for the info:)

Donzigo
05-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Ditto MOP, I just did it yesterday and replaced my steering wheel.

I have three steering wheels extra. Two are the ones with the Donzi emblem in the middle and one is a white Dino style. Anybody need any steering wheels? $25 each............

gcarter
05-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Wellllll,
I don't use brute force. As I mentioned, I wedge my knees behind the wheel. They're kind of on the bottom of the wheel, one at 4 O'clock and one at 8 O'clock. My left hand is pulling towards me at 12 O'clock. In other words I'm exerting a pulling force towards me and away from the helm at three positions simultaneously at about 120* apart.
Then using the plastic dead impact hammer, I quickly rap the shaft w/the nut still on it flush w/the shaft end. :smash:
Sometimes you have to do this more than once, but it will work. :smash::smash:
The dead impact hammer is important. It has some mass to it, about 3# of lead shot inside, but it's hard to damage things w/it. It's a neat tool.

MOP
05-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Mt dead blow found a new home, kids seem to think they need my tools more then I do. Still have seven tool boxes it will be awhile before they put me out of business!

M.O.P.

Cuda
05-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Honestly, I wedged my knees behind the wheel, loosened the nut and reinstalled the nut upside down untill the nut surface was flush w/the shaft and walloped it w/ a plastic dead impact hammer. :smash:
So far that's worked every time, at least on Donzis.
I did it similar on my fishboat. Too bad I was too lazy to get out of the boat, and get a brass drift to hit it with, and no extra nut on it either. I bunged up the threads, and of course, I didn't have a die that size, so I turned a ten minute job, into a two week ordeal, because I was too lazy, and the bad part is, I KNEW better. :(

Cuda
05-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Wellllll,
I don't use brute force. As I mentioned, I wedge my knees behind the wheel. They're kind of on the bottom of the wheel, one at 4 O'clock and one at 8 O'clock. My left hand is pulling towards me at 12 O'clock. In other words I'm exerting a pulling force towards me and away from the helm at three positions simultaneously at about 120* apart.
Then using the plastic dead impact hammer, I quickly rap the shaft w/the nut still on it flush w/the shaft end. :smash:
Sometimes you have to do this more than once, but it will work. :smash::smash:
The dead impact hammer is important. It has some mass to it, about 3# of lead shot inside, but it's hard to damage things w/it. It's a neat tool.
I used a BFH, but it was a ball peen hammer. Plenty of sharp force, piss poor aim. :(

rtgogo
05-18-2008, 08:45 AM
This is the first piece I've installed without modifications to make it fit! Old hud slid right off..and new one installed without issue.......really added some color to that bright white interior!

MOP
05-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks Poodle thought of that early on and forgot, it is more then worth pulling it off again. If not done it may be come permanently married to the taper, of course you can alway "Saws All" the hub down the road.

VetteLT193
05-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Sunday I tried the brute force method with no luck. Bought a gear puller for $10 at harbor freight and popped it right off. I think 20 years of being stuck on the hub killed the brute force method for me :(

Thanks for everyone's help!