PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Tip Cleaner/ Polish suggestions

cherry82482
05-13-2008, 07:20 AM
I need suggestions on metal polish cleaner for my exhaust tips. It currently takes me about 1 hr to clean tips after each boat use. I currently use "Blue Magic Metal Polish". I assume there is better polish out there to clean water spots on stainless steal tips. Thank You in advance for your help!!

ITTLFLI
05-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Speedy....

http://www.swipewipes.com/speedy.htm

Carl C
05-13-2008, 07:48 AM
I hear you, man! I've solved the sooty transom problem by waxing it after every washing but the tips.........:(:mad::mad::kaioken:

86fxst
05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
How 'bout Never Dull?:confused:

BigGrizzly
05-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Several hints. Leverage has a metal polish that works great. It comes in a big bottle works like flits and Semi Chrome but easier. It doesn't scratch the pipes. Another tried and true is Brasso available at Hardware stores and even Wal Marts and Grocery stores(works on stainless props too. Another thing Pledge before an outing(i always forget), also spray windex on the transom and don't wipe it off.

hot shot
05-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Byron: are you gonna have any speedy at aoth ? I'll try a bottle.... I see you are a dist for it. Mick

gold-n-rod
05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
I keep a spray bottle of a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. It takes the soot and hard water spots off the tips in a jiffy!!!!!!!!!! :smash: Cheap, too!

ITTLFLI
05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Byron: are you gonna have any speedy at aoth ? I'll try a bottle.... I see you are a dist for it. Mick

I will have some for you!

I am a dealer but don't really stock too much. I am Dan's buddy and was his first Swipes/Speedy dealer. But I have tried most of the "shine/clean" products and it works the best I have found..Truely! :pimp:

VetteLT193
05-13-2008, 10:30 AM
If the pipes are really far gone, the mother's mini ball works excellent.

On good looking pipes I usually stick to Nevr Dull because it's non-abrasive.

I'm going to try the vinegar and water trick to see if it gets the white crap off the pipes after running. That's the one thing I've found no miracle product for.

MOP
05-13-2008, 10:32 AM
In salt we do not have the problem the salt hoses off, but when I go up to fresh water I come home with what you guys are up against. My neighbor put me onto wrapping a a few layers of rag around the tips and soaking them in vinegar, what little is left a few hours can usually be rubbed off with the rag!

jeddski
05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I recently used Collinite's #850 Metal Wax (from west marine) and was amazed. Have yet to try it on the boats exhaust but have used it on:
- the exhausts for ALL of my cars and it worked quickly with minimal effort
- the bar sink at the house
- and a few other random tasks around the house

I'm anxious to try it on the pipes on the boat and see what it does there.

Also, as already mentioned I've heard great things about NeverDull but have yet to try it. I picked some up when i bought the Metal Wax but the MW did such a great job i didnt need to open the NeverDull.

mrfixxall
05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
I need suggestions on metal polish cleaner for my exhaust tips. It currently takes me about 1 hr to clean tips after each boat use. I currently use "Blue Magic Metal Polish". I assume there is better polish out there to clean water spots on stainless steal tips. Thank You in advance for your help!!

Rex marine makes a spot cleaner that works great on baked on water spots,,spray it on and let it sit and polish off..works like a champ..a qt bottle costs 10 bucks and its called ''wipe clean''909-592-1000

Planetwarmer
05-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I use any of the sprays like CLR, Soft Scrub for stainless bathroom fixtures, etc.. There is no scrubbing and it is instant. I used to polish the white residue off of the pipes, then I thought "hey lets try the stuff that cleans the water spots off of my bathroom fixtures"! Well, it worked. Like a charm.

So to make a long story even longer, you are more than welcome to spend lots of $$ on some special cleaner for boats, or you could just use what you probably already have under the sink. The vinegar and water is a great idea as well. I haven't tried it myself, but if it works, that would be the cheapest.

PS Don't get any of the fixture cleaners on the paint!!!!!!!! Spray it on a rag then wipe it on. Use a glass cleaner to shine it up like new. It will take you 37 seconds to do 2 pipes.

Happy cleaning.:propeller:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-13-2008, 12:17 PM
I use any of the sprays like CLR, Soft Scrub for stainless bathroom fixtures, etc.. There is no scrubbing and it is instant. I used to polish the white residue off of the pipes, then I thought "hey lets try the stuff that cleans the water spots off of my bathroom fixtures"! Well, it worked. Like a charm.

So to make a long story even longer, you are more than welcome to spend lots of $$ on some special cleaner for boats, or you could just use what you probably already have under the sink. The vinegar and water is a great idea as well. I haven't tried it myself, but if it works, that would be the cheapest.

PS Don't get any of the fixture cleaners on the paint!!!!!!!! Spray it on a rag then wipe it on. Use a glass cleaner to shine it up like new. It will take you 37 seconds to do 2 pipes.

Happy cleaning.:propeller:

Right on! I discovered that Zap porcelin cleaner got the water spots off anything on a boat (including the outdrive and prop) in just a few seconds without any scrubbing or abrasives. If you mix muratic acid 50% with water you will get the same results for almost no cost. Just wash it off after applying it with a rag. You might want to use nitrile gloves if using some of these products on a rag, but they work extremely fast with no damage! Just don't leave the products on any longer than it takes to clean them. Bill

glashole
05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I have used a combination of 30% flitz or the blue magic

when mixed with 70% of elbow greese it should take most of it off

I have been fairly lucky with putting a bit of wax on the tips as i am waxing the boat and it helps out a little bit

Planetwarmer
05-13-2008, 07:03 PM
In my book, elbow grease is aheckofalot more expensive than CLR!:smash:

Carl C
05-13-2008, 07:11 PM
CLR and acids are harsh and are intended for mineral deposits. I'm getting black soot baked on and a wax coating hasn't helped much. I've been using chrome polish and 99% elbow grease which sucks. Today I was at the boat shop and picked up a bottle of Star Brite Chrome & Stainless Polish. It says "cleans, shines, and protects in one step". I'll let you know.

yeller
05-13-2008, 11:22 PM
plantwarmer got it right....CLR. Works great. I just started using it but my cousin has used it on his tips for years and they still look like new.

osur866
05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
50/50 mix water and CLR works for me! Steve

Carl C
05-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Does CLR take off the black soot? I've stopped using harsh cleaners on the boat's finish.

CHACHI
05-14-2008, 12:35 PM
XL-1 bike wash works wonderful on black soot.
Also works excellent on aluminum wheels to remove brake dust.

Ken

MOP
05-14-2008, 12:37 PM
XL-1 bike wash works wonderful on black soot.
Also works excellent on aluminum wheels to remove brake dust.

Ken

Is that a SHAMELESS plug?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-14-2008, 06:49 PM
My 2 cents is "Mothers".. any good Auto Parts store.
Polish/clean, it lasts allot longer than wax.

Best of luck,
Bryan

yeller
05-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Does CLR take off the black soot? I've stopped using harsh cleaners on the boat's finish.I'm sure it would, but I certainly wouldn't use it on the boats finish. I use it on metals only.

Jamesbon
05-15-2008, 02:31 PM
For exhaust tips, all you need is Lime Away and a hose. I used to scrub, buff, sweat and all of the above - No more! Just hose 'em down, squirt some Lime Away on there and hose off. This works for the white baked on mineral deposits & soot from fresh water and saltwater.

Available in any grocery store...cheap...

Barry Eller
05-16-2008, 06:25 AM
For exhaust tips, all you need is Lime Away and a hose. I used to scrub, buff, sweat and all of the above - No more! Just hose 'em down, squirt some Lime Away on there and hose off. This works for the white baked on mineral deposits & soot from fresh water and saltwater.
Available in any grocery store...cheap...

I use Lime Away on the hull to remove the brown water stains that form at the water line. I use the spray instead of the gel. With the gel you need to use gloves, it will scald your hands. It does work great on SS, just don't let it stay on too long.

Barry Eller
05-16-2008, 07:23 AM
White vinegar, available @ Costco etc for 3.99 per humongous jug...

Will it work on the waterline stains? I have plenty of white vinegar...use it to make North Carolina BBQ sauce.

mrfixxall
05-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Carl

Does CLR take off the black soot?

The stuff from rexmarine does...

Carl C
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Carl

Does CLR take off the black soot?

The stuff from rexmarine does... I haven't tried it yet. CLR, Limeaway and even vinegar are all acids:eek!:. What is the name of the Rex Marine stuff. Prolly another acid? I'll try the stuff I already bought before resorting to CLR or vinegar.

Carl C
05-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Havent tried it on waterline stains, not sure. Works like a champ on the exhaust tips, my outboards etc.. Carl, if vinegar hurts you boat you have a lot more to be afraid of then you think.. OK, I just put it on my Costco list.

mrfixxall
05-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I haven't tried it yet. CLR, Limeaway and even vinegar are all acids:eek!:. What is the name of the Rex Marine stuff. Prolly another acid? I'll try the stuff I already bought before resorting to CLR or vinegar.

Rex marine makes a (spot cleaner) that works great on baked on water spots,,spray it on and let it sit and polish off..works like a champ..a qt bottle costs 10 bucks and its called ''wipe clean''909-592-1000

its called spot cleaner,ive used it on bare alunimum and didnt harm it..It smells like coconuts,i just spray it on and rub it in with a spongue and hose it off...Works great for baked on water and mineral spots and doesnt harm anything,well worth the 10 bucks it costs:)

Jamesbon
05-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Vinegar sounds like a good, cheap solution. Will have to try that when the Lime Away runs out...

I've used Lime Away many times on gel and stainless, with excellent results. Even cleans up the 'ol black Bravo with no signs of harm. Just be sure to rinse it all down when done. I'm tellin ya, "it's so easy, a caveman could do it!" LOL!

For waterline stains, try "Sno Bowl." It's toilet cleaner. That's suggested by an old pro, I know, in the marine industry....who know's his $hit. :)

Our local detailers use muriatic acid with excellent results on stained, white gel bottoms. Again, be sure to rinse and DON"T breathe the fumes, they'll make you gag!

Good Luck!

Carl C
05-16-2008, 09:14 PM
I need suggestions on metal polish cleaner for my exhaust tips. It currently takes me about 1 hr to clean tips after each boat use. I currently use "Blue Magic Metal Polish". I assume there is better polish out there to clean water spots on stainless steal tips. Thank You in advance for your help!! OK, the person who started this thread hasn't responded. Cherry, are you talking about hard water spots or black carbon? I'm gonna try the vinegar, but on the tips only. I'm also gonna try the new polish I got at Bass Pro shops. If no good then I'll try one of the other products listed here.

cherry82482
05-16-2008, 09:53 PM
When I started this thread a few days ago I was talking about the hard water spots of the stainless steal exhaust tips. All the answers concerning the carbon are extremely helpful as well. That was going to be my second question. I never thought there would be three pages of answers. I'm using the lime away solution as my first step in cleaning the tips.

Carl C
05-17-2008, 06:33 AM
I never thought there would be three pages of answers. Start a prop thread and see what happens!!! If you have a 496 you probably get a sooty transom. A quick waxing and it will wipe right off with soapy water, then wax it again for the next run. Then you won't have to use these corrosive cleaners on the boats finish. My tips get baked on black soot after every run that the wax thing doesn't help that much.

Carl C
05-21-2008, 02:12 PM
White vinegar, available @ Costco etc for 3.99 per humongous jug... I just got my humongous Costco jug of this really nasty liquid. If it ever warms up I'll try it on the exhaust tips. Must wash hands now.....nasty......stinky...:eek!:

cherry82482
05-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Carl,

You think that vinegar smells bad? Try drinking it as a kid because of a potty mouth. My parents made me drink that straight from the bottle. Too bad I never learned!! Weather is suppose to be nice this weekend!! See you out on Lake St Clair!!

Carl C
05-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Carl,

You think that vinegar smells bad? Try drinking it as a kid because of a potty mouth. My parents made me drink that straight from the bottle. Too bad I never learned!! Weather is suppose to be nice this weekend!! See you out on Lake St Clair!! If I ever had to drink this stuff I'd let loose with a whole string of expletives:cussball:. I'm hoping to hit St. Clair on Monday. I work week-ends. Let me know if you're out there during the week at all. I'll meet you at the Lake St. Clair lighthouse or something. That bottle leaked a little, my hands still stink:eek!:.

Planetwarmer
05-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I tried distiled white vinegar today. It cleaned the pipes as well as anything I have tried. I bought a bottle for .54 cents!!!!! I put it on a paper towel and wiped the hard water spots off instantly! I will use this from now on. I esed Windex to polish them afterwards.:happy_bi: