PDA

View Full Version : trim tabs for a sweet 16

DonziDan16
05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I need to get some trim tabs for my sweet 16 but I don't know if I should get 9x9 or 9x12s.
According to Lenco, 9x9 is for 14-18ft boats and 9x12 is for 16-22ft. Should I go with the 9x12s since it is a heavy boat?:smash:
Also planning on going with the edge mount version.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Donziweasel
05-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Bennett, I installed my own. Took an hour and a half. Worked great ever since. Also, go for small tabs. 16's are VERY sensitive to tabs. I have never had mine dropped below 1/4 of the way.

DonziDan16
05-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Why Bennett over Lenco?

Donziweasel
05-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Ease of installation, customer service, quality. Hmmm....about everything. Plus, they are a nice match for the 16. Mine lined up real nice. Here is a pic and another of switch location.

Sam
05-12-2008, 07:29 PM
I have Bennett as well as Lenco brands. There has been no difference with the service or performance. Early on I had one of the Lenco cylinders go bad, they sent a new one no questions asked.

chappy
05-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I heard Bennett's hold up in the salt differently than the Lenco's.

MOP
05-12-2008, 08:44 PM
The Lencos seem to do very well in fresh water, down by me in all salt N/G, every single local dealer has dropped them. The salt when it dries gets to the ram seals. The install on the Lencos is easier, maybe an hour. The Bennets are an easy install just take a little longer, I have been running Bennets longer then I can remember. The customer service seems to be on a par for both, I am pretty sure you will find most prefer the Bennets.

Phil

VetteLT193
05-13-2008, 07:13 AM
I've run bennett tabs on boats from 20 - 48 feet in salt environment. They are the most reliable working component of the boat.

I've said that many times in the past and now Bennett is running an ad campaign that talks about reliability. The idea of the campaign is it shows people restoring boats and they change every part out but leave the original bennett tabs because they are so good.

Donziweasel
05-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Sam said it best, he had a Lenco cylinder drop. While customer service took care of it, it is still a pain to have a stuck tab and have to switch it out. When I did mine, everyone on the boards said Bennett. I have never really heard of a Bennett failure, although I am sure it has probably happened.

One member told me he had either lost or misplaced a part while installing. Bennett sent him one overnight free of charge.

MOP
05-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Well I guess the consensus has not and probably never will change can't beat such overall reliability. Do a search on mounting them do not follow the mounting instruction that come with it. You can loose a fair amount of speed!

Phil

hot shot
05-13-2008, 08:16 AM
I have the stock 9 x 12 i just took off of my boat complete with a billit trim switch, was gonna put them on ebay interested ? 734 516 1242 Mick

JeffH
05-13-2008, 09:54 AM
I have Lenco tabs in a salt water enviro and have had no problems!

Boat is cleaned thouroughly after each use and never left in the water more than 2 or 3 days.

MOP
05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I have Lenco tabs in a salt water enviro and have had no problems!

Boat is cleaned thouroughly after each use and never left in the water more than 2 or 3 days.

Jeff your point well taken it is mostly rack boats suffer that were not washed off well, the seals on the rams let go and short the ram motor. The tab stays in what ever position until a new ram is installed, could be iffy depending how far down. With the Bennets you can crack a line to relieve pressure and go on your merry with no tab reaction.

mjw930
05-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Forget the rest and install the best, K-Planes :wink: :wink: :wink:

Just kidding!

MOP
05-13-2008, 01:39 PM
K planes are way over kill on a 16, the 16's hook and small tabs is all anyone needs. Also remember when the boat starts to wander side to side down a channel or creek just drop the tabs all the way down and it will run straight with your hands off the wheel!

Phil

JeffH
05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Phil,

Will that work with an 18 too? I leave the wheel alone and it will correct itself but I sure look funny weaving down the canals!

MOP
05-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Phil,

Will that work with an 18 too? I leave the wheel alone and it will correct itself but I sure look funny weaving down the canals!

Yes the wag is common to all single engine V hulls, the effect is less as the length increases. One thing remember to raise them before you take off, I have embarrassed myself a couple of times trying to dive the bow!!!!

DonziDan16
05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still sort of leaning towards Lenco though :bonk:I like the simplicity of them and there's already so little space in the engine compartment of the sweet 16 that I would hate to add another hydraulic pump. I'm in brackish water so there is some salt, but not a lot. I also spray down the boat after every use.
Sorry guys:hangum: