PDA

View Full Version : Another oil prediction.....

gcarter
05-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Reprinted from MoneyNews.com
Lehman Bros. Report: Oil Bust in the Cards

Friday, April 25, 2008 5:56 p.m. EDT

Is $120 oil even real? Not if you ask the Saudis, or even Lehman Bros.

The investment bank’s oil expert said this week that the oil boom is due to bust. Economic growth across the globe will slow just as new refineries kick in, raising supply.

Recession or not, a U.S. slowdown will slacken demand sharply, right as new oil hits the market. "Supply is outpacing demand growth,” said Michael Waldron, Lehman’s oil strategist.

"Inventories have been building since the beginning of the year. We have pretty significant projects starting soon in Saudi Arabia, and large off-shore fields in Nigeria,” he said.

Lehman is now predicting prices at $83 a barrel in 2009 and as low as $70 in 2010.

Although some years off, Brazil too has found as much as 8 billion barrels of light oil and gas offshore. The South American giant’s president says his country might well join OPEC when the Tupi field begins to pump, in 2011.

In addition, Middle Eastern sovereign wealth funds have pushed up the oil price by investing billions of their oil gains, ironically, in commodities index funds.

Now they could be looking to get out, warns Waldron. He figures the money effect has driven anywhere from $20 to $30 into the barrel price.

In addition, a weak dollar is holding oil prices high, according to a series of statements from OPEC leaders over the past week.

If you buy the views of OPEC’s various leaders, that’s at least another $20 of oil price that is not supported by the actual supply and demand situation.

In addition, Europe’s central bank seems bent on containing inflation there. A rate increase in Europe is sure to contain the euro’s rise against the dollar — if serious steps are taken soon.

Couple that with a lower-than-expected rate cut in the U.S. next week, or perhaps no cut, and the oil price drops as the dollar gains ground.

All this is having little immediate impact now, of course. U.S. gas prices at the pump hit $3.58 a gallon just as the summer driving season kicks off.

If nothing changes, analysts now expect gas to rise to as high as $4 a gallon in as little as a month.

VetteLT193
05-12-2008, 03:14 PM
we need more articles like that...

Donziweasel
05-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I agree with Lehman Bros. Current prices are artificially high, not driven by supply and demand. More supply than demand right now. The bubble will burst. Might be a while though. Someone's gettin rich, but it aint me.

BUIZILLA
05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
i've got a road trip to KY starting tomorrow night with the coach and car trailer... fuel today on the way is between 4.219 to 4.399.... that puts me at about $1300 just to go there and back for 2,100 miles or so... that's just nuts... :eek!: :propeller: it's coming down to fuel, or food :nilly:

jl1962
05-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Unfortunately there is only a very small bubble to burst. A confluence of events (demand spikes, supply shocks, geo-political tensions, speculators) have gotten us to this point but most of the pain we are feeling is from the weak dollar. We have much less purchasing power internationally than we did 3 - 5 years ago. Oil is an international commodity and it takes a lot more greenbacks to buy a barrel of oil than it used to. The Fed has chosen to fight the credit meltdown and resultant economic softness with low interest rates and high money supply. By doing so they have thrown the almighty $ to the wolves - a perfect storm. In hindsight - it seems that defending the dollar would have been the better choice.

It's going to be a bumpy ride, but the root of the problem is the weak dollar. :(

Donziweasel
05-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Buiz, a fill up and some ramen noodles is your answer. :wink:

Tony
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately there is only a very small bubble to burst. A confluence of events (demand spikes, supply shocks, geo-political tensions, speculators) have gotten us to this point but most of the pain we are feeling is from the weak dollar. We have much less purchasing power internationally than we did 3 - 5 years ago. Oil is an international commodity and it takes a lot more greenbacks to buy a barrel of oil than it used to. The Fed has chosen to fight the credit meltdown and resultant economic softness with low interest rates and high money supply. By doing so they have thrown the almighty $ to the wolves - a perfect storm. In hindsight - it seems that defending the dollar would have been the better choice.

It's going to be a bumpy ride, but the root of the problem is the weak dollar. :(

Great point, Jay, and especially pertinent since it is delivered by someone in the know, imho.

:beer:

jl1962
05-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Great point, Jay, and especially pertinent since it is delivered by someone in the know, imho.

:beer:

Tony - the more I know - the less I know!

We just bought a Mini. It's awesome - like the best tii you've ever driven. We flog the car and still get 37MPG. Yes there are 5 of us, and one dog and two boats but we are not always hauling and trailering and don't always need the big car. No I'm not going all wobbly and I won't write in Al Gore in November and I won't use my boat any less but there are choices and alternatives. We need more exploration, more conservation and no more stinking interest rate cuts!

Go Red Wings!

JL