PDA

View Full Version : Bronco...

Donziweasel
05-12-2008, 08:56 AM
I have been stuck for almost 2 months. Chassis is done. Been looking for an acceptable body and might have found one. Bidding on one on ebay. I will say it has been harder for me to work on it as spring (very little) starts to creep into the valley. I would rather be outside enjoying Wyoming than working on it. I am about 3/4 of the way done and will wrap it up this summer, but I learned a few things that I already probably new, but did not want to accept.

1. Any resto is going to be about twice as much to do than your original budget, especailly if you don't cut corners. I had budgeted around 12,000-15,000 and I am already way north of that. Hope Boo Boo doesn't find out!

2. Time- it will also take 2 to 3 times as long as you originally planned. I had hoped to do it in 4 months, going to take 8-9.

3. Nothing will go as planned- The way things are suppossed to go together and the way they actually do are two different things. I chose this rig as my first project because of the simplicity of the design and components. Even something as simply as the 1969 Bronco has had it's fair share of fabricating and inginuity invloved.

4. When things do not go as planned, the pull to cut corners is pretty big- I want a nice correctly restored Bronco and have not cut corners, but it is getting harder and harder to do as the budget and time increase. I am sticking to my guns for now on how I want it done, but it could be much easier.

5. Some days, you just have to walk away- When I feel like taking it to the Snake and dumping it in it, I just have to walk away for a day or two and get focused again.

6. You will find many problems that were not apparent when you first started. When things start coming apart, you really see what you are working with. For example, the front axle was such a mess, I had to rebuild EVERYTHING! Kind pins, all the bearings, etc... Was much worse than I originally thought as was the body.

At this point, I have enjoyed my project, but it has been far tougher than I originally thought. I have learned a bunch, and I am sure I will be very happy with the end result, but some days, I swear that thing is the anti-christ. I know I am not alone, Rootsy once told me he had some issues with the deck of the mistress fitting and I am sure GCarter has run into his fair share of problems with some of the work he has done over the years. I guess it is part of the game.