PDA

View Full Version : OMC Sterndrive water leak???

VICPERDIDO
05-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I have an 89 Regazza 25, with OMC sterndrive, and 5.7 engine. I am repowering at present and have the 5.7 out of the boat, but I also had a water leak in my stern drive that I wanted to repair it when I repowered. To find the leak I put the plug in the boat and ran water into the bilge until it came up to about half way on the exhaust pipe where they come together and exit out of the drive. I noticed some water trickling out of the drive on the outside. I pulled the zinc on the outdrive that is located underneath the outdrive next to the stern. Water was coming out of that area. Does anyone know, What is causing the leak, and what is needed to repair it. Thanks, Victor
PS: I have not purchased my repower 5.7 as of yet. Any suggestions on where to purchase a 87-95 5.7 long block?? Thanks again

Trueser
05-12-2008, 06:46 AM
I would check into MichiganMotorz out of detroit.

Barry Eller
05-12-2008, 07:35 AM
It may be your transom mount seal. You must remove the transom mount to replace the seal, it is like a very large O ring. Mine was leaking there. Be sure and replace your drive shaft bellows and shift cable bellows while you are at it.

Seal all bolt holes with silicone as well.

MOP
05-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Check the exhaust its self they are prone to rotting out over time, The corrosion usually occurs at the water level within the pipe. It will leak in at rest and obviously leak out when you fill the boat from the inside.

Phil

Barry Eller
05-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Check the exhaust its self they are prone to rotting out over time, The corrosion usually occurs at the water level within the pipe. It will leak in at rest and obviously leak out when you fill the boat from the inside.
Phil

I wouldn't have thought of that Phil, I only have big holes in the transom above the waterline...:biggrin.:

MOP
05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
The Y pipes pit from the inside out, they can look great but can start weeping. One of those silent sinker things!