PDA

View Full Version : Is this pump housing ok?

yeller
05-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Is this sea water pump housing still ok to use? There's about 250hrs on it.

Trueser
05-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I would replace it..

Carl C
05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
It shows a lot more wear than mine had at 130 hours, I don't like it.:blub:

thriller
05-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Seeing as you got it off, just replace it and keep it as a spare:yes:

MOP
05-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Jabsco make a direct replacement quite a bit cheaper then the Merc unit #43210, right next to it is another option that will make life a ton easier. It is the crank mounted model #50410, quite a few of the guys have them. You can service the impeller in about 20 minutes by just removing the cover plate. Check them out in the link below.

http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/engine_cooling_pumps/index.htm

Phil

gcarter
05-11-2008, 07:43 AM
I agree w/MOP about the crank mounted pump. A few weeks ago I made this suggestion and someone suggested it wouldn't be possible on a 496 or other late model w/a serpintine belt. But if you look here at this picture of Hot Shots Raylar engine;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35814&d=1209844838

Notice the pump is off to the lower left and there is an idler on either side of it. By just buying a shorter belt, the stock position seawater pump could be eliminated and replaced w/a crank mounted pump.
Easy to do and good for you! :smash:

BUIZILLA
05-11-2008, 07:47 AM
boy that's a busy engine....

do I see a Cuda in the background?

Carl C
05-11-2008, 08:01 AM
George, would the pump maybe turn too fast? The pulleys are different sizes. If anything I seem to be getting too much water now out my exhaust and think i could get away with slowing down the pump a little.

Dr. Dan
05-11-2008, 08:02 AM
:smash: Good Lord Batman - I could fall asleep counting pullies and following that Serpentine Belt. AirBoy must be going outta his mind with all the Revlon Red on Micks Engine...finally a new Beauty Queen.... I was getting tired of Dwights Red Flame Arrestor anyway!

Looks Great Mick & Brian... Thanks for the Shot George... hell its gonna be worth the 14 hour drive just to see this power plant.

Doc of Random Banter :doh:

Carl C
05-11-2008, 08:05 AM
:smash: Good Lord Batman - I could fall asleep counting pullies and following that Serpentine Belt. AirBoy must be going outta his mind with all the Revlon Red on Micks Engine...finally a new Beauty Queen.... I was getting tired of Dwights Red Flame Arrestor anyway!

Looks Great Mick & Brian... Thanks for the Shot George... hell its gonna be worth the 14 hour drive just to see this power plant.

Doc of Random Banter :doh: Yes, looking good but I'd have gone with the billet pulley set while it was out. What's another thousand bucks now!

gcarter
05-11-2008, 08:19 AM
George, would the pump maybe turn too fast? The pulleys are different sizes. If anything I seem to be getting too much water now out my exhaust and think i could get away with slowing down the pump a little.
The pump is sized for that engine driven at crank speed. Remember, it's not the same Merc pump moved to a different location but a pump designed for that application.

mjw930
05-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Jabsco make a direct replacement quite a bit cheaper then the Merc unit #43210, right next to it is another option that will make life a ton easier. It is the crank mounted model #50410, quite a few of the guys have them. You can service the impeller in about 20 minutes by just removing the cover plate. Check them out in the link below.
http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/engine_cooling_pumps/index.htm
Phil

Have any pictures of one of these mounted? Also, for us who have the older motors with the fuel pump as part of the assembly we would have to convert to an electric fuel pump. Still, cleaning up that area and making it a 20 minute service would be sweet.

gcarter
05-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Yep, here's one of the Minx's small block....and yes, I did use a Holley "Blue" electric pump.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34764&d=1205500979

BigGrizzly
05-11-2008, 08:44 AM
I use the bronze jabsco merc replacement pump. The impeller is a easy to replace just pull the end cap with the hoses and there is the impeller. the stock merc plastic pump cracks. Catch22 had this at Sota. I though it was because of the sand bar, first time I saw this. When I got home it turns it is fairly common, Garry even described the crack, and never saw Jim's pump. Anyway the crank pump is only recommended to 5200 RPMS. the pulley pump can be adjusted To suit. As for my boats, the Criterion has the Jabsco and the Corsican has a crank driven pump. Can't put a crank pulley on the Criterion because the blower drive pulley is too deep and I don/t want to put spacers on it, because of a balance issue.

Ranman
05-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Is this sea water pump housing still ok to use? There's about 250hrs on it.

My two pumps have 102 hrs on them and the housings look worse than yours. I replaced the impellers and they seem to work OK. I'm not looking forward to replacing them at $200/housing. The sand really gets to the bronze. Wish I could go back to the plastic ones at $90/kit.

BigGrizzly
05-11-2008, 06:42 PM
You can go back to the plastic if you want.

yeller
05-11-2008, 09:16 PM
My two pumps have 102 hrs on them and the housings look worse than yours. I replaced the impellers and they seem to work OK. I'm not looking forward to replacing them at $200/housing. The sand really gets to the bronze. Wish I could go back to the plastic ones at $90/kit.I'm not entirely sure of the hours on my pump. There's 250 on the engine but I only put on 100 of those. Not sure if the owner changed the pump before I got it. In any case, I find it ridiculous that there are no wear plates in these pumps. It would have been cheap and easy for Merc to put a couple of thin SS plates in the pumps.

I checked out the two pumps MOP mentioned. The crank mount would be nice, but with my blower pulley it'd take up the last bit of room I have in that area. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but I do use that space when squeezing in there. The other one would work, but it's not a direct replacement and I just don't have a minute of extra time right now, so modifying the mount is out of the question.

I'm going to check out this fix when I go to Havasu in June. http://www.randrproducts.net/

For now, it looks as if I'll be sending MP some more $.

Ranman
05-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm not entirely sure of the hours on my pump. There's 250 on the engine but I only put on 100 of those. Not sure if the owner changed the pump before I got it. In any case, I find it ridiculous that there are no wear plates in these pumps. It would have been cheap and easy for Merc to put a couple of thin SS plates in the pumps.
I checked out the two pumps MOP mentioned. The crank mount would be nice, but with my blower pulley it'd take up the last bit of room I have in that area. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but I do use that space when squeezing in there. The other one would work, but it's not a direct replacement and I just don't have a minute of extra time right now, so modifying the mount is out of the question.
I'm going to check out this fix when I go to Havasu in June. http://www.randrproducts.net/
For now, it looks as if I'll be sending MP some more $.

I agree on the wear plates. I've heard of the "kits" coming from the aftermarket like R&R's. I'm going to run what I have for right now and evaluate my options. I have to admit (oh, and this is gonna be a bomb coming from me), that for the cruising world, this type of crap from Merc will push me closer to Volvo in the future.

Grizz, someone told me the plastic pumps won't fit on the new merc motors. Mine's an '04 350 MAG, can you confirm?