PDA

View Full Version : $9.20, so it could be worse.....

gcarter
05-10-2008, 02:48 PM
That's what they're paying in Germany! :eek!: :eek!:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,3328290,00.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DW-WORLD.DE | Print

Anger at German Fuel Taxes as Petrol Prices Increase

German motorists expressed anger at rising fuel prices Saturday, the start of the Whitsun holiday weekend, while opposition politicians called for a cut in fuel taxes.

German motorists saw the prices for a liter of petrol break through 1.50 euros ($2.30) for the first time, with diesel only marginally cheaper at 1.45 euros.

"It's those people at the top who are spoiling it for the rest of us," a woman motorist who declined to be named told national commercial broadcaster n-tv.

Newspapers carried graphs showing how the price of petrol had risen from 80 cents a liter in 1998 to crash through 1.00 euro in early 2000, 1.20 in 2004 and 1.35 in 2005.

Price on the rise since the end of 2007

While 2006 saw a steady fall to a low of 1.21 euros, since November of that year the course has been steadily upwards.

In a break-down of the price, the MWV mineral oil association said 65 cents of the price went to fuel tax with a further 24 cents taken in value-added tax (VAT).

The product itself cost only 51 cents, while petrol stations were taking just under 10 cents a liter.

Rainer Bruederle, deputy leader of the opposition free-market FDP, blamed the German state. "The real oil sheikhs are in Berlin," he told Saturday's Frankfurter Rundschau newspaper.

German Automobile Association (ADAC) Deputy President Ulrich Klaus Becker called on the government to consider cutting environmental taxes and to increase the tax allowance for traveling to work.

The surge in the petrol price came after oil broke the $125-a-barrel mark on Friday.

DW staff / DPA (nda)

DW-WORLD.DE | Print

DW staff / DPA (nda) | www.dw-world.de | © Deutsche Welle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jraysray
05-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I had an Aussie brother from down under visiting my refinery a couple of weeks ago. He was amazed about how cheap our gas is. :eek::eek:

He was also amazed about the size of the cars we drive, the amount of food served at the resturants and loved Coors lite. It's all relative I guess.

He also said the sun was in the wrong place we drive on the wrong side of the road and hates George Bush but he loved his visit and loves "The States".

Word of Wisdom,,,,, Don't ever call an Aussie a Brit.... That's fightin' words!!!!

Oh yeah, the gas price sucks and I make the stuff. Try pulling up to a pump with your nomex on and an instant aggresive conversation starts with anyone on the other side.

I always say "brother I pay the same as you".

FISHIN SUCKS
05-11-2008, 05:04 AM
I am in Sydney right now, $1.41/litre. The cheapest I saw in Melbourne last week was $1.29/litre. These are figures for 91 octane (the lowest offered here). Now when I was in Brazil 2 weeks ago, $0.86/litre (converted to US Funds). Sucks everywhere it seems other than Ecuador, but who in the he!! would want to live there (what a dump:puke:)? Even though gas was only $1.10/gallon (US Funds), still a dump! Does anyone have any insight on a possible positive future? You know, like a good stock tip or something?:nilly: