PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help

onesubdrvr
05-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Well, I need A LOT of help, but that's a different issue :bonk::)

Many of you know, I've been turning wrenches my whole life, and am ready to move on. I finish my Software Engineering degree in December, but am looking to transition to the field before then. A lot of my interest lays in web-design - though I've only done a little, easy stuff so-far.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you IT guys could give me some resume' pointers for my resume. I've got a few jobs up north I'm going to apply for, and will be spending some time this weekend on it, and just want something that's not going to seem too entry level though I am.

Thanks in advance!
Wayne

gcarter
05-10-2008, 11:11 AM
What does "Up North" mean?
Jacksonville?
If it's farther North than that, maybe ya need to look at Texas.

LOL!
I just noticed the line undeer your avatar.....

"Which way do we go?????"

onesubdrvr
05-10-2008, 11:17 AM
What does "Up North" mean?
Jacksonville?
If it's farther North than that, maybe ya need to look at Texas.
LOL,.... way farther north than that; The wifes family is in Connecticut, so I'm looking up that way (looking in Florida too, but if I'm going to move from my beautiful house, it's going to be worth the move).

I must say that things have been tough with all the kids and no "support" network. My wife haven't had dinner alone in over 4 1/2 years now. Now we love our kids, but having baby-sitters in the area would be nice :wink: . My Father-in-law and his wife moved back to Connecticut about 9 months ago, but had gotten to where they wouldn't watch the kids - can't blame them really, he had 3 strokes in the last year they were here. My folks live in Georgia, and an area that wouldn't be good for much of my employment,.... my sister lives in Keystone Heights, but she's got her hands full with an un-employed husband and 2 kids.

I really don't want to leave Florida, but it is a possibility.

gcarter
05-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Maybe what you need is an Au Pair from France...:eek!::eek!:

No kidding, it works

http://exchanges.state.gov/education/jexchanges/private/aupair_brochure.htm

onesubdrvr
05-10-2008, 09:50 PM
You know something George,.... I'm really going to have to check that out in more detail,.... actually, I'll sick the wife on it....

Neat link, thanks!
Wayne

MOP
05-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Wayne if you do make it up to CT you will be right across the sound from this old fart@#@#@#!!!

Phil

onesubdrvr
05-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Wayne if you do make it up to CT you will be right across the sound from this old fart@#@#@#!!!

Phil
I know :D,.... if it happens, I'm going to have to have lunch with 'ya on my way up there.

Cari is interviewing next week for a state job up there, we'll wait and see.

Either way though Phil, next time I'm up that way, I'll have to give 'ya a buzz!

Wayne

Cuda
05-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Actually, Jacksonville isn't a bad idea for a job search. It's about the only city in Florida, that's still growing, and a lot of the new businesess are white collar type. I remember when Jax was nothing but industrail businesses. You could smell it 30 miles before you got there. We're working a job up there right now. As a matter of fact, that's why I woke up at 4am, and couldn't go back to sleep, because I'm so pissed off at the super, for wanting us to be there today for no good damn reason.:mad:

My mom is 75, just how many more Mother's Days does that ahole think I have with her. I planned on surprising her, and driving to St Pete today, but instead, I'm headed to Jax.:garfield:

Good luck with your search Wayne, don't leave the Sunshine State, unless you have to. There has never been enough money ever printed to get me to live up north. I won't live anywhere that grits aren't on the menu! :)

onesubdrvr
05-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Actually, Jacksonville isn't a bad idea for a job search. It's about the only city in Florida, that's still growing, and a lot of the new businesess are white collar type. I remember when Jax was nothing but industrail businesses. You could smell it 30 miles before you got there. We're working a job up there right now. As a matter of fact, that's why I woke up at 4am, and couldn't go back to sleep, because I'm so pissed off at the super, for wanting us to be there today for no good damn reason.:mad:

My mom is 75, just how many more Mother's Days does that ahole think I have with her. I planned on surprising her, and driving to St Pete today, but instead, I'm headed to Jax.:garfield:

Good luck with your search Wayne, don't leave the Sunshine State, unless you have to. There has never been enough money ever printed to get me to live up north. I won't live anywhere that grits aren't on the menu! :)
Joe, I grew up in Jacksonville, and man was that paper plant horrible.

I have really grown to appreciate Jacksonville for it's boating, but don't know if I want to live their again, especially as it puts me a little closer to my parents, but no closer to any "support" if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean about the grits, and my wife (though a northerner) loves grits, so I know she'll keep 'em around ;)

Sorry to hear about your screwed up day today, sounds like the super is a wiener, take care, and hope to see 'ya soon.

Wayne

Team Jefe
05-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Wayne G has a point about Texas. Houston and Austin have some real significant IT, Computer business...Its all Greek to this ole Oil field Trash boy, but My Brother and I were just in Austin yesterday boat shopping and the area around Lake Travis is awesome. Cost of Living is pricey by Texas standards, but Cheap compared to FL or CT...abd boating is off the chain in both locations. Still no support, but you'd be nearer to me:wink:

onesubdrvr
05-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Wayne G has a point about Texas. Houston and Austin have some real significant IT, Computer business...Its all Greek to this ole Oil field Trash boy, but My Brother and I were just in Austin yesterday boat shopping and the area around Lake Travis is awesome. Cost of Living is pricey by Texas standards, but Cheap compared to FL or CT...abd boating is off the chain in both locations. Still no support, but you'd be nearer to me:wink:
The cost of housing difference in the US is pretty astounding. I could deal with Texas, and I've heard that the IT industry is pretty big there. BUT, me being close to you could present problems as I try to limit severe hangovers :alky:to once a month ;)
Talk to you soon amigo!
Wayne