PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Minx restoration

VetteLT193
05-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I can't find my old thread so this is a new one... I'm sure I won't get into nearly as much detail as GCarter on his threads, but I can add a few things here and there.

My boat is a 1988 Minx, 350/Alpha 1. It was originally a 25th anniversary boat (gray/red) with the Italian windshield.

VetteLT193
05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
So far, I'm at the point of filling holes. I don't intend on ever having a ****pit cover again, and if for some reason I (or some future owner) do want one the snaps are easy to install anyway.

A guy at OSO (I think glassdave) suggested this crazy bit to bore the snap holes out. it gives a good surface to work with and cuts through any cracking and pulling of the gel surrounding the hole.

VetteLT193
05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Here are before/after shots of a hole.

The pic of the aftershot looks like there is still cracking... the camera did a good job picking up everything in that picture, I can't even feel the crack with a fingernail, it looks like i can buff it out if need be.

VetteLT193
05-10-2008, 09:32 AM
here's another after shot of a different hole.

My next step is filler...

gcarter
05-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Arrrrgh! Cracks! :doh: :(
Ya gotta gett'em all out! :smash: They'll print right through!
I usually use a fairly large c'sink and then widen that out if necessary.
But I like the looks of that bit. Maybe if you hold it real steady you can use it to widen the hole a bit and get those suckers.

VetteLT193
05-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Arrrrgh! Cracks! :doh: :(
Ya gotta gett'em all out! :smash: They'll print right through!
I usually use a fairly large c'sink and then widen that out if necessary.
But I like the looks of that bit. Maybe if you hold it real steady you can use it to widen the hole a bit and get those suckers.

The bit is really easy to work with using a cordless drill. I got it at harbor freight, it came in a kit with other bits similar.

I have been making sure to get all the cracks out so far so good. Mother's day set me back a day, but no big deal. I should be done with the filling at the end of the week.

My wife wants to use the boat this weekend. It may be a bit embarrassing in it's current state but I'll take a day on the boat no matter what! With the trip planned for this weekend, I'm pushing making the dash template back until after that. I'm also curious to see how the boat feels on the water with no windshield because I've considering shortening it or making a new one.

jimishooch
05-12-2008, 08:27 AM
which windshield do you have? i have the italian and am looking to replace the plexi, any ideas on who can do this?
thanx
jim

VetteLT193
05-12-2008, 09:02 AM
which windshield do you have? i have the italian and am looking to replace the plexi, any ideas on who can do this?
thanx
jim

Mine is Italian too. This place seems to be mentioned a lot around here for replacement plexi: http://www.updplastics.com/

I am strongly considering getting static cling tint for mine. Wal mart sells static cling tint, it's pretty easy to work with if you are patient, and will basically make it look brand new tint it on the outside.

VetteLT193
05-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Well, I haven't had a chance to fill and sand yet. But, I started laying out the dash. Here's a pic of some of my new goodies.

MOP
05-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I have done quite a bit of that over the years, you need to mellow the holes a lot better! Meaning pull the outer edges out further the need to taper in toward the hole, that is the only way they will hold up and not show up quicker then you think. A good hot summer will crack the gel in a heart beat if not tapered well out from the holes.

Phil

VetteLT193
05-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm only going as far as I need to on each hole... this one was an extreme example, most of them are pretty small and not dug out on the sides.

Thanks for the tip, I'll mellow the deep ones out so I don't see anything in the future!

margo
05-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I used the same guages on my Minx....Pulled out the dash and sprayed it with a silver gray hammer finish...Been working on it since last yr. almost done just finished rebuilding the hatch the balsa core was rotted out...Sent pics in last i think oct. don,t know if there still on...My windshield is the dark lexon original....I wetsanded it with 2000 and buffed it out came like new Lots of luck with your Minx....Haven,t tried mine out yet...Joe

VetteLT193
05-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I went out in the boat on Saturday for the final run before pulling everything. Keep in mind the boat is in project mode... sanded, no windshield, all hardware removed except the bare essentials. My registration numbers are currently put on with marker because I sanded off the old ones... I was actually getting laughed at... until I started it up. A few guys instantly woke up and came over with the usual, what's in there? what kind of cam? man that sounds good!

Sunday I pulled the steering wheel and the whole dash. I bought poster board from wal mart that has a grid pre printed on it. I'm going to make my dash template with the poster board this week. Donzi did a real wiz-bang job cutting the hole behind the dash plate. A monkey could have done a cleaner job... I can't complain too much though, so far it's the only build complaint I have with the boat.

gcarter
05-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I went out in the boat on Saturday for the final run before pulling everything. Keep in mind the boat is in project mode... sanded, no windshield, all hardware removed except the bare essentials. My registration numbers are currently put on with marker because I sanded off the old ones... I was actually getting laughed at... until I started it up. A few guys instantly woke up and came over with the usual, what's in there? what kind of cam? man that sounds good!
Sunday I pulled the steering wheel and the whole dash. I bought poster board from wal mart that has a grid pre printed on it. I'm going to make my dash template with the poster board this week. Donzi did a real wiz-bang job cutting the hole behind the dash plate. A monkey could have done a cleaner job... I can't complain too much though, so far it's the only build complaint I have with the boat.
So what did you think of the wiring job they did?

VetteLT193
05-19-2008, 10:49 AM
So what did you think of the wiring job they did?

The wiring is a cluster-f@#$.

I started labeling every wire, then realized I wouldn't be using half of it and labeled the main switch wires and tied together the last of the important wires with labels. The plug in harnesses is the best part of the setup, but you can't tell what goes where. As far as I can tell the wire colors were selected to have as little contrast as possible. I generally select heavy contrast between positive and negative. But, for example on the gauge lighting what's wired in is white and off white layered in 20 years of dirt.

When I do the new dash I'm going to pull the old dash back out and compare everything on the fly and probably re-wire everything.

Also: Once the new dash is complete in a few weeks I'll have a stock dash available if anyone needs pieces and parts of it.

VetteLT193
05-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Here is the dash template I started to make. I bought grid poster board, each box on the grid is a half-inch. I cut new blank 'panels' out of the board, then cut gauge sized circles out of paper. This is a semi-close up of the middle of the dash.

The break in the paper is the bend in the dash, because the Minx is not a flat dash like the regular classics. The pencil line boxes represent the area where I know I can put gauges because I'm 100% confident the dash is cut out that far. As you can see, I'm past the pencil lines so I might do a bit of trimming.

Tonight I'll cut out switches, breakers, ignition, cig lighters, etc. and try to lay everything out.

Oh, and the gauges with stars have orange needles... the rest are all black. I'm trying to visually group everything so it looks proper.

VetteLT193
05-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Here's an update of the dash. I got sick as a dog so it's taking longer than expected, but last night I managed to get the templates on the boat.

I literally screwed the template into the dash. After that I shined a work light behind the dash in order to find the exact area that is already cut out. If possible I'll stick to the area already cut instead of chopping more of the dash out. Note how crappy the holes the factory cut are. There is still marker outlining the holes from the factory back there too.

Don't mind the mess, I just used the boat last weekend and I haven't cleaned out all my junk yet.

joseph m. hahnl
05-23-2008, 07:52 AM
When I do the new dash I'm going to pull the old dash back out and compare everything on the fly and probably re-wire everything.

Most of that stuff is Daisey chained. If you really think about it most of it is illumination wires. If you keep the rockers close to the circuit breakers you can cut down on the length of the wires I am planing on converting my gauge back lighting to LED. I can't justify $5.00 for a Krypton bulb. Noway Nohow!

All of my Warning indicators are converted to LED .

joe

VetteLT193
05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Most of that stuff is Daisey chained. If you really think about it most of it is illumination wires. If you keep the rockers close to the circuit breakers you can cut down on the length of the wires I am planing on converting my gauge back lighting to LED. I can't justify $5.00 for a Krypton bulb. Noway Nohow!

All of my Warning indicators are converted to LED .

joe

For sure... 75% or more of the wires are power+ground for lighting and gauge power. Gives me a whole new appreciation for mechanical gauges.

I thought about LED, but a bit pricey. Livorsi wants $8 per gauge and that adds up quick. I also don't use the boat at night that much anyway. Although, with the LED's it would look bad azz at the dock at night.

VetteLT193
05-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I've been buying parts here and there as I can find them.

The most recent purchase to arrive is a stainless crossover from another member. I really didn't care about it being perfect because it is stainless and I really want to dump the water pump. Plus I'm most concerned about price these days, and the price was right:) Even though it arrived fully functional (obvious) I couldn't help but polish it back to almost new condition...

no, this isn't a plug for aluminum polish on SS, I just keep that polish with my powerball mini :) I mainly used another product called MAAS

VetteLT193
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Well, I needed a break from the current crossover issues so I got back on the dash part of the project.

I wrote Ultra Panel because I like GCarters dash out of his old Minx. We wrote back and forth a few times and I even sent them pictures of my templates as well as pictures of GCarters dash.

Ultra Panel claimed they didn't make GCarter's dash (I'm pretty confident George knows where he spent is money, and I was complimenting them on their work so you would think they would have taken the credit). I went back and forth for a few more emails, just asking if they could make me a dash from my template and what a rough price would be. I was very specific in what I wanted. All I wanted was a rough estimate based on my very specific details including measurements and pictures of the template. I couldn't get even a rough estimate out of them...

So, I made my own dash yesterday afternoon. Doing the work is tedious more than difficult. Materials for the dash panel cost under $20. Everything including gauges, switches, and a new ignition switch cost under $300.

My internet is down and I didn't have a chance to snap pictures so I will post pics tomorrow. The dash looks a bit plain right now, white on white, so I think I'm going to break down and buy Bezels to spruce it up.

gcarter
06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Is Ivo no longer there?

VetteLT193
06-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Ana Linares is the one I bounced back and forth with. I didn't think it would be an issue who I was working with. Either way, it all worked out. I spent less and got to really position the gauges well. My only complaint about your Minx panel was the spacing between the gauges on the right. I know it was inevitable because of the dash support behind the panel and the change in angle between right and left.

I made an 'important' gauge panel that went between the junk box and that middle support. I managed to get 7 gauges in there (speed, tach, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, water pressure, fuel level). I only had to barely trim one spot on the actual dash because Donzi did a crappy job cutting it the first time.

On the right side dash panel I gave good separation by putting the switches on the very left side, then put 2 basic gauges that I don't look at often (volts, fuel pressure). To the right of the wheel is trim. I still have an hour meter left over... I might replace one of the other odd ball gauges with it (like fuel pressure or water pressure). I haven't decided yet.

I'll leave it the way it is for now to see how it holds up over time. Worst case is something happens to it and I will attempt Ultra panel again

cutwater
06-10-2008, 02:05 PM
I might replace one of the other odd ball gauges with it (like fuel pressure or water pressure). I haven't decided yet.

Are you talking about getting rid of the water pressure gauge? I wish my dash had one, why remove it?

VetteLT193
06-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Are you talking about getting rid of the water pressure gauge? I wish my dash had one, why remove it?

I have too many gauges. I'll post pics tomorrow. There just isn't enough real estate on the Minx dash to have a huge collection of gauges so I have to compromise somewhere.

If I compromise now I'll probably get rid of the fuel pressure gauge because I don't have a sender for it anyway. But of course I plan on adding one when I install the Barry Grant carb... So, I just don't know. I really want them all.

I'm looking for gauge pods, I thought Livorsi made some powdercoat ones but I don't see them on their site anymore.

cutwater
06-10-2008, 02:29 PM
But of course I plan on adding one when I install the Barry Grant carb...

You had to throw that in there to make me jealous, didn't ya? :wink:

VetteLT193
06-10-2008, 02:31 PM
You had to throw that in there to make me jealous, didn't ya? :wink:

If you want to get really jealous I think I'm about to pull the trigger on new exhaust too :eek!:

I still haven't figured out steering though...

gcarter
06-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Don't forget the space to the right where the trim switches are.

VetteLT193
06-11-2008, 08:01 AM
here's the pics... Keep in mind there is no cutting of the dash involved with this setup. The gauges line up with the holes Donzi cut (except for one small trim in one spot). I set the old helm in to see what it would look like. The hole below the trim gauge on the right is for the kill switch.

I set the left side piece in the boat last night just to see how it looks... The all white look is growing on me.

VetteLT193
06-11-2008, 09:56 AM
EMI Thuder exhaust is on its way, should be to me by the end of next week:)

I'll finish the Crossover install at that time, probably change the plugs out while the manifolds are off too.

When everything is said and done, I should be 100 or so pounds lighter.

I have been looking for a painter with zero luck. It's pretty crazy to not be able to find someone to spray the boat when I'm flexible on time frame and location (I'll drag it up to 500 miles if need be). I had one guy give me a quote for Awlgrip, he was at $2k, I am fine with the price so I ask when and where... and now he isn't calling back. Another was at $3k, no longer emailing me back. Both are slammed with work and seem to care less. (and the economy is bad?) Does anyone know someone who does this kind of thing on the side?

I had planned on doing the job myself with Interlux perfection, but just before ordering I re-read the spec sheets in detail and it is clear you can't apply over any existing 1 part paint. So, the only option is to downgrade to Petit Easypoxy but I am not sure how good it will look rolled / tipped. I don't have a good location to spray, so that is out unless I really try to figure out some sort of tent solution.

VetteLT193
06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Take a look at this diagram: http://www.eddiemarine.com/techsupport/assets/emi_plumbing1.pdf

The top part (stock merc) is exactly how my boat was set up.

Using that method, where does the water go in the manifold? where does the air go?

I'm asking because I have a time constraint issue. I'm probably dragging the boat to the keys this weekend for paint and interior. It is going to take some time so I'd like it in running condition so it can be started (and possibly used by my brother)

So, can I put my hoses back the way they were, like the Eddie Marine diagram?

gcarter
06-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Take a look at this diagram: http://www.eddiemarine.com/techsupport/assets/emi_plumbing1.pdf
The top part (stock merc) is exactly how my boat was set up.
Using that method, where does the water go in the manifold? where does the air go?
I'm asking because I have a time constraint issue. I'm probably dragging the boat to the keys this weekend for paint and interior. It is going to take some time so I'd like it in running condition so it can be started (and possibly used by my brother)
So, can I put my hoses back the way they were, like the Eddie Marine diagram?
If you have open gaskets in the joints.

VetteLT193
06-13-2008, 06:54 AM
If you have open gaskets in the joints.

That makes sense, Thanks!