PDA

View Full Version : Nees suggestions on a good stereo for the Donzi...

Donziweasel
05-10-2008, 08:31 AM
I have had too many crappy marine stereos in the past. Most sound like crap and are cheap. Well, the stereo in the 16 crapped out on me last summer and I need to replace it. Want a good quality stereo that doesn't sound like crap and won't break the bank either. Might consider a small amp as well and a small sub. Remember, can't have huge subs and stuff as it is only a 16. Any suggestions?

show-n-go h2o
05-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I have a sony cd/mp3 head unit paired with sony marine speakers, and a few subs and amps. The sony stuff has been great for the 4 years it has been in there, thats also what Donzi put in there new

Donziweasel
05-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks Show, I will look at the Sony stuff. Mine has the original from 1997. It has no CD and a tape deck! Even if it hadn't crapped out, I still needed to replace it.

VetteLT193
05-10-2008, 09:45 AM
The new marine sony's are really chunky units, probably designed for a yacht or big cruiser. They are nice though.

My brother has an older version of this unit : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CLARION-CMD4A-MARINE-BOAT-STEREO-CD-PLAYER-CMD4-A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31275QQihZ020QQitemZ3 00221081018QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

8 years old, still working great. and you don't need that ugly cover to go over it because it's waterproof. I think I'm going to get one for my boat too.

Also, my brother's is mounted out of the way up high on the passenger floor board. He has 2 remote control units that control it.

Marlin275
05-10-2008, 10:22 AM
My favorite!
Don't cut holes
Now you can dance on your Donzi, anytime

Before the ipod
the I-box

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8820&d=1105456890

or even this?

http://www.w3sh.com/archives/gansta3.jpg

hardcrab
05-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I Agree with Marlin,
You get the most bang for the buck, they sound great.
Plus it's portable and has a remote control. (keep it in a zip lock baggie)
You store the thing in a duffle bag while under way (you can't hear it then anyway)
And : NO HOLES - especially nice in the smaller models.

Marlin275
05-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I got speakers cut in my boat before I bought it.
Don't need it!
Nothing like the sound of that big V-8 starting up after a long hot day on the anchor.

Donziweasel
Don't you need to hear the call of the wild?
One moose that sneaks up on you hip hoppin on that sweet 16
and that's the end of a good day?

VetteLT193
05-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm beginning to think that the Donzi guys that don't like stereos have never heard a good stereo in a Donzi :wink:

hardcrab
05-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm think'in the Donzi guys that can hear their stereo need more motor !

:hyper: :cool: :wink:

VetteLT193
05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm think'in the Donzi guys that can hear their stereo need more motor !
:hyper: :cool: :wink:

You win:)

Team Jefe
05-12-2008, 09:19 PM
John being in the salty air, I have different thought on stereo's. First Marine stereo's are pricey....I've had one, a clarion. It lasted about 2 seasons. So now, I buy a really nice reguilar car model with all the bells and whistles, remote, everything for about the same as a marine version....and just replace it every 2-3 years. Generally the radio craps out within 1-2 years, but I listen to CD and Ipod anyway...and I have a marine band on my VHF so I don't need it from my stereo.

Down side I have to repalce it...up side I get all the new technology

Donziweasel
05-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks Jefe, will probably buy a nice non-marine system off the shelf. Never had a marine radio that lasted more than a couple of years anyway.

BTW- My 16 has Livorsi non-muffled tips. Even with a huge amp, sub, and nice system, I wouldn't hear it running anyway, and for that matter, don't want to. Rather listen to the sweet sound of my engine. BUT, while floating in a group, swimming, or just chilling, it is nice to turn on some tunes.

yeller
05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
John being in the salty air, I have different thought on stereo's. First Marine stereo's are pricey....I've had one, a clarion. It lasted about 2 seasons. So now, I buy a really nice reguilar car model with all the bells and whistles, remote, everything for about the same as a marine version....and just replace it every 2-3 years. Generally the radio craps out within 1-2 years, but I listen to CD and Ipod anyway...and I have a marine band on my VHF so I don't need it from my stereo.
Down side I have to repalce it...up side I get all the new technologyI've always used automotive equipment (HU, amp, speakers) and I too live near the salt. Mine however last much more than 2-3 years. Most of the damage occurs during prolonged storage (at least for me) due to moisture in the fall/winter months, so I remove it at the end of every season. If you have heated storage, then you don't have to.

Definately take Jefe's advice and skip the marine stuff.

BUT, while floating in a group, swimming, or just chilling, it is nice to turn on some tunes.And this is exactly why a stereo is needed in a Donzi. I hate listening to my motor when it's turned off. :wink::)

mrfixxall
05-13-2008, 10:57 AM
I have had too many crappy marine stereos in the past. Most sound like crap and are cheap. Well, the stereo in the 16 crapped out on me last summer and I need to replace it. Want a good quality stereo that doesn't sound like crap and won't break the bank either. Might consider a small amp as well and a small sub. Remember, can't have huge subs and stuff as it is only a 16. Any suggestions?

Lets face it,,trying to get a fm station in a boat is almost inpossible so i just hooked up a i pod to my amp and speakers and it works great. no lugging cd around:wink: just get yourself a good powerful amp and good speakers and the rca y cord that best buy sells for the i pod and be done with the radio thing..

MOP
05-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Open exhaust and a nice cam is all a "REAL DONZITE" needs for pure pleasure!

yeller
05-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Open exhaust and a nice cam is all a "REAL DONZITE" needs for pure pleasure!Whats that exhaust sound like when your beached? :wink:

JimG
05-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I like the Clarion CMD5. That's the unit I'm running in the Pace. Clarion is finally getting it right. Everything is stainless and and all connections are gold plated. It's the OEM stereo of choice in everything from runabouts to my buddy's million dollar 52 Searay.

I would not have a stereo in the Donzi, except the previous owner cut a hole in the dash and jammed one in there...:hangum:

smokediver
05-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Depends on how high the keel gaurd raises the bow :D :D :D
Now that's funny !!! I happen to have both ... wouldn't have it ANY OTHER WAY !!!!!:lookaroun: