PDA

View Full Version : Vali IV Par 36 Headlights Strobe Controller

rustnrot
05-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Huh?

We are rebuilding a Vali IV headlight fin boat (pic attached). We are going to strobe the headlights like a cop car. If I were 30 years younger I'm sure I'd know all about headlight strobes!

There are some cheap units on ebay but they come with the zenon bulbs attached. These bulbs fit inside your existing headlight. In our case we must use 4" Par 36 zenon lamps to fit the bezels. Methinks I can cut the bulbs off the controller and connect the Par 36's -- comments??

FYI there are about a dozen of these boat in existence. They were made in Coldwater, MI about 1957. The aluminum trim on the sides is very similar to Fords of that era. In fact, the gold anodized inside trim is EXACT to Ford and we found a guy in PA who reproduces the stuff.

Ed Donnelly
05-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Very Cool boat.. Be careful with the headlights. Pretty well illegal everywhere in North American unless you are a peace officer....Ed

onesubdrvr
05-10-2008, 11:01 AM
That certainly is an interesting boat,..... I'm sure these boats are very sentimental to people, but that one does nothing for me, I'm sorry.

Non the less, I can appreciate uniqueness, and from that stand point, I love it :)

Wayne

Boatclinic
05-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey , I Love it. Do your thing on this boat and I know it will be a winner.
Don

Morgan's Cloud
05-12-2008, 10:01 AM
That certainly is an interesting boat,..but that one does nothing for me, I'm sorry.
Wayne
OUCH ! Such brutal honesty :bonk: :biggrin.:
Seriously though .... maybe I'm just a little too practical in my boating pursuits , but were those 'headlights' that prominent for a reason ? I mean , were they there so you could just go out and have fun at night too ?
I can relate to the automotive styling as that was a phase that many an industry went through.
Those tubes could almost be converted to torpedo launchers ... I could think of a few worthwhile targets without any effort at all ! !
Otherwise I think they're great floating pieces of Americana ...
Gotta stop watching so much Antiques Roadshow...