PDA

View Full Version : Inboard rudder help

AIRGRADY
05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
My 1976 Hornet has a rudder assy that has a large amount of vertical travel now. When I first purchased the boat there was approx 1/8 inch vertical movement in the rudder. Now the rudder is moving about one inch vertically. The only numbers on the rudder assy are "Dm 104" on the top access cap. Any thoughts on what to do? Rebuild kit? I dont want to use the boat if the steering is unsafe.
Ok all you inboard guru's, I'm needing some help here.

pics in the registry of transom

AIRGRADY
05-08-2008, 03:55 PM
My mechanic just did, appears to have corrosion issues.
Are parts available?
Anyone know who the manufacturer is?

Any help is appreciated

Bob
05-08-2008, 08:16 PM
There was rudder and rudder housing info on the board a few years ago. If I recall, new, unchromed castings were available for around $700. Metal prices have gone up lately with the dollars fall.
I think the rudders were available in Jacksonville.
If you take the cap off the rudder housing, the tiller is mounted on the rudder shaft with a key. A bolt aft holds it tight. If the tiller arm comes loose, the rudder shaft goes south fast (to the bottom). You also have a very leaky boat since water will come up the rudder housing and into the boat where the tiller goes through the transom. Important to grease the shaft even though everything is bronze.
I have an extra rudder housing for a 16 V drive if anyone wants it. Smaller than the one on the Hornet.

MOP
05-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Not sure of your setup but most have a collar with a set bolt, to gain as much slack as you have it seems as if you have the collar it came loose and the rudder dropped down. Look to see if you have the collar I speak of, if so block the rudder up where it needs to be then remove the set screw and take a 1/4" drill bit and drill a dimple into the rudders shank then put the bolt back in with a little blur loc-tite. Now on some assy they use the tiller arm to do the same job, you can do the same procedure on it. The tiller arms are keyed so you may not feel any slack moving it side to side. Like mentioned above shot a pic I will know what you have.

Phil

VetteLT193
05-09-2008, 06:52 AM
The latest episode of ShipShape TV just covered this on the big Monterey they own... had a company custom make them new rudders and many of the steering system parts.

I can't remember the name of the company, but it may be worth googling.

BUIZILLA
05-09-2008, 07:12 AM
can't find the pic's in the gallery, but is this an internal or external rudder?

AIRGRADY
05-09-2008, 07:25 AM
External rudder housing bolted to transom. I cannot seem to find the registry to post the photo. I did some research last night and found Dahmer Marine Hardware Company. The casting on the top cap of the rudder has the markings "DM 104". I am assuming DM stands for Dahmer Marine. I'm going to give them a call this morning and see whats up.

rustnrot
05-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Airgrady, I am looking at a fax I got (2005) from Custom Propulsion Systems, 2900 Phoenix Ave, Jax, FL 32206 (I think they were previously known as Ellis Propeller). Phone number is 904-354-8233

They make the rudders, housing (with top--not sure if it says DM on it but looks the same) and housings. I don't think your gonna like the prices but give 'em a call.

Bob, if Poodle does not want the housing for the 16 v drive I have a friend with a 16 v drive boat who would probably want it.

PS, so they know what the heck you are talking about I think your housing is ERO-76 and in 2005 was $725.

Bob
05-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Poodle- Found it. Sent you a PM.

MOP
05-12-2008, 09:16 PM
By chance are the 28 Donzi rudders the same, if so I know where a nice pair are that I could see if the gent wants to part with.

AIRGRADY
05-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have been sick lately:( and have been unable to get with my mechanic to see exactly what is needed. I thank everyone for the help, assistance, and advice. Once I'm feeling better I will have photos and a parts list.
You guys are the best.
Thanks again,
Grady