PDA

View Full Version : amp location???

Schaf
05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
2004 22 classic installing 4 m650-ccx speakers and 1 jl m4300 amp.

Ok I have purchased all my equipment and ready to install but still not sure where to mount the amp.

If I mounted under bow
pros
easy to install
temperature should be better then in engine compartment

cons
18 feet of power line back to the battery switch
extra weight in the bow

if I mount the amp on the fire wall in the engine compartment

pros
much shorter power line
can adjust easily

cons
compartment temperature
long rca line
putting screws in the fire wall

Please let me know what you think is best and why. As always I appreciate everyone opinion. Thankss

Planetwarmer
05-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Is your battery in the stock location under the seat? If so, move it in front of the engine and put your amp in the battery compartment.:doh:

Schaf
05-07-2008, 07:46 PM
that batteries are in th stock position in the engine compartment.

f_inscreenname
05-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Mine is under the front deck. The couple pounds are nothing to worry about but the heat is. Amps don’t like heat at all. Motor compartment in the middle of summer, good luck. :hangum:

Tidbart
05-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Mine is under the front deck. The couple pounds are nothing to worry about but the heat is. Amps don’t like heat at all. Motor compartment in the middle of summer, good luck. :hangum:

What he said. Heat bad for amps. Need air for cooling.

B

slapshot11
05-07-2008, 08:23 PM
The amp in my 22 is in the front "ski locker". Heat isn't a problem but the location is a pain in the butt with the wires etc.

Z-Man
05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
The heat in the engine compartment will keep cutting the amp out until it fries. You will be looking for a loose wire when it's the amp that the problem since it is overheating. I agree with the above comments. Run long power wires and hopefully you will be making waves!

osur866
05-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Mounting the amp under deck and running large enough power wires to the batt. won't be a problem, think of where they mount most amps in cars, in the trunk and run the cable to the batt. under the hood, mounting under deck will also have less chance of noise from the alternator. Steve

ITTLFLI
05-09-2008, 07:46 AM
I had a 22 that I mounted it on the back of the bulkhead in the engine compartment and it worked fine for 3 years.

The 22 I have now the previous owner screwed a peice of 1x wood to the back side of where the passengers feet go and screwed the amp to that. He did all his connecting with lag screws. I replaced all that hardware with thru bolted stainless.

I would recommend the 2nd option mainly because its a cleaner installation.

Madcow
05-11-2008, 06:29 AM
The other problem with the engine compartment is moisture. espcialy when you wash your engine.