PDA

View Full Version : The Killer Pinz Lives......

Donziweasel
05-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Got the ole' girl out this spring to move. Ran great after sitting all winter. Then, after a week of moving, she developed some leaks. This is my next resto project after the Bronco. Shouldn't be near as long a project as I am not going to have to do a body off resto. The body is in great shape, no rust. The engine will be bumped from a 2.5L to a 2.7L. There is also a new fuel injection kit on the market. Towed the Donzi with it a few times. Talk about ahead turner, a very unique boat behind a very unique ride.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/KillerPinz.jpg

gcarter
05-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Tell us about the breeding of this beast......what is it and where does it come from?

Donziweasel
05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
George, that is my 1974 Stery-Puch Pinzgauer 712 6x6. It is the Swiss version of our Hummer. 6 wheel drive, 5 spd, lo/hi range, AND 6 wheel locking diffs. It also goes where Hummer fear to tread.:eek!:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/HubPinz1.jpg

Donziweasel
05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know if we could have moved without it. We loaded it 10 times from our old house to our new, and had movers one day.

When restored, hoping for something like this, but a ligth forest green instead of black.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/712M_6_customblack.jpg

BERTRAM BOY
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
What is the top speed?

Donziweasel
05-08-2008, 11:31 AM
It will run all day at 60 mph and I can get to 65 if I need to. I am at 6000 ft though, so at an lower elevation, it might hit 70. It is geared pretty damn low, but they offer a overdrive gear in the tranny. I am looking into it. With the 2.7L kit and fuel injection, might be the way to go. Air cooled gas 4 cyl engine. Thinking about a turbo, but have to figure a way to control the heat with no cooling system.

zelatore
05-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Two thumbs up. I like it!

MOP
05-08-2008, 02:31 PM
At first I thought it might be a Moog, there are a few down by me of varying shapes and in varying shape! I like the idea of air cooled and possible turbo.

Donziweasel
05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
They were designed to be easy to fix in the field by the troops. No colling system meant no water pumps, thermostats, etc... to fix. Dual carbs. It is a very simply design. I almost got stuck once in 6wd. Then I locked the diffs, and away she went. Went through a river last year and had water coming in the doors. Even though she moved sideways down stream a little, she still went across. We named it the "Snuke". The back of it has rows of seats that will fit 14, or you can lay them all down for a gear hauling platform. Top and doors come off, or top can be rolled up. Windshield folds down. Has heat, but runs off a heat exchanger off the exhuast, not the best, but confortable down to about 20 degrees. I love it. Get a hell of a lot of looks, and even more when the Donzi is behind it. Not sure if they are looking at the Snuke or the boat.

I bought it a year and a half ago for 14,000.00. It has run perfect ever since. I do have a small leak on the fitting of the oil cooler that just showed up and a seeper on one of the wheel seals. Gets about 14-15 mpg @60 mph. They make a 4 wheel version called the 710, but bigger is better, right? Plus, the 710 only hold 10 troops. If I am going to make an assualt on a small community, I'd rather have 14 troops.:smash::eek!::wink:

We looked at Unimogs, but this has more capability and was cheaper. Boo Boo's real name is Margi and I was going to call it the Margimog. She was not amused.

Donziweasel
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
BTW, if you are interested in one, I recommend these guys-

http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/

They have every nut, bolt and part for them available, have a great reputation, and there Pinzguaers are pretty cheap. Take a look. There are some other good dealers as well, like Expedition Imports, but watch out, there are some real ****bags out there selling piece of craps.

Donziweasel
05-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Also, they made a rig called the Halflinger. Designed to be picked up by 4 soldiers in the field. Cute little bugger. 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel locking diffs, very capapble rig. Pic below.