PDA

View Full Version : "Ship's Clock/Barometer"-Trivial Question

Carl C
05-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I picked up this piece at the flea market to take to the cabin which is done up in a nautical theme. The more I look at it the more I wonder about the purpose of the three pegs on the front. Is something missing?

MOP
05-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Carl that would be a real guessing game!! My opinion they are normally mounted on a bulkhead using the back flange, what I would do is find a piece of mahogany router the edges stain it dark and varnish it and mount them on it they would look a ton better. Then you have the option of wall mounting or putting a base on it to shelve it.

Phil

Phil

Morgan's Cloud
05-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Not that I know anything about this stuff , but along with Phil , I'll take a guess at it ...
The barometer was definitely intended to be a wall mounted unit . My guess is that somewhere along the line , someone re-mounted them on that recycled piece of woodwork. They never actually came from the manufacturer on it.
Although , if that is what happened , why didn't they remove those pegs ? ?
Like I said ... Just a guess !
Steve

VetteLT193
05-08-2008, 10:17 AM
maybe a small shelf, or other ornamental piece was attached to the pegs at some point.

They almost always have the wall mount screws. real ships have things screwed in, so the stand is intended for display at a house, etc.

Carl C
05-08-2008, 11:35 AM
It's not a real ship's clock, just ornamental. I googled images of ships clocks and none had the pegs, which protrude from both sides BTW. Anyway it's NBD and it's going to the cabin as it is, thanks anyway though. I have another one hanging in my home office.

Trueser
05-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Something missing but what/

VetteLT193
05-08-2008, 12:23 PM
It's not a real ship's clock, just ornamental. I googled images of ships clocks and none had the pegs, which protrude from both sides BTW. Anyway it's NBD and it's going to the cabin as it is, thanks anyway though. I have another one hanging in my home office.

I know, but even the ornamental ones include the detail of the screw holes in the back because they wouldn't make sense otherwise, plus it offers more than one display option.

I was just trying to point out that the stand was probably sold with the clock and barometer new.